Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

HI Everyone,

Well, this is my extension from the previous post about vitamin D.. :D

Does anyone have any recommendations for multi vitamins? I was checking out the Bluebonnet vitamins and I seen a lot of the multi's have soybeans in them. This is one brand I haven't tried yet. But, I can eat soy once in a while. I'm not sure if it's something I can have every day. I was also looking into Freeda vitamins and Kirkland. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these?

I feel like I'm crazy and I'm the only one that can't tolerate a lot of vitamins even if they are gluten free. I used to take them all the time. I also have trouble with a lot of supposedly gluten free processed foods. It's really frustrating.

I know I just got glutened two days ago at my aunts house and I even brought my own meal, but I still got glutened some how. I'm just so sensitive... <_<

Here are the brands I had problems with: ( I'm not sure if all of them was from CC. It might be from other food allergies, but so far I haven't been able to confirm anything other than gluten. I think I'm just super sensitive..)
* GNC Womens Multi
Nature Made Multi
Country Life Muti & Calcium & D
Rainbow light Calcium & D
Whole foods Muti & Vitamin D
* Vitafusion Calcium & D

* These are the ones I got extremely sick for four months. The doctors thought I had lymphoma and I had to have lymph nodes removed. Everything was negative and it was just the celiac disease. As soon as I stopped the vitamins I got better.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

In my research on MSG, I discovered that one of the alias' is gelatin. A lot of supplements use a gelatin capsule -- though the binders in tablets may cause issues also. I have some Country Life Daily Total One vitamins that don't have a gelatin cap, but some of my other supplements do. Right now I've eliminated all supplements for a few days, and I'm going to try the one mentioned above and wait a day or 2 to see how I react.

It's a work in progress, I'm not sure whether the gelatin caps are even an issue for me, but I thought I'd throw out the possibility -- especially if you're sensitive to excitotoxins (aspartame and msg), as I am.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

In my research on MSG, I discovered that one of the alias' is gelatin.

Gelatin contains glutamic acid, not monosodium glutamate. They are very different.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Gelatin contains glutamic acid, not monosodium glutamate. They are very different.

Most of what I've seen says otherwise. Here are some links:

At one site the first part of the answer is quoted below, but the whole article has some interesting info:

Most gelatin contains a tiny amount of MSG (monosodium glutamate), which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid (an amino acid). MSG is a flavor enhancer and is sometimes called an "excitogen".

However, on this site it says that some of theirs, at any rate, is derived from collagen and is bound glutamic acid and not free glutamates. They also have a hydrolyzed product that does have a higher percent of free glutamic acid as compared to their non-hydrolyzed product. 0.09% vs 0.01%, so imho if one is sensitive it's best avoided when possible.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Your first link just makes a statement without any supporting evidence. All gelatin is made from collagen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

For my multi, I use Formula VM-75 by Solgar. The one I use is also iron free since I no longer need iron, but they have one that includes iron as well. This supplement is gluten free and soy free. I also use many other supplements by Bluebonnet that are soy free/gluten free but was unable to find a multi by them. Bluebonnet is one of my favorite brands for my supplements.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#7 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

My multivitamin (and my B-complex) is DC Labs brand gluten-free tablets (the size of horse pills). I think it is CF and SF also but I do not have bottle here with me as I write this. It was recommended by a friend's gluten-free nutritionist and I am told she checks these things out very thoroughly (although I have never met her). I have been taking these about a month and have noticed no ill-effects. Please be careful, I know you will be and good luck!
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#8 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

I should add that I am not sure if I am super-sensitive or not. I still have issues after 4 years, but not sure if it is due to gluten.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#9 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Check out www.supernutritionusa.com and see if theirs would work for you. I took their Simply One Prenatal and didn't seem to have any issues with it. It states that it "contains no gluten, wheat, yeast, buckwheat, sugar, pollen, dairy, corn or soy residues or any hidden additives.
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Lisa,
I use NOW brand vitamins.
I spoke with the company and they assured me no gluten, dairy, soy, etc.
Because my sweet hubs is a chemist, just for fun, he wanted to try those Gluten Test kits on my various vitamins & supplements--since those are the only things I take ingest regularly from a package that would have me wondering about the CC issue.
If it makes you feel any better, the ones we tested were all clear--- they were non- detectable to a level of 5 ppm--according to the test kit. (For what that's worth)
I feel comfortable using them and I have not noticed a reaction and I usually react strongly to trace CC.
It is my understanding that if a vitamin has soy lecithin in the glaze, it should not bother you if you have a soy protein intolerance.(as I do)
Just a suggestion!
Cheers,
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Country Life, LLC is one of the few companies that makes vitamin supplements and is certified by the GFCO. Their products have to meet a <10 ppm standard to be certified. They do make a multi-vitamin:
http://www.country-l....cfm?Category=6

If you go to the GFCO's certification website, you can look up all the companies that are certified by them, by category. There's a few other companies in the supplements category that might also be of use, although the above one seemed the most likely to have what you were looking for.

http://www.gfco.org/

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#12 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Lisa,
I use NOW brand vitamins.
I spoke with the company and they assured me no gluten, dairy, soy, etc.
Because my sweet hubs is a chemist, just for fun, he wanted to try those Gluten Test kits on my various vitamins & supplements--since those are the only things I take ingest regularly from a package that would have me wondering about the CC issue.
If it makes you feel any better, the ones we tested were all clear--- they were non- detectable to a level of 5 ppm--according to the test kit. (For what that's worth)
I feel comfortable using them and I have not noticed a reaction and I usually react strongly to trace CC.
It is my understanding that if a vitamin has soy lecithin in the glaze, it should not bother you if you have a soy protein intolerance.(as I do)
Just a suggestion!
Cheers,
IH

Thanks Irishheart! I already ordered some vitamins from Kirkman Labs a week ago and got them in the mail already. I think I'm going to start the Kirkman Lab vitamins tonight and then if I have any reactions I'll stop them and try the Now brand. But I do know I really need something. My energy is so low right now. I'm not sure if it's just because of the low vitamin D level I have right now, but it's just so hard for me to get motivated. It's so not like me. I think I'll look for the Now brand for Calcium & vitamin D, too. This is such great information.I really love how you & your hubby tested these vitamins - great idea! I was thinking about doing the same thing. :)

And thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You're so kind! Thank-you!!! :)
Lisa

#13 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Country Life, LLC is one of the few companies that makes vitamin supplements and is certified by the GFCO. Their products have to meet a <10 ppm standard to be certified. They do make a multi-vitamin:
http://www.country-l....cfm?Category=6

If you go to the GFCO's certification website, you can look up all the companies that are certified by them, by category. There's a few other companies in the supplements category that might also be of use, although the above one seemed the most likely to have what you were looking for.

http://www.gfco.org/

Thanks for the info Shauna!

I did have problems with Country Life vitamins last year and I had to stop them. I'm not sure if it was CC or something else, but I kept having a sore throat from them and when I stopped them my sore throat went away after three days of taking them. But now you got me thinking...I was taking other vitamins too, so I'm not 100% sure. Then when I was shopping for more vitamins I seen on one of their multi vitamins it said barley grass in ingredients and it said "certified gluten free." I couldn't believe it. I've been so afraid to buy anymore from Country Life after seeing that label. I've really lost faith in a lot of these companies. :unsure:

Are you taking these vitamins without any problems? Thanks Shauna! :)
Lisa

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

And thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You're so kind! Thank-you!!! :)

You bet! I happened to look and see your B day was listed on the main forum page on the bottom and I thought I'd send you some happy wishes. Glad to see you are feeling well--your posts were so encouraging to me when I was a newbie! :) Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I used to take the Kirkman Labs multivitamin and never had any problems with it. I believe they are safe for super sensitives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: