21 replies to this topic

#16 abaker521

abaker521

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

This is great info! I've gotten sick off of Rainbow Light and New Chapter Prenatal vitamins. Does anyone recommend a good prenatal vitamin for a super sensitive? I'm still looking for one I can tolerate..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

This is great info! I've gotten sick off of Rainbow Light and New Chapter Prenatal vitamins. Does anyone recommend a good prenatal vitamin for a super sensitive? I'm still looking for one I can tolerate..

The Rainbow Light veggie-based vits--including the pre-natal ones-- have so many "extras" in them (spirulina, digestive enzymes, lacto probiotics, etc.) that it is possible that was what was making you sick. I had the same reaction to them. And I had the exact same reaction when I tried ANY vitamins with the spirulina, etc. in them and they were all certified gluten-free--even ones made especially for celiacs. I was disappointed to feel so yucky from ones I knew would be safe, yet they did.

It's not always "hidden gluten" that upsets our stomachs.

Another thing that can make you feel sick is iron. Unless you need an iron supplement, avoid it in your vitamins.

It is possible for other foods and supplements to make us feel wonky (and not necessarily hidden traces of gluten). As always, if something makes you feel sick, of course, don't take it.

Hope you find one you can take without issues.
And congratulations. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 abaker521

abaker521

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

This is very true IrishHeart! I can tolerate my vitamin D3 supplement just fine.. but when you start mixing in tons of other things I just can't tolerate it. I know I'm still in serious healing mode so I'm trying to be extra careful, but at the same time I want to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs (especially since we really want to try for a baby in a few months). My doctor also recommend that I take the probiotic Align, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how I'll react. It's scary sometimes to realize how sensitive and complex our bodies can be! :huh:

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

This is very true IrishHeart! I can tolerate my vitamin D3 supplement just fine.. but when you start mixing in tons of other things I just can't tolerate it. I know I'm still in serious healing mode so I'm trying to be extra careful, but at the same time I want to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs (especially since we really want to try for a baby in a few months). My doctor also recommend that I take the probiotic Align, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how I'll react. It's scary sometimes to realize how sensitive and complex our bodies can be! :huh:

oops...I said "Congrats" because you mentioned prenatal vitamins. :lol: I thought you were already there.
Make sure you are healed for several months before you start trying. Your body needs to be in optimal health for pregnancy. IMHO

Too many of us had multiple miscarriages because of unDXed celiac disease. Me included. :(

Oh sweetie, DEFINITELY take the probiotics!! They are necessary for celiac guts! Choose a dairy free one, like Culturelle. I do not know much about Align, but your doc is right--you need probiotics ( and I never say that about doctors :lol: )

Do not be alarmed if you have some weird BMs as your body adjusts. It will pass (no pun intended)

Here is why you need them:

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

Best wishes to you! In a few months, please ! PM me and tell me the good news !! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 elizabethh

elizabethh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I take Slice of Life Multi+. They're gummies and taste wonderful which is great if you have a hard time swallowing horse pills like I do. Take two a day and the container lasts a month. I notice a big difference when taking them, I feel much better. I have been taking them for about 5ish months and so far they're great. I get them at my health food store, this is what they look like:
Multi + vitamins
Ɛℓizɑвєтн
supersensitive celiac, lactose intolerant, casein intolerant, egg white intolerant, allergic to scallops (other shellfish?)
- ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ -

#21 EmmaCo

EmmaCo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

Have you been successful in finding one yet? I'm in the same position as you. I got sick after being on Rainbow Light only 4 days!! It took a week to recover from that. :( Please share which vitamin you have been ok on. I am planning on getting pregnant and I don't want to go throught the "trial and error" while pregnant.
Good Luck to you!

#22 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

I don't take any vitamins, but I did try hard to find one. I made a lot of phone calls and asked a lot of questions and did a lot of elimination/trial diets. The best ones seemed to be Freeda. You could give those a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: