10 replies to this topic

#1 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

Had a biopsy on my thyroid last week, growth (nodule) was flagged as suspicious because of size. Got the results back and there was no cancer found!!!!

On the flip side, doc gave me the okay to off the thyroid med. It was being used to shrink the growth and is only productive in 3% of cases but not successful on mine. No fun and I could not undertsand for sure until I asked but going off this med causes headaches, nausea, fatigue. I felt lke I was back to square-one all over again. However, nurse said this should pass within a month of being off med.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

Whew, that's indeed good news! Hopefully the rest of the problems will disappear soon as well.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

You must be incredibly relieved. So happy for this result. Are they having you taper off the med? Some meds will have less of a withdrawl when tapered but I don't know if that is the case with the one you are taking.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:01 AM

That is great news. Hopefully you won't feel too bad from stopping the med.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Great news! Glad you are okay!!

(and I have to say I went through this myself with a thyroid nodule in 2008--which has now somehow disappeared!?? and I take no meds and my thyroid functions perfectly normally) I am guessing yours will too!?

Good for you--celebrate today!!

Tapering off the med (take one every other day for a week or so?) may be the better bet.
Ask the doc??
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. Posted Image

#6 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Great news to hear...and one less medicine to take, yay!

#7 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Great news! Waiting for the results of a biopsy is nerve wracking.
Good news that you can stop taking the med, but it's a shame it causes so much trouble as it leaves your system.
Wishing you a speedy rebound! :D

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Really good news, AVR. Now you can relax (once you withdraw from your thyroid med :D )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Debbie48

Debbie48

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm so very happy for you! As someone has stated here . . . you should celebrate!

I also believe you should taper off the meds. I would talk to your doctor about that but it just seems to make sense.

Best of luck to you as you try to do that.

#10 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

You must be incredibly relieved. So happy for this result. Are they having you taper off the med? Some meds will have less of a withdrawl when tapered but I don't know if that is the case with the one you are taking.

No tampering off. First few days I was fine but day 7 I felt it and I could not figure out what was going on. This was like in the beginning when I got so sick, only able to stand for short amounts of time before I felt like I was going to pass-out kind of like my iron is low (which it is not), very weak (muscles feel like they have half their strength), nausea, fatigue. Walking up the stairs or vaccuuming the floors is a chore. My kidneys started acting up on me which is not uncommon, don't know if there is a link to the meds or not. My knee, wrist and elbow joints are aching again so I am taking it easy righ now. I'll see if this passes....right now trying to hydrate myself, staying away from caffeine and alcohol. I have an appt to see doc the first part of next month and if these symptoms don't pass I'll see if they can run my bloodwork again, perhaps something is low.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#11 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

Wonderful news!!! So happy for you there was no cancer, sending out healing thoughts to you as you get off your meds, and when you are feeling better you should defenitely celebrate!!! Have a wonderful day!!! B)
Just takin it one day at a time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: