This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggland's Best Eggs

Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I've found that I also have an intollerance to soy since going gluten-free. In fact, my symptoms from even very small traces of it are more severe than gluten.

I haven't been able to eat much due to nausea and a lot of healing I need to do, so when I do eat anything I try to go for high nutrition.

When I went to buy eggs a couple of days ago I saw EggLand's Best brand and it stated on the carton that they are more nutricious all natural, and are an excellant source of vitamin D, B12, E, B2, B5, Omega 3, and have less saturated fat than regular eggs.

It all seemed good to me?

I made a few hard boiled eggs so I could have them ready and easy to grab for a snack. I ate one last night and about 1/2 hour later started feeling very ill. I've never reacted badly to eggs in the past, but got very nauseated, then vomited it up. I got other symtoms too, of the type I get from soy.

I went online this morning and looked them up. The chickens are fed soy!

Just wondered if anyone else that has a problem with soy has reacted to these eggs? AND give a heads up to anyone else that might try them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I react VERY strongly to soy and I have an egg intolerance. I am not sure if it related to what the chickens are feed or not.

One option is to try to find some home raise non soy feed chickens for your eggs to see if that makes a difference.

TeknoLen Rookie

Sorry to hear about the eggs disagreeing. What a bummer! To your question, I am eating GFCFSF and have not noticed a problem with eggs. I was however surprised to learn just last week that eggs (or more specifically, the ovalbumin protein) can be antigenic. In fact, I learned about it because it is one of the big 4 on the Enterolab food sensitivity test (Panel A) and my test results showed an egg sensitivity! This was horrible news since eggs constitute a large component of my gluten-free diet. I have scaled back some (from 3 for breakfast to just 2, and skipping some days) but otherwise I am in denial at the moment...

Not sure about the soy feed connection. Bottom line, if the eggs making you sick you gotta try something else. Good luck...

Gemini Experienced

I've found that I also have an intollerance to soy since going gluten-free. In fact, my symptoms from even very small traces of it are more severe than gluten.

I haven't been able to eat much due to nausea and a lot of healing I need to do, so when I do eat anything I try to go for high nutrition.

When I went to buy eggs a couple of days ago I saw EggLand's Best brand and it stated on the carton that they are more nutricious all natural, and are an excellant source of vitamin D, B12, E, B2, B5, Omega 3, and have less saturated fat than regular eggs.

It all seemed good to me?

I made a few hard boiled eggs so I could have them ready and easy to grab for a snack. I ate one last night and about 1/2 hour later started feeling very ill. I've never reacted badly to eggs in the past, but got very nauseated, then vomited it up. I got other symtoms too, of the type I get from soy.

I went online this morning and looked them up. The chickens are fed soy!

Just wondered if anyone else that has a problem with soy has reacted to these eggs? AND give a heads up to anyone else that might try them.

I think this has been discussed here in previous threads but you don't have to worry about what the chickens ate...that has no bearing on the gluten free diet. I use these eggs all the time but have no intolerance to soy. I am sure many other manufactureres of eggs may use some soy in the chicken feed and people aren't getting sick from it. If you are still in the healing process, anything can cause a bad reaction. I have reacted to foods that, later, I did not react to. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause but anyone new to this diet and healing can have a reaction to just about anything along the way.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am going to agree with GEMINI on this one, hon. I thought it was the eggs, the soy feed, etc... :unsure: because I thought I had a soy issue as well. I may have had one, but all I know is now, I do not seem to have a soy problem. (The only soybean oil I eat is occasionally in mayo anyway--soy is not the best food on the planet-- especially for menopausal women)

I think I may have told you this, but I thought I had dozens of multiple food reactions when I was first DXed, when all along, it was still just a celiac gut in recovery. I paid for all kinds of testing. I tried rotation/elimination diets. Kept a journal. Nothing could be determined. It was just that I was still healing--as I think you may be as well. You are still suffering many lingering symptoms, right, hon?

I did have some nausea with eggs at first. Oddly, I could eat them IN baked goods, but not alone. Not sure why.

Here is what I did.

I just ate the whites alone for awhile--for the protein. My cat got a lot of egg yolks :lol: and her coat is beautiful, BTW.

That worked okay. Then, I tried a whole egg.

And yes, it was an Eggland's Best and I told my hubby, "Oh no!!this is not going to be all right--they feed the chickens soy."" He said almost all are fed soy. He looked high and low for ones that were not fed corn or soymeal.

He's a scientist/chemist and he said --'highly doubtful" it would cause a reaction by what the chickens digest. I said "Well, there is one study from 2009" and he asked--"Are there any others??"

I looked and I cannot find any.

After about 11 months gluten-free and my gut healing, eggs and I made peace. :lol:

I know someone on here is going to post the ONE lone article out there on soy feed and chicken eggs and isoflavones now and refute all this (because I saw it too) ... :lol: but...

in the end, if you are really worried, use a different egg brand.

That's what I did.

Just my humble opinion.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Soy isoflavones have been found in eggs and chicken tissue. I don't know if the amounts would be enough to cause a reaction or not.

According to this article, to be safe, soy levels need to be under 10 ppm. Open Original Shared Link

The levels found were higher than that in some cases. Open Original Shared Link

I still don't know that you had a soy reaction from eggs, but it seems like it could be possible.

I think that I have had problems with eggs, but I'm not soy sensitive.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Well..I've been able to eat the cheaper eggs I've gotten at Krogers all along with no problem, so I didn't think it was the egg that made me so sick, but rather whatever they did to it to make it a "super egg"?

If they can make the claims that their eggs are 10 times higher in vitamin E, double the omegas, and 35% more lutein, etc., it stands to reason that whatever they're feeding the chickens is coming through to the egg? :(

I bought a new carton of the cheapies this afternoon and will try them in a day or two, once my system has settled down. I'm a walking science experiment I tell ya!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

It looks like there are a lot of providers of soy free eggs, if it is a concern for anyone.

Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

It looks like there are a lot of providers of soy free eggs, if it is a concern for anyone.

Also keep in mind that while it could be soy, it could also be something else that happens to look like a soy reaction. If a different mainstream brand works for you, go with it. If you cant find something in the store that works, then start trying the brands that keep their chickens on a carefully controlled diet.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks SO much for those links about soy and eggs! It looks like I'm not the only one to react to the soy that's fed to the chickens?

Makes me wonder if some people that have egg intollerances might actually be reacting to the soy rather than the egg? :blink:

Quinn000 Newbie

I am egg intolerant (worse than gluten), milk, all dairy, butter, raw vegetables, raw fruit, creamy sauces, soy, gluten, alcohol gives me terrible headaches and more but I can't think of them right now. It's easier if I just say what I can eat: cooked vegetables, cooked fruits, most meats (small amounts). I have a terrible time eating out. I try to make it as plain as possible but sometimes foods are hidden and I get sick. This blog is giving me some great insight especially about chicken!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I get sick from eating eggs too. I am more bummed about that than gluten to be honest. I never dreamed a different brand of egg would make any difference at all. But now I will try... cause I sure do like eggs. I'm one year gluten free and hoped it was just temporary, but seems to happen every time I test it. But thanks y'all...cause I wanted another reason to test eggs again!

Archived