This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Looking For Kinnikinik!

laurenv2003

laurenv2003 Newbie
:huh: Hi. My son and husband were just diagnosed with Celiac. My son is very picky. I hear Kinnikinik bread products taste pretty good and I was wondering if someone could tell me where I might be able to buy them either on-line or somewhere in PA. I've been searching for hours and I can't find anything. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

It's the spelling. I went through the same thing. There stuff is AWESOME.

Elonwy

laurenv2003 Newbie
:D Oh! Thank you so much! I was starting to think I was crazy! I just found the site and it looks great! Now maybe I can actually get my son to start eating. Thanks again! - Lauren
Jnkmnky Collaborator

I recommend the white rice tapioca bread, the chocolate dipped and glazed donuts *we add chocolate frosting to the glazed, the chocolate chip muffins are great, but a little too small, the plain bagels are great. Some stuff is pricey, but worth it. Some stuff is so filling that all you need is a half of the product to be full. Save what you don't finish. The pizza crusts are great too.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

If you are going to put on frosting, make sure it is Duncan Hines, not Betty Crocker. Betty Crocker has wheat in it......

Also, when I moved out of Toronto into the burbs in January, I couldn't find gluten free foods anywhere here. I went to the manager at the local A&P, and explained that I was looking for gluten free food, he said they didn't have any. Then, he asked if I could possibly bring in a wrapper of the bread that I use and he can contact the company to get some products in. I brought it in to him, and lo and behold, 2 weeks later, he had a whole 4 ft. gluten free section (about 5 shelves high) with all Kinnikinnick items in the frozen section. This guy is a sweetheart!!!

A month later, I happened to see him while shopping, and he stated that he couldn't believe how quickly the items are flying off the shelves. I then printed him off the article from this site about retailers having to realize the rapid increase in diagnosis of celiac disease and catch up and start stocking gluten-free items. He actually thanked me for the info I gave him and for giving him a suggestion to better serve his customers. I then thanked him for bending over backwards and helping me access my gluten free food.

Maybe try this at your local supermarket. Even print off that article and bring it in to them. You never know until you try......

Take care,

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Pillsbury has some good frosting that is gluten free to but avoid Betty Crocker. I love the Kinnikinnick chocolate glazed donuts. We ordered like 2 dozen and they were gone within a week :lol:

grantschoep Contributor
If you are going to put on frosting, make sure it is Duncan Hines, not Betty Crocker.  Betty Crocker has wheat in it......

Also, when I moved out of Toronto into the burbs in January, I couldn't find gluten free foods anywhere here.  I went to the manager at the local A&P, and explained that I was looking for gluten free food, he said they didn't have any.  Then, he asked if I could possibly bring in a wrapper of the bread that I use and he can contact the company to get some products in.  I brought it in to him, and lo and behold, 2 weeks later, he had a whole 4 ft. gluten free section (about 5 shelves high) with all Kinnikinnick items in the frozen section.  This guy is a sweetheart!!!

A month later, I happened to see him while shopping, and he stated that he couldn't believe how quickly the items are flying off the shelves.  I then printed him off the article from this site about retailers having to realize the rapid increase in diagnosis of celiac disease and catch up and start stocking gluten-free items.  He actually thanked me for the info I gave him and for giving him a suggestion to better serve his customers.  I then thanked him for bending over backwards and helping me access my gluten free food. 

Maybe try this at your local supermarket.  Even print off that article and bring it in to them.  You never know until you try......

Take care,

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I like the sound of that. I, got my grocery store to start carrying Annie's gluten-free mac and cheese. But I feel kind of dumb now for doing it, as I don't buy it... I've found I like just buying the tinkyada elbow's and buying Kraft's Mac and Cheese for just the cheese. It actually ends up being cheaper...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nogluten- Newbie

Kinikk's bread is good, but I would avoid the buns. They're really dry and door-stoppish.

Their english muffins and nice and fluffy and can double as hamburger buns.....

Karen

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Does Kinnikinnick make any hot dog buns? Does *anyone* make any hot dog buns or do we just have to wrap bread around the dog? For some reason I woke up in the middle of the night worried about this :unsure: ....will I ever have a normal hot dog again?

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

I find their donuts good....but I don't like the english muffins... I found them VERY dry, is there any way to make them a better texture? (i.e. Toasting them or heating them more?

Thanks

--Maya

lilliexx Contributor

wow i am very surprised that someone did not like the english muffins. i think you had to have gotten a weird batch because the english muffins are out of this world!!! i discovered them recently and have gone through 4 bags in a week. B) i can not stop eating them. it is the first bread i have had in a year that actually tastes like bread. they are light, fluffy and moist like bread should be. i also make little pizza's of them and its great!!

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

nope mine were dry, and very crumbling... they don't stay together and are kind of like eating cardboard...very dry crumbly cardboard...

*shrug*

--Maya

jenvan Collaborator

i saw mention of duncan hines frosting and wanted to note--the homestyle is okay, but i found out this weekend, the new whipped frosting is NOT gluten-free.

gf4life Enthusiast

Maya,

Are you keeping your english muffins frozen? They need to stay frozen until you use them. Then you need to microwave them for about 20 seconds, slice them and toast them. They are PERFECT that way. If you let it thaw on the counter it might come out dry. They also need to be toasted, just like regular english muffins.

In fact most of Kinnikinnicks products need to stay frozen and taste better if you microwave slightly before use. It even says that on the wrappers. "While not necessary, microwaving or toasting improvs taste and texture".

A friend of mine said that she was having a problem with the Kinnikinnick pizza crust being dry. It turns out she was letting it thaw on the counter, and baking the pizza. I microwave each crust a full minute! Then put the toppings on and bake. Needless to say, her daughter loves the pizza at my house and it is the same crust!

God bless,

Mariann

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

that might have been it... they were in a cooler (we brought them to a picnic) but they had thawed in the cooler and I didn't heat them or toast them.... I will try one tomorrow morning with some jelly or my favorite, Nutella....

Thanks!

--maya

Hi Maya,

I keep mine in the fridge because usually a package doesn't last long enough to go bad.

I take it out, put it in the microwave for 16 seconds, take it out, let it cool for about 2 minutes, then slice it to put it in the toaster. Voila! Perfect english muffin!

Karen

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!! Thank you for the advice about microwaving it and then toasting it...

Karen, I did it exactly what you told me to.... 16 seconds in the microwave and then toasted it to a nice golden brown and then let it cool for a couple of minutes ... it was perfect!!!

Oh My Goodness it was yummy!!!!!!!! I even ate a bite before i added the nutella and it was really good and moist!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

YEAH!!!!! English muffins again!!!!

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!

thank you again....

(can you tell I am happy and excited!!) :lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:D:D

--Maya (who is doing a "happy dance" around the living room right now)

:D:D:D:D

Glad I could help! Enjoy! ;)

Karen

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I had a very bad experience with "english muffins" a year ago. I'm reclutant to try them again. I may, though, have to give these Kinnikinnick's a try. :ph34r::ph34r:

Guest imsohungry

Because of all the money I've wasted, I was hesitant to give any new products a try, but I LOVE everything I have bought from Kinnikinnik recently! :D:PB)

Reading others suggestions, I tried the plain bagels, white rice tapioca bread, and pizza crusts...Boy, are they yummy! :)

I also hear you guys talking about the chocolate donuts and english muffins. I was going to order the donuts last time, but they had two kinds and I wasn't sure which chocolate kind is the best...any suggestions?

I made grill cheese sandwiches for the first time since going gluten-free with my new kinnik bread...WOW...they were good!

Please let me know if any of their other products are really good or which donuts or muffins to try first. I'm open for suggestions! B)

-Julie

gf4life Enthusiast

The Glazed Chocolate donuts are a chocolate cake donut with a light glaze on them (we couldn't even tell they were glazed!). They were okay, not a favorite here at my house.

The Chocolate Dipped donuts are a yellow cake donut dipped in a chocloate frosting glaze. They are one of our favorites here. We also like the Cinnamon donuts.

Guest imsohungry

Thanks a bunch!

I'm already out of the tapioca bread, pizza crusts, and bagels. I'm definitely ordering the donuts when I place my order this week! :)

• 2 years later...
earthgoddess0308 Newbie

HI

I was not officially diagnosed with Celiac and my blood tests came back negative for a Wheat allergy, however in the last 4 days I have been eating gluten/wheat free and can't believe how different I feel! I can actually concentrate on things now and although my stomach is still adjusting and will take a while to "heal", I am hoping this is the answer to my issues! I am also doing acupuncture for stomach problems and she recommended I be wheat/gluten free as well.

Anywho, the reason I am writing it to find out if any of you have any suggestions on breads...I have seen the above posts and cant tell if they have wheat from the website...Also on eating out etc....I have been doing a lot of research but the more advice the better. I LOVE LOVE vietnamese food and their soups are made with rice noodles BUT I have been reading that even chicken broth has wheat, yeast etc...and add a language barrier on top of that, I don't know what to do..??

Can anyone help??

THANK U!! :P

azmom Newbie

I believe all of Kinnickinnick stuff is gluten free, which means it must be wheat free.

My husband loves the cheese tapioca rice bread, the chocolate glazed donuts, and the k-toos cookies (like oreos). I also keep the graham cracker crumbs and the chocolate cookie crumbs on hand for making pies and cheesecakes. They are just as good as glutenous ones!

Sue

Archived