17 replies to this topic

#1 tennisman

tennisman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

So it's 2012 in the UK the new labeling for gluten-free foods starts today . I really don't understand it but I think it's gonna be a mess . 0 - 20 ppm = gluten-free . 20 - 100 ppm = low gluten and safe :S How can a product containing low levels of gluten be gluten free ? It's stupid , also apparently many foods are being taken off prescription because they are luxury . How anyone can call gluten-free from the chemist luxury I will never know . I want to destroy the government :@
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Ours are going to change to 0-20ppm, currently its <3ppm is considered gluten free. How is Low gluten helpful to anyone with coeliac disease anyways? Has the world gone mad!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ho boy, good luck tennisman :unsure: Is there are provision for labelling something as containing less than 20 ppm, or saying "contains no gluten" or some other way to distinguish that you are getting less than 20? They have probably made that illegal, right? :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Ours are going to change to 0-20ppm, currently its <3ppm is considered gluten free. How is Low gluten helpful to anyone with coeliac disease anyways? Has the world gone mad!

I think it's ridiculous , I might as well just eat chinese as soy sauce is most probably low gluten . I think Fad diet has changed celiac disease and it's a big shame . Surely gluten-free has to be 100 % gluten free all this low and 20 ppm or 3 ppm just confuses me :S

#5 giggleburger

giggleburger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

Wow, this is one of those times where you can tell whoever devised that setup doesn't know enough about the issues relating to it.
Is there anyway to start some sort of awareness that this may not be the best way to handle the labeling?

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

So it's 2012 in the UK the new labeling for gluten-free foods starts today . I really don't understand it but I think it's gonna be a mess . 0 - 20 ppm = gluten-free . 20 - 100 ppm = low gluten and safe :S How can a product containing low levels of gluten be gluten free ? It's stupid , also apparently many foods are being taken off prescription because they are luxury . How anyone can call gluten-free from the chemist luxury I will never know . I want to destroy the government :@

Under the "old" rules, up to 200 ppm could be labeled "gluten-free" in some cases. While not yet perfect, the EU is moving in the right direction.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#7 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Ho boy, good luck tennisman :unsure: Is there are provision for labelling something as containing less than 20 ppm, or saying "contains no gluten" or some other way to distinguish that you are getting less than 20? They have probably made that illegal, right? :blink:

Thanks mushroom :) Here is some info http://www.coeliac.o...-on-gluten-free it's very confusing . How can restaurants test 20 ppm :S

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, stupid. At least your country HAS laws, though. We have a useless congress who can't even manage to sort out a budget, let alone pass food labeling legislation. :angry:

#9 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

Wow, this is one of those times where you can tell whoever devised that setup doesn't know enough about the issues relating to it.
Is there anyway to start some sort of awareness that this may not be the best way to handle the labeling?

Lots of people on Coeliac UK Facebook said this isn't a good idea . The UK government is stupid though they think this is a good idea ..

#10 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Under the "old" rules, up to 200 ppm could be labeled "gluten-free" in some cases. While not yet perfect, the EU is moving in the right direction.

I hope so :) But having 3 different labels , less than 20 ppm , 20 - 100 ppm and no containing gluten ingredients is strange . What's wrong with a symbol for gluten-free or a symbol to say it's not gluten-free .

#11 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, stupid. At least your country HAS laws, though. We have a useless congress who can't even manage to sort out a budget, let alone pass food labeling legislation. :angry:

:( I find it ridiculous , vegetarian labeling is on everything yet the world can't sort gluten-free labeling properly . England is stupid they sell fake cheap dangerous alcohol , won't be long before these same people sell gluten free foods full of gluten :(

#12 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

I believe we had some joker, er, "scientist," propose something like this (low gluten labels) for the United States, and they were serious. Wheeee! American Exceptionalism!

Yeah, stupid. At least your country HAS laws, though. We have a useless congress who can't even manage to sort out a budget, let alone pass food labeling legislation.

You so do not want this particular contemporary version of the U.S. House passing any food labeling legislation. Their version of a new and improved school lunch program under the USDA Ag commodities program was to attempt to replace carbohydrates such as beans and potatoes with grains, I swear to God. One of the Senators in the potato growing states stopped it. You could almost hear the GMO lobby crying in their barley beers over it.

#13 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi Skylark, so true. We are getting better on the legislation thing, in many areas. And if I have been eating gluten-free food with 200ppm gluten in then no wonder I still feel like I'm getting glutened occasionally. Though it's usually ok if you eat clean unprocessed foods.
I thought the US had the 20ppm already in force?

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

I thought the US had the 20ppm already in force?

No, there is no legal definition yet in the United States for "gluten-free."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#15 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

It is not the uk government, it is the new EU law from January 2009, and January 2012 was the last date for implementation.

The requirements for gluten free went down from 200ppm to below 20ppm (but now in the finished product)

Which makes it possible for people who have a celiac home test for food, to test for 5ppm or 20ppm right where they are out eating. Like the glutentox home test kit, or other test kits.

Otherwise they would have to go home and dry the foodstuff and then test it....
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: