4 replies to this topic

#1 tinab3girls

tinab3girls

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

First off Happy New Year! So a little background.... i am currently awaiting the results of my celiac panel (tuesday morning) but I am starting to wonder if my 3.5 yr old daughter may have it as well. From the get go she has had a terrible time gaining weight. Every month until she was 1 we had to take her in for weight checks. Once she started truly being on solid foods (about 1 year old) she had chronic constipation, so bad at 2.5 we took her into a pediatric gastro because she would go 10 days without going and no matter what we gave her (fiber, massive amounts of fruit you name it we did it) they just brushed it off as she was doing it to herself and put her on miralax. It has gotten better on its own (stopped the meds about 6mo after she started them) but she still isnt 'regular'. Complains her 'tummy hurts' first thing in the morning, almost every morning. One thing that I didn't know if anyone else has come across is horrible night terrors. She will wake up screaming, running around the room in circles almost like she is in pain. She is not awake during the episodes. They last anywhere from 10 min to the longest being last night at 45 min.... has anyone else's child experienced this??
I also want to add thank goodness for this site! I now know how to approach my results and doctor when they come in and it has been sooo helpful to me!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 M0Mto3

M0Mto3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

My middle son struggled with constipation and a daily probiotic did the trick for him. He also did not sleep well when he was constipated, but he did not have night terrors.
My daughter (who has gluten intolerance) was failure to thrive from her issues with gluten. It doesn't sound far fetched that your daughter might have it. It might be good to get her tested before initiating a gluten free diet.

#3 samie

samie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I would get her tested. My oldest daughter had constipation problems since she was about one some months she was fine then it would start up again one time they have her medicine to help. I finally got her tested at 4 1/2 after I was diagnose now she's been gluten free 6 mtgs and it has gotten slot better. She only has issues if she get glutened.

#4 divamomma

divamomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

My daughter used to wake up at night crying with no reason behind it. She had open eyes but seemed "out of it" I could not get her to stop crying nor figure out what was wrong. Sometimes I had to get her up and out of the room to "wake her up" other times I just rub her back and she stops. Since going gluten-free this does not happen anymore. I am positive it had to do with gluten...either nightmares or just not feeling well but being unable to explain it.

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training
~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~
~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~
~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

#5 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

My daughter used to wake up at night crying with no reason behind it. She had open eyes but seemed "out of it" I could not get her to stop crying nor figure out what was wrong. Sometimes I had to get her up and out of the room to "wake her up" other times I just rub her back and she stops. Since going gluten-free this does not happen anymore. I am positive it had to do with gluten...either nightmares or just not feeling well but being unable to explain it.

My daughter had this same problem, she would wake up crying and screaming. I would try to calm her down and she would look at me like she didn't even know who I was or what was going on, it was heartbreaking to watch! I would just hold her and comfort her until she calmed down and went back to sleep. Doesn't happen when we're strict gluten free but if she gets glutened she'll start with the restless sleep again and wake up whining or crying.
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: