22 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thank you SOOOOO much Irish! Very helpful!! I also just noticed there is a Gluten Free STORE a couple blocks away so I will definitely be making a visit soon :)

You're welcome. Just remember, though FRESH is best. And homemade is better than packaged. (especially bread)

Your diet should be more about the fruits, vegs, meat, seafood and nuts. The packaged stuff is convenient, yes, but the real nutrition is in the WHOLE natural foods.
Okay, kiddo?!

Be well--and check out the recipes in the cooking and baking section on here--these people are amazingly creative. ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 clohmean

clohmean

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Irish Heart,
Thank you so much for this information ! I'm new to this forum and recently diagnosed with Celiac's
and your list was refreshing to find !!

Kind regards,
clohmean

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

Irish Heart,
Thank you so much for this information ! I'm new to this forum and recently diagnosed with Celiac's
and your list was refreshing to find !!

Kind regards,
clohmean

Glad it helps get you started.

I hate to see newbies (as I once was) become fearful of eating.

Just remember FRESH is best and WHOLE Foods are better than packaged stuff.

and READ LABELS because ingredients can CHANGE!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Oh--one more thing.....

Cecelia's Marketplace Grocery Shopping Guides are helpful! get the most recent version available. Google it.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#20 RiaG14

RiaG14

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Great list - thank you so much, this is very helpful for those of us just starting out!
Diagnosed with celiac disease on 12/28/11 after positive blood test and biopsies after family member died of intestinal cancer caused by undiagnosed celiac. I do not have any GI symptoms but do get frequent headaches. I am trying to be 100% gluten-free for three months to see how my blood tests come back and if my headaches go away. Really, I'm just getting started with all of this and trying to figure it all out =)

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Great list - thank you so much, this is very helpful for those of us just starting out!

You are so welcome. :)

BTW, I noticed your sig line states you are "thinking of going gluten free for 3 months"....Hon, if you have diagnosed celiac, you need to be gluten-free for life so you can avoid developing any further complications, vitamin deficiencies and autoimmune diseases.

Better read up on the disease process so you understand why this is essential so you can stop the autoimmune response.

Even if you are one of the more fortunate ones without gastro symptoms, you are sill doing damage every time you ingest gluten.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 RiaG14

RiaG14

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

BTW, I noticed your sig line states you are "thinking of going gluten free for 3 months"....Hon, if you have diagnosed celiac, you need to be gluten-free for life so you can avoid developing any further complications, vitamin deficiencies and autoimmune diseases.

Better read up on the disease process so you understand why this is essential so you can stop the autoimmune response.

Even if you are one of the more fortunate ones without gastro symptoms, you are sill doing damage every time you ingest gluten.

I know, I've come to realize that it's something I need to do. I just hope I'm able to do it consistently without messing up somewhere. I will be gluten-free for one week today, and i think so far so good. It's the "forever" part that I'm struggling with, it just really seems so long! But hopefully acceptance will come with time.
Diagnosed with celiac disease on 12/28/11 after positive blood test and biopsies after family member died of intestinal cancer caused by undiagnosed celiac. I do not have any GI symptoms but do get frequent headaches. I am trying to be 100% gluten-free for three months to see how my blood tests come back and if my headaches go away. Really, I'm just getting started with all of this and trying to figure it all out =)

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

I know, I've come to realize that it's something I need to do. I just hope I'm able to do it consistently without messing up somewhere. I will be gluten-free for one week today, and i think so far so good. It's the "forever" part that I'm struggling with, it just really seems so long! But hopefully acceptance will come with time.

:lol: well, sweetie, look at it this way, a LONG healthy life is a very GOOD thing!

But I understand what you are saying...it is a shock and an adjustment and we all "get that",hon--we really do! And in time, you will come to a place of acceptance. Don't get all panicky about gluten and cross-contamination. We all mess up on occassion. I got glutened by CC recently myself and I've been doing this for a year. It's a learning process and then, it becomes "the new normal". :)

But here is the thing...you have been given a gift with an early DX. Yes, I said a gift-- because it is a chance early in your life to be healthy and potentially stop any other AI diseases and complications from developing. So many of us had terrible health problems--some truly devastating and you may hear some of those stories as you read the threads on here--and they affected us all of our lives. It all makes sense NOW, but while it was happening?? not so much.

I had no clue what I had all along and I would have given anything to know back in my 20's what was going on inside me. My life would have been very, very different.

But ....You can live a healthy long life!! :) there's plenty to eat and the gluten free food industry and Celiac awareness is providing us with many more options. Life is good. :)

Be happy, eat healthy and don't let this DX get in your way! ;)
And --we are here for you!

Cheers,
IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: