26 replies to this topic

#1 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Someone mentioned on another thread that they had lots of goodies stashed and planned to try to use them up before buying new. That made me think that would be a good idea for a thread. I'd like to take this time to clean out my pantry and freezer and start fresh, plus it helps the budget just after the holidays ;) and may give us all some new ideas.

Here's what and how I used up today and plans for upcoming days:

Brown rice in the fridge and small amount of leftover sauteed zucchini
plus hamburger cabbage soup from the freezer all went into that soup for lunch.

I have a goal to use up the pesto I made last year that's in the freezer, some went into pasta today.

Leftover cranberry sauce gets stirred into yogurt later in the week for kiddo's breakfast.

Leftover Xmas ham and leftover white rice get warmed up in the microwave with shredded cheddar and frozen broccoli for kiddo's school lunch tomorrow(in a thermos).
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

My freezer is so full I can't put anything else in it. Fridge is getting empty. Pantry is improving.

I think we're having Turducken and mashed potatoes for dinner. I have a ton of frozen holiday food in my freezer...

Had spam and eggs (eggs mixed with leftover egg whites), and mimosas (leftover champagne) for breakfast.

Using milk and cream in coffee instead of half n half.

Used a huge bunch of fresh parsley in black-eyed peas (forgot to put it in gumbo).

Black-eyed peas and rice for lunch (after I sober up and recover from brunch).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

pricklypear I've got a container of cream to use up too. We don't usually use it but I bought some for a special purpose. Gotta figure out what to do with it this week, maybe cream of something soup or a pasta sauce. Need to go recipe hunting.

I take the extra parsley and dry it. Wash it good, dry it with a towel, chop it fine, lay it out on a paper towel lined baking pan and air dry a day or 2 then transfer to container.

Tonight I took the 6 carmels that were left from who knows when-over a year LOL and added some cream and made a carmel sauce for kiddo's icecream.

The leftover roast juices that were in the freezer were used for dinner. I always end up with tons of juices when I make a crockpot beef roast so I freeze them. Lots of bits of carrots, celery and onion in it. For dinner tonight I shaped ground beef into 4 oblong patties salted and peppered them well, browned a bit on both sides, put those roast juices in, put a lid on and lowered the heat then simmered gently 20 min. Took the lid off, added potato starch to thicken and served with mashed potatoes.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I don't have any stuff left over to use up in the freezer but the fridge is full. I just got an upright freezer in Oct. and I'm needing to fill it up. :P So far I have put in about 18 pints of homemade apple sauce, some shredded zucchini, 1/2 gallon jar of chicken stock with meat, 2.5 qt. of beef stock made out of ox tail, some meat my butcher hubby brought home, pizza sauce, couple boxes of brown rice flour/tapioca starch and a bag a quinoa. Need to bake up some goodies for the kids and freeze them.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

Yum! I love it when we have homemade applesauce on hand :)

My DH was in a hurry cleaning up after T-Giving and tossed our turkey carcass in the trash so I missed out on making turkey broth :(

I've got a ham bone if the fridge that I have to find a recipe for. I hope to use it in soup, just have to figure out how/what.

I have a plan for that cream now. Homemade alfredo sauce! I re-discovered a recipe for it that I used to make. Wish I'd thought of it sooner. I've wasted a number of cartons in the past year.
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

That was probably me who mentioned an overflowing pantry. Without exaggerating one little bit it would take at least a year to get through it. For example, I have nearly 100 spices; about 20 kinds of dried chiles; 18 finishing salts; 28 flavoured vinegars; 12 kinds of oil; lots of preserves I've made, etc. We also have two freezers full of other things including meat. I am a self-confessed food hoarder! ;) There. I admitted it.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

That was probably me who mentioned an overflowing pantry. Without exaggerating one little bit it would take at least a year to get through it. For example, I have nearly 100 spices; about 20 kinds of dried chiles; 18 finishing salts; 28 flavoured vinegars; 12 kinds of oil; lots of preserves I've made, etc. We also have two freezers full of other things including meat. I am a self-confessed food hoarder! ;) There. I admitted it.

Yes, it was you :)

Well, all those things are good things for someone on a diet like ours, they add alot of flavor and variety to simple fresh foods! I actually have on my list to re-stock my vinegars and a few oils that I used up last year.

LOL about being a food hoarder. My DH is one so I have to manage our supply.;) That's part of my goal with this pantry/freezer clean out-to use up or toss the stuff he hoarded last year :P
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Yum! I love it when we have homemade applesauce on hand :)

My DH was in a hurry cleaning up after T-Giving and tossed our turkey carcass in the trash so I missed out on making turkey broth :(

I've got a ham bone if the fridge that I have to find a recipe for. I hope to use it in soup, just have to figure out how/what.

I have a plan for that cream now. Homemade alfredo sauce! I re-discovered a recipe for it that I used to make. Wish I'd thought of it sooner. I've wasted a number of cartons in the past year.

It is nice having the homemade applesauce. My mom brought me a whole bunch of apples in Oct. that someone gave to her. It was fun making it together. I also had made some apple pies, but they were gone in a heartbeat. My kids and husband like to thaw it just enough to be able to get it out of the jar. They love it when there are still ice crystals in it.

I did not make turkey broth from our turkey either. We got about an 18 lb. turkey and my husband cut it in half. He smoked it and we ate half of it at Thanksgiving. The other half went into the freezer and we ate it the weekend before Christmas at my inlaws house. I don't like broth or gravy made out of the smoked meat so we made chicken gravy(best I could do at the time).

I need to get the husband to make some beef jerky(venison if I could get him to take the almost 11 year old hunting who is dying to go :P) and get some ahead. It never fails when he makes it, it is gone in just a few days..

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

It is nice having the homemade applesauce. My kids and husband like to thaw it just enough to be able to get it out of the jar. They love it when there are still ice crystals in it.

Funny, my kiddo does exactly the same thing!
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#10 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Someone mentioned on another thread that they had lots of goodies stashed and planned to try to use them up before buying new. That made me think that would be a good idea for a thread. I'd like to take this time to clean out my pantry and freezer and start fresh, plus it helps the budget just after the holidays ;) and may give us all some new ideas.

Here's what and how I used up today and plans for upcoming days:

Brown rice in the fridge and small amount of leftover sauteed zucchini
plus hamburger cabbage soup from the freezer all went into that soup for lunch.

I have a goal to use up the pesto I made last year that's in the freezer, some went into pasta today.

Leftover cranberry sauce gets stirred into yogurt later in the week for kiddo's breakfast.

Leftover Xmas ham and leftover white rice get warmed up in the microwave with shredded cheddar and frozen broccoli for kiddo's school lunch tomorrow(in a thermos).

Try mixing leftover cranberry sauce with dijon mustard and dipping gluten-free pretzels. Makes a lovely snack.

#11 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

My freezer is so full I can't put anything else in it. Fridge is getting empty. Pantry is improving.

I think we're having Turducken and mashed potatoes for dinner. I have a ton of frozen holiday food in my freezer...

Had spam and eggs (eggs mixed with leftover egg whites), and mimosas (leftover champagne) for breakfast.

Using milk and cream in coffee instead of half n half.

Used a huge bunch of fresh parsley in black-eyed peas (forgot to put it in gumbo).

Black-eyed peas and rice for lunch (after I sober up and recover from brunch).

I do not understand the concept of "left over champagne". That has never happened in my house!

#12 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Lord, would someone come over and clean out my refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I do not understand the concept of "left over champagne". That has never happened in my house!

I usually don't have that problem, either but my allergies are bad right now so I can only have a little but of alcohol at a time.

I usually keep some cheap Presecco around for mimosas. Yum!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Frozen bananas are going into banana bread this weekend.

Anyone know what to do with leftover marsala besides marsala chicken?
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Maybe in eggplant? I made eggplant cooked in Sauternes wine and I'd bet they'd both work.

It was an easy recipe, just sauté the chopped eggplant and1 small diced onion, 1/2 cup Sauternes in a pot til tender. Mash eggplant, add 4 tbsp. butter, stir til melted. Add 2 beaten eggs, cover and cook on low til eggs cooked. Stir in 1/2 c Italian breadcrumbs. Let sit 10-15 mins and eat. Add salt/pepper as needed.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: