This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Great 2012 Freezer/panrty Clean Out

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

Someone mentioned on another thread that they had lots of goodies stashed and planned to try to use them up before buying new. That made me think that would be a good idea for a thread. I'd like to take this time to clean out my pantry and freezer and start fresh, plus it helps the budget just after the holidays ;) and may give us all some new ideas.

Here's what and how I used up today and plans for upcoming days:

Brown rice in the fridge and small amount of leftover sauteed zucchini

plus hamburger cabbage soup from the freezer all went into that soup for lunch.

I have a goal to use up the pesto I made last year that's in the freezer, some went into pasta today.

Leftover cranberry sauce gets stirred into yogurt later in the week for kiddo's breakfast.

Leftover Xmas ham and leftover white rice get warmed up in the microwave with shredded cheddar and frozen broccoli for kiddo's school lunch tomorrow(in a thermos).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

My freezer is so full I can't put anything else in it. Fridge is getting empty. Pantry is improving.

I think we're having Turducken and mashed potatoes for dinner. I have a ton of frozen holiday food in my freezer...

Had spam and eggs (eggs mixed with leftover egg whites), and mimosas (leftover champagne) for breakfast.

Using milk and cream in coffee instead of half n half.

Used a huge bunch of fresh parsley in black-eyed peas (forgot to put it in gumbo).

Black-eyed peas and rice for lunch (after I sober up and recover from brunch).

missy'smom Collaborator

pricklypear I've got a container of cream to use up too. We don't usually use it but I bought some for a special purpose. Gotta figure out what to do with it this week, maybe cream of something soup or a pasta sauce. Need to go recipe hunting.

I take the extra parsley and dry it. Wash it good, dry it with a towel, chop it fine, lay it out on a paper towel lined baking pan and air dry a day or 2 then transfer to container.

Tonight I took the 6 carmels that were left from who knows when-over a year LOL and added some cream and made a carmel sauce for kiddo's icecream.

The leftover roast juices that were in the freezer were used for dinner. I always end up with tons of juices when I make a crockpot beef roast so I freeze them. Lots of bits of carrots, celery and onion in it. For dinner tonight I shaped ground beef into 4 oblong patties salted and peppered them well, browned a bit on both sides, put those roast juices in, put a lid on and lowered the heat then simmered gently 20 min. Took the lid off, added potato starch to thicken and served with mashed potatoes.

Roda Rising Star

I don't have any stuff left over to use up in the freezer but the fridge is full. I just got an upright freezer in Oct. and I'm needing to fill it up. :P So far I have put in about 18 pints of homemade apple sauce, some shredded zucchini, 1/2 gallon jar of chicken stock with meat, 2.5 qt. of beef stock made out of ox tail, some meat my butcher hubby brought home, pizza sauce, couple boxes of brown rice flour/tapioca starch and a bag a quinoa. Need to bake up some goodies for the kids and freeze them.

missy'smom Collaborator

Yum! I love it when we have homemade applesauce on hand :)

My DH was in a hurry cleaning up after T-Giving and tossed our turkey carcass in the trash so I missed out on making turkey broth :(

I've got a ham bone if the fridge that I have to find a recipe for. I hope to use it in soup, just have to figure out how/what.

I have a plan for that cream now. Homemade alfredo sauce! I re-discovered a recipe for it that I used to make. Wish I'd thought of it sooner. I've wasted a number of cartons in the past year.

love2travel Mentor

That was probably me who mentioned an overflowing pantry. Without exaggerating one little bit it would take at least a year to get through it. For example, I have nearly 100 spices; about 20 kinds of dried chiles; 18 finishing salts; 28 flavoured vinegars; 12 kinds of oil; lots of preserves I've made, etc. We also have two freezers full of other things including meat. I am a self-confessed food hoarder! ;) There. I admitted it.

missy'smom Collaborator

That was probably me who mentioned an overflowing pantry. Without exaggerating one little bit it would take at least a year to get through it. For example, I have nearly 100 spices; about 20 kinds of dried chiles; 18 finishing salts; 28 flavoured vinegars; 12 kinds of oil; lots of preserves I've made, etc. We also have two freezers full of other things including meat. I am a self-confessed food hoarder! ;) There. I admitted it.

Yes, it was you :)

Well, all those things are good things for someone on a diet like ours, they add alot of flavor and variety to simple fresh foods! I actually have on my list to re-stock my vinegars and a few oils that I used up last year.

LOL about being a food hoarder. My DH is one so I have to manage our supply.;) That's part of my goal with this pantry/freezer clean out-to use up or toss the stuff he hoarded last year :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Yum! I love it when we have homemade applesauce on hand :)

My DH was in a hurry cleaning up after T-Giving and tossed our turkey carcass in the trash so I missed out on making turkey broth :(

I've got a ham bone if the fridge that I have to find a recipe for. I hope to use it in soup, just have to figure out how/what.

I have a plan for that cream now. Homemade alfredo sauce! I re-discovered a recipe for it that I used to make. Wish I'd thought of it sooner. I've wasted a number of cartons in the past year.

It is nice having the homemade applesauce. My mom brought me a whole bunch of apples in Oct. that someone gave to her. It was fun making it together. I also had made some apple pies, but they were gone in a heartbeat. My kids and husband like to thaw it just enough to be able to get it out of the jar. They love it when there are still ice crystals in it.

I did not make turkey broth from our turkey either. We got about an 18 lb. turkey and my husband cut it in half. He smoked it and we ate half of it at Thanksgiving. The other half went into the freezer and we ate it the weekend before Christmas at my inlaws house. I don't like broth or gravy made out of the smoked meat so we made chicken gravy(best I could do at the time).

I need to get the husband to make some beef jerky(venison if I could get him to take the almost 11 year old hunting who is dying to go :P) and get some ahead. It never fails when he makes it, it is gone in just a few days..

missy'smom Collaborator

It is nice having the homemade applesauce. My kids and husband like to thaw it just enough to be able to get it out of the jar. They love it when there are still ice crystals in it.

Funny, my kiddo does exactly the same thing!

mbrookes Community Regular

Someone mentioned on another thread that they had lots of goodies stashed and planned to try to use them up before buying new. That made me think that would be a good idea for a thread. I'd like to take this time to clean out my pantry and freezer and start fresh, plus it helps the budget just after the holidays ;) and may give us all some new ideas.

Here's what and how I used up today and plans for upcoming days:

Brown rice in the fridge and small amount of leftover sauteed zucchini

plus hamburger cabbage soup from the freezer all went into that soup for lunch.

I have a goal to use up the pesto I made last year that's in the freezer, some went into pasta today.

Leftover cranberry sauce gets stirred into yogurt later in the week for kiddo's breakfast.

Leftover Xmas ham and leftover white rice get warmed up in the microwave with shredded cheddar and frozen broccoli for kiddo's school lunch tomorrow(in a thermos).

Try mixing leftover cranberry sauce with dijon mustard and dipping gluten-free pretzels. Makes a lovely snack.

mbrookes Community Regular

My freezer is so full I can't put anything else in it. Fridge is getting empty. Pantry is improving.

I think we're having Turducken and mashed potatoes for dinner. I have a ton of frozen holiday food in my freezer...

Had spam and eggs (eggs mixed with leftover egg whites), and mimosas (leftover champagne) for breakfast.

Using milk and cream in coffee instead of half n half.

Used a huge bunch of fresh parsley in black-eyed peas (forgot to put it in gumbo).

Black-eyed peas and rice for lunch (after I sober up and recover from brunch).

I do not understand the concept of "left over champagne". That has never happened in my house!

freeatlast Collaborator

Lord, would someone come over and clean out my refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

I do not understand the concept of "left over champagne". That has never happened in my house!

I usually don't have that problem, either but my allergies are bad right now so I can only have a little but of alcohol at a time.

I usually keep some cheap Presecco around for mimosas. Yum!

missy'smom Collaborator

Frozen bananas are going into banana bread this weekend.

Anyone know what to do with leftover marsala besides marsala chicken?

Maybe in eggplant? I made eggplant cooked in Sauternes wine and I'd bet they'd both work.

It was an easy recipe, just saut

love2travel Mentor

Frozen bananas are going into banana bread this weekend.

Anyone know what to do with leftover marsala besides marsala chicken?

Yes! Zabaglione cries out for it!

Open Original Shared Link

And a slightly more upscale version...

As Marsala lasts for a very long time (about a year) I use it to replace Sherry in recipes such as Sauteed Sherried Mushrooms, in brines for pork, etc.

missy'smom Collaborator

Yes! Zabaglione cries out for it!

And a slightly more upscale version...

As Marsala lasts for a very long time (about a year) I use it to replace Sherry in recipes such as Sauteed Sherried Mushrooms, in brines for pork, etc.

Good to know it lasts a long time(acording to that recipe link) and sherried mushrooms sounds good. Well, if it can be used like cream sherry, then I can do like grandma did and use it in fruit cake next Xmas! I may try to soak some raisins in it and use them in a "tea" bread-apple and raisin.

• 2 weeks later...
love2travel Mentor

Good to know it lasts a long time(acording to that recipe link) and sherried mushrooms sounds good. Well, if it can be used like cream sherry, then I can do like grandma did and use it in fruit cake next Xmas! I may try to soak some raisins in it and use them in a "tea" bread-apple and raisin.

Just wondering whether you found a use for your Marsala. It is also great for mascerating dried fruit as you mentioned - very good with dried apricots, cherries... Oh, yes - I also rehydrate dried mushrooms in it and then use the liquid in risotto or whatever. And, of course, very good as a pan sauce with some cream.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

does anybody have a good recipe for chicken stock/soup using the leftover carcass?

love2travel Mentor

does anybody have a good recipe for chicken stock/soup using the leftover carcass?

Not a recipe but this is what I do for great stock. I throw the carcass and any extra frozen bones I have into a roaster and roast until the bones are quite brown. This builds great flavour. (This is how to make glorious gravy, too.) Then in a large stockpot make a mirepoix which simply is diced carrots, celery and onion and cook until softened. Then I add some minced garlic and stir about 30 seconds. You can also roast vegetables in the oven until caramelized instead.

Then in the same pot add the browned carcass into a large pot and add water to nearly cover the bones. I make a bouquet garni from fresh herbs (my favourites are thyme and rosemary and bay) as well as a couple of leek leaves and a few peppercorns) and put into cheesecloth or a tea strainer and then simmer for an hour or two. For a bit of zip add a round of fresh ginger or juniper berries in the cheesecloth or tea strainer. Then I pick the meat off the carcass and add it back to the stock if I am making soup. (Stock uses bones; broth does not.) Then I add some tiny gluten-free pasta shapes and a dash of balsamic vinegar to brighten the flavour. Sometimes I add some apple juice instead. You can also add rice or whatever starch you want - or none. If it needs more fresh thyme add it along with the pasta or rice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

If making stock I simply strain the veg as they have served their purpose and freeze.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

Not a recipe but this is what I do for great stock. I throw the carcass and any extra frozen bones I have into a roaster and roast until the bones are quite brown. This builds great flavour. (This is how to make glorious gravy, too.) Then in a large stockpot make a mirepoix which simply is diced carrots, celery and onion and cook until softened. Then I add some minced garlic and stir about 30 seconds. You can also roast vegetables in the oven until caramelized instead.

Then in the same pot add the browned carcass into a large pot and add water to nearly cover the bones. I make a bouquet garni from fresh herbs (my favourites are thyme and rosemary and bay) as well as a couple of leek leaves and a few peppercorns) and put into cheesecloth or a tea strainer and then simmer for an hour or two. For a bit of zip add a round of fresh ginger or juniper berries in the cheesecloth or tea strainer. Then I pick the meat off the carcass and add it back to the stock if I am making soup. (Stock uses bones; broth does not.) Then I add some tiny gluten-free pasta shapes and a dash of balsamic vinegar to brighten the flavour. Sometimes I add some apple juice instead. You can also add rice or whatever starch you want - or none. If it needs more fresh thyme add it along with the pasta or rice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

If making stock I simply strain the veg as they have served their purpose and freeze.

thanks I want to make a roast chicken tomorrow and use the left over for a stock to freeze for soup in the future. Is it ok if I refrigerate the carcass over night. I just want to get the best flavor out of it and to me leftover chicken just doesn't taste as good.

love2travel Mentor

thanks I want to make a roast chicken tomorrow and use the left over for a stock to freeze for soup in the future. Is it ok if I refrigerate the carcass over night. I just want to get the best flavor out of it and to me leftover chicken just doesn't taste as good.

Mmmm...roast chicken is so homey and comforting and just plain wonderful. It is certainly fine to refrigerate your carcass overnight without any worry. I know what you mean about leftover chicken. What I often do is make Chicken a la King (if it is a large chicken) then make stock.

Save me the skin, would you? :lol:

GFdad0110 Apprentice

Mmmm...roast chicken is so homey and comforting and just plain wonderful. It is certainly fine to refrigerate your carcass overnight without any worry. I know what you mean about leftover chicken. What I often do is make Chicken a la King (if it is a large chicken) then make stock.

Save me the skin, would you? :lol:

yes it is one of my all time favorites and now also one of my sons. I like to make a side of rice and pour on a little of the broth and some of the onions I roasted under the chicken

love2travel Mentor

yes it is one of my all time favorites and now also one of my sons. I like to make a side of rice and pour on a little of the broth and some of the onions I roasted under the chicken

Yum! I often make compound butters (i.e. sage and lemon) and slip them under the skin along with fresh thyme and sage before roasting. I put half a lemon, lots of garlic and half an onion with herbs into the cavity and season heavily with salt and pepper. Then I put a couple of lemon halves in with the roast face down and squeeze the roasted lemon juice over the meat. Like I roast onions with it, too, as well as whole garlic cloves that I spread on bread or put into mashed potatoes. Delicious.

Last year we found a local farmer who is raising his chickens free range - they have a ton of room to walk around and peck the ground for insects very happily. They are wonderful and plump and flavourful.

missy'smom Collaborator

Just wondering whether you found a use for your Marsala. It is also great for mascerating dried fruit as you mentioned - very good with dried apricots, cherries... Oh, yes - I also rehydrate dried mushrooms in it and then use the liquid in risotto or whatever. And, of course, very good as a pan sauce with some cream.

Thanks for asking. It's still hanging out in the pantry waiting to be used.

Still working on clearing out.

Used up the rest of the fresh pie cherries in the freezer that we purchased at a farmer's market many months ago. Put them in an apple pear crisp today.

Used up some of the green thai curry paste this past weekend and some of the the rice wraps and rice noodles and sweet ginger chili sauce got used for Vietnamese spring rolls last weekend.

One section of the freezer is looking nice and clean and organized today :)

I've got a stash of juices from roasted beef, pork and chicken that I need to use up, all full of other ingredients and flavors. There's always a lot of flavorful liqiuds left that I hate to waste.

Now what can I use up this weekend?...

a small stash of various condiments in the fridge that we should work on...

Archived