This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Ic

jbaker

jbaker Newbie

Hello all,

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Jane, and I have Celiac and IC. The doctor was trying to see if my bladder was ok with a ct scan and found a mass on my kidney. So now I have had part of one kidney removed. I have stuck to the gluten-free diet for almost a year. The IC diet is new and so inclusive of things i love to eat. However the pain from IC has become so severe I am afraid to eat or drink anything. The doc tried a parson's treatment, I thought I was going to die from it. The pain was worse than ever. What I am trying to find is one thing I can drink everyday to give my body the vitamins and nutrients it needs. Does anyone know something like slim fast, but gluten free? I sometimes don't know if i am tired from the surgery, the lack of food or the pain.

Please help if you can.

jane

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chiana Apprentice

When I eat gluten I have the symptoms of IC. After several weeks of eating gluten-free it resolves. Are you sure you're not getting any contamination anywhere?

A lot of those drinks that are gluten-free are really high in protein which is hard on your kidneys. Have you tried just buying a juicer and doing a carrot-spinach-strawberry mix, etc?

MitziG Enthusiast

Hi Jane, I hope you got the new PM where I told you the name of the product. Other than that, all I can offer you is hope. My IC has improved dramatically since giving up gluten and dairy to where most days I dont even think about it. It may take alot of experimenting on your part to find out what works for you, but almost always, IC can be controlled to a reasonable degree by diet. I know I mentioned comfrey tea in another post to you, do give it a try. It provides instant relief during a flare.Feel free to PM me anytime that you need some moral support form someone who has been there. I know how depressing IC can be!

Skylark Collaborator

I'm sorry to hear you're so ill. I was tested for IC once but luckily I didn't have it. My pain turned out to be endometriosis.

Ensure is probably what you need and it is gluten-free. Ensure is a medical drink designed for people who aren't eating very well. It's much better than Slim-Fast or other diet drinks because it's designed for complete nutrition rather than weight loss. You can double-check with your doctor if it's safe for your kidneys.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I was misdiagnosed for 3 months as Ic before my dh's best friend helped us discover I had celiac and not ic. Please join the ic network. They are kind and helpful, just like here.

• 2 weeks later...
RollingAlong Explorer

You could try Neocate

Archived