#1 Bonnie

Bonnie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:58 PM

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else just knows while they are eating something thats it contains gluten. Before you have any symptoms I mean.

I went shopping on Sunday and was starving. I have to eat or I start feeling really weak. Went to a restaurant and could not find one thing on the menu I could have.

After about 20 minutes of searching I asked the waiter for some scrambled egg with avo and some french fries.

Well it looked ok but as soon as I started eating I just knew there was gluten somewhere in this meal. I couldn't taste anything, I can't explain, just a feeling. Within 10 minutes the headache started, heart was racing incredibly fast, nausea and sooo tired I could hardly drive home.

I questioned myself afterwards as to whether I "talked" myself into the symptoms and whether it was all in my head. Is this possible?

I learned a valuable lesson though! Its just so difficult when you are out and hungry, there is nothing to buy quickly to fill you up.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yvonne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:04 AM

I usually know right away. I get this weird burning/choking/tickle kind of feeling in my throat...... immediately after ingesting.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:30 AM

I feel it right away. I usually start feeling weird in the midst of eating it right before the symptoms set it. When that happens I stop eating because I know by that point I was glutened.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 Bonnie

Bonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:51 AM

Thats exactly like me Kaiti.

Its weird because you get all these emotions raging through you because you just know you are going to get sick and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I almost wish I could make myself throw up to get rid of it but of course that won't work! Its really unpleasant feeling out of control like that.

#5 Guest_kmmolina_*

Guest_kmmolina_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:34 AM

Bonnie...I know what you mean about feeling like you have talked yourself into getting sick. I don't know if I can tell right away..yet, but I will do things like all of a sudden feel really bloated. I swear I can gain 5 pounds within 4 hours, because of being glutenized...but it feels crazy making. Sometime I feel like a hypochondriac...it just feels crazy!!! :unsure:

#6 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:19 PM

[I learned a valuable lesson though! Its just so difficult when you are out and hungry, there is nothing to buy quickly to fill you up.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yvonne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]
celiac disease is something you have to be aware of at all times and plan in advance, kinda like diabetics have a snack with them at all times just in case their blood sugar drops. If you keep a gluten-free granola bar or something like that handy to tide you over, you should be able to get to someplace that would have something acceptable to eat.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#7 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

My lips get a prickly, tingling sensation and I start to get a little brain fog. Fortunately I am not super sensitive and I can stop eating before it gets any worse.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#8 Bonnie

Bonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:27 PM

My lips get a prickly, tingling sensation and I start to get a little brain fog. Fortunately I am not super sensitive and I can stop eating before it gets any worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ian have you found that the brain fog gets worse the longer you are gluten-free? I am noticing its got a lot worse for me but perhaps it will level out as its still relatively early days for me. Its a horrible feeling, like you're not really here, can't really take in what people are telling me, or promptly forget what they told me!

#9 Bonnie

Bonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

[[/quote]
celiac disease is something you have to be aware of at all times and plan in advance, kinda like diabetics have a snack with them at all times just in case their blood sugar drops. If you keep a gluten-free granola bar or something like that handy to tide you over, you should be able to get to someplace that would have something acceptable to eat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

Thanks Nettiebeads.

You are so right, I will start carrying something in my bag from now on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: