Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Burger King Fries Now gluten-free

11 posts in this topic

From TriumphDining:

Burger King's New Fries ARE Gluten-Free

The folks at Burger King have just confirmed that their new fry recipe, the first change since 1998, is gluten-free. The new fries are thicker, with reduced sodium and a coating that makes them crisper and keeps them hotter. They have been available in all of Burger King locations since December 5.

Ads by Google:

Shared fryers?

shared fryers? This question needs to be asked at every Fast Food Joint!.. I'm still trying to get a straight answer on when these places filter the oil & reuse,do they mix the dedicated fryer oil with the regular fryer oils? If this is true then we could still have big CC issues.. I honestly don't know & I can't get a straight answer. But in reality I just don't see these places having a separate filtering vat for the gluten-free fryer...

What do you all think?

mamaw

I think that the purpose of a dedicated fryer is to keep the flavors from mingling, a goal that would be thwarted by filtering all the oil together. And at some places, used oil is thrown out at the end of the day -- or even more often.

richard

I simply don't trust fast food joints with my health. Especially having worked fast food when I was younger, I honestly can't imagine that a piece of breaded chicken hasn't fallen into the 'fry' fryer during the lunch rush. Or that they bother to have two oil filters - or that they keep track of which is which, for that matter. Minimum wage does not breed good food handling practices.

check out this thread. There is a guy named DRH??? That says he owns a BK.

Their gluten sensitive menu still contains the disclaimer that they can be fried in shared fryers so I would be very careful until BK puts out a press release and/or updates their menu (currently dated last March)...

http://www.bk.com/cm.../GlutenFree.pdf

The blog post on Triumph actually says "gluten-free status unclear" not that they are gluten free and Burger King's response does not imply or say the new fries are gluten free. http://www.triumphdi...lear/#more-8932

Although I'm late to this topic, I'm posting in case others search for this info. I went to my local BK in Maryland and asked about the fries. At our location they are fried in a dedicated fryer (2 of them just for fries) and there is another fryer just for nuggets, onion rings, etc. Nothing else shares the fryer with the fries so, at least locally, the only concern would be something falling into the grease from another product and cross-contaminating the oil.

Am wondering if anyone has ever had reaction to BK sweet potato fries. I asked all the right questions at the BK I went to (yes, dedicated fryer, they said) but have had terrible reaction. I can't think of what else it might be.....any thoughts?

I was told the fryer for fries is in front of the fryer for everything else. THey never mentioned how they cook the sweet potato fries, but my concern is if those items in the rear fryer are lifted across the fryer for fries, which is dedicated to just fries, what happens if some of that grease or some of the breading drops in the fryer for fries? I'm sure we all know the answer, but how bad does a CC drop of grease effect an entire fryer of oil? Wish I knew, but scary to think they're nearby each other as they described.

On top of the concerns about what they are dripping into the fryer, there is an additional concern. I went into a BK in my early gluten free days. I ordered fries after grilling the guy at the counter. While I waited I watched someone use the scoop on onion rings, then fries. When I said I'd like to just get my money back I was told they could use the allergy free scooper. I explained to them like they were morons (because they are) that once that scoop goes into the onion rings, then back into the fries that they aren't safe and won't/can't be until the bin is emptied and cleaned. Once the contamination happens it can't unhappen from using some magical scooper. The manager acted like I was some sort of freak but gave me my money. I'm pretty sure if a magical scoop would de-glutenize food we would all own one already.