3 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

My dd just diagnosed this week and someone told me to buy the scanavert (one word) app for my iphone or android. It is $2 a month or $9.99 a year (I think). I did it for the first month. It has been great to take to the store and even scan food at my mother in laws house. You can do it with any main allergy. I did gluten free and tree nut free. I just scan the barcode and it will tell me if it is safe or not. The bad side is that some store brands are not included. And once, I scanned a "gluten free" item and it told me that it was not gluten free. But other than that one goof, I have been pleased. Thought it might be of some help to some other new people. I downloaded some restaurant apps for free but too scared to try restaurants now. Does anyone know any other apps that you find helpful?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

My dd just diagnosed this week and someone told me to buy the scanavert (one word) app for my iphone or android. It is $2 a month or $9.99 a year (I think). I did it for the first month. It has been great to take to the store and even scan food at my mother in laws house. You can do it with any main allergy. I did gluten free and tree nut free. I just scan the barcode and it will tell me if it is safe or not. The bad side is that some store brands are not included. And once, I scanned a "gluten free" item and it told me that it was not gluten free. But other than that one goof, I have been pleased. Thought it might be of some help to some other new people. I downloaded some restaurant apps for free but too scared to try restaurants now. Does anyone know any other apps that you find helpful?

I have the "Find me Gluten Free" app on my Droid. It's been useful to find restaurants that have gluten free menus or offerings near my location, wherever I am. It's more useful in some areas than others, and not all restaurants are on their database. The app will tell you the location and with some of the restaurants you can look at a menu online. I don't know if this is available for the iPhone.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#3 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have the "Find me Gluten Free" app on my Droid. It's been useful to find restaurants that have gluten free menus or offerings near my location, wherever I am. It's more useful in some areas than others, and not all restaurants are on their database. The app will tell you the location and with some of the restaurants you can look at a menu online. I don't know if this is available for the iPhone.

It is indeed available for the iPhone. I downloaded it last week and love it. For those who want to try it out, it's free!

I also paid for the "Is That Gluten Free?" app. I wish it had a scan option, but I love the fact that it draws out the good AND bad ingredients. It is now $7.99 though

#4 ScanAvert

ScanAvert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi 1974 girl, thanks for mentioning our app! We try very hard to alert our subscribers to the presence of gluten and think we have the best app on the market. Since we capture all label text, including the nutritional box, ingredient statement, may contain... processed on equipment..., we also have to program a lengthy 'terms to ignore' list, such as "peanut flour", "coconut flour", "a great source of gluten free protein" etc. However, the increasing amounts of 'testimonial text', and 'promotional text' on Gluten-free products is difficult to program- no service or app could program for each combination and that creates the false alert you may be referring to above. That's why, with each alert, we display the text/phrase it came from, and that way you can tell if its from a testimonial statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: