36 replies to this topic

#1 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Has anyone else experienced tachycardia or heart palpitations after going gluten-free?
For several years now (3-5) I've gotten very occasional (like maybe a few times a month) heart palps, but since the middle of October (right around the time I challenged with gluten and then went gluten-free for good) they became much more frequent. I notice them anywhere from a couple of times to ten times a day.
I had pretty strong tachycardia last night while I was eating dinner (no gluten), so not sure if it's related to diet or what. Most of the time I notice it I'm lying down or relaxed in some way, so I don't think it can be stress-related.
I'm wearing a cardiac event recorder right now, so hopefully the doc will find something...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

I've been getting them when I get glutened but that's about it. Is it possible you have cc issues of some sort or are being glutened somewhere?

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Do oyou have any bloating or gas while you experience these episodes?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Has anyone else experienced tachycardia or heart palpitations after going gluten-free?
For several years now (3-5) I've gotten very occasional (like maybe a few times a month) heart palps, but since the middle of October (right around the time I challenged with gluten and then went gluten-free for good) they became much more frequent. I notice them anywhere from a couple of times to ten times a day.
I had pretty strong tachycardia last night while I was eating dinner (no gluten), so not sure if it's related to diet or what. Most of the time I notice it I'm lying down or relaxed in some way, so I don't think it can be stress-related.
I'm wearing a cardiac event recorder right now, so hopefully the doc will find something...

I get palpitations (but not fast enough to call it tachycardia) whenever I eat cane sugar, which is one of my diagnosed (IgG mediated) allergens. I also get a little nauseaus when I eat cane sugar. All my other allergens (gluten, dairy, soy, egg, vanill and nutmeg) cause gut pain, bloating and diarrhea or constipation. Cane sugar is the only one that causes palpitations. I can eat any other kind of natural sweetener (stevia, maple syrup, agave, beet sugar, honey, etc.) but nothing derived from cane sugar (molasses, sucanat, splenda, brown sugar) without getting those palpitations for at least 48 hours after ingestion. My ND says he's seen several people with cane sugar allergy as well as me.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

I don't think I'm getting glutened anywhere because I'm pretty careful. I don't even have gluten foods in the house at all, and I'm pretty careful when I go out. It's possible I may be reacting to a different food (like sugar), so I'll try to pay attention to see if any particular food correlates with the tachy.
Mushroom, I don't generally get bloated during the palps, but once or twice I've actually gotten a stomach-ache after a palp episode ended. This happened the other night, but I didn't connect the two since it was right after I ate dinner. The palpitations, generally, happen at night/evening and mostly when I'm lying down or at rest.

There may be no connection to diet, but I wanted to throw it out there to you guys.

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Low B1(thiamin) can cause those symptoms, along with folic acid deficiency, or iron deficiency.
Have you had any blood panels run recently?
It's fine to supplement the B vitamins and folic acid..(and maybe a good idea because gluten-free foods aren't fortified with vitamins like gluten foods), but you shouldn't supplement iron unless you know you're anemic.

My resting pulse is always above 100, and raises sometimes, so I know it can be alarming. I'm hoping I'll settle down once I'm healed enough to start absorbing nutrients.
Good luck to you!

#7 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Mine seem to have started since I went gluten free as well, but I am pretty sure they are diet related because I only get them if I am bloated or gassy. I am taking a fish oil pill with vitamin D and it seems to help. I do think it is strange that this started after I went gluten free. I am trying to cut out alot of the suger out of my diet and I noticed yesterday that after lunch my heart was racing for a while and I did have some sugar with my meal. Never had that before either. Mushroom, why do you ask if peeptoad is experiencing gas with the pals? Do you have an idea of what it may be?

#8 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

I don't think I'm getting glutened anywhere because I'm pretty careful. I don't even have gluten foods in the house at all, and I'm pretty careful when I go out. It's possible I may be reacting to a different food (like sugar), so I'll try to pay attention to see if any particular food correlates with the tachy.
Mushroom, I don't generally get bloated during the palps, but once or twice I've actually gotten a stomach-ache after a palp episode ended. This happened the other night, but I didn't connect the two since it was right after I ate dinner. The palpitations, generally, happen at night/evening and mostly when I'm lying down or at rest.

There may be no connection to diet, but I wanted to throw it out there to you guys.

My heart rate increased a bit after I started taking thyroid supplements, but I had a very low heart rate and needed to increase that. However, I wsa scared that feeling my heart 'pounding' was a sign of overdose until I read an article about heart palpitations at night. If you don't feel your heart during the day, but only feel a 'pounding' sensation in bed, you may not have palpitations. Most people feel the pounding more intensely when lying in bed. This is expected in that the mattress serves as a sounding board. The mattress reflects back toward the person the vibrations from blood that is more forcefully ejected from the large chamber up against the inner lining of the aorta. I found that I didn't notice my heart beat so much if I lay on my right side.

However, if you should feel your heart beat more during the day time, especially when you're sitting at rest, then you may need to tell your doctor to check for hyperthyroid signs. Most people feel their heartbeat more intensely after exercise. So if you feel your heart beat often during the day or even suspect your heart is 'racing' (very rapid beats or tachycardia), then you certainly should get that checked out.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

I believe that the heart palpitations and tachycardia (and sometimes atrial fibrillation) are caused by pressure on / irritation of the vagus nerve. This has been a problem for me for more than 30 years and is definitely food related, and for me it is associated with bloating and gassiness as well. I have several trigger foods for it in addition to gluten (corn is even worse than gluten), and it does occur when lying down most often -- the contents of the abdomen move around when we change positions and can put pressure on the heart and on the lungs, sometimes causing shortness of breath and increase in the bloating feeling. I used to get vasovagal syncope (sudden drop in blood pressure and fainting) from this pressure, but now I just get the a-fib, with associated runs of tachycardia and elevated blood pressure. It can be most disconcerting. It is definitely connnected to food and digestion, but hard to find anyone to deal with it because the cardios don't want to talk about digestion and the gastros don't want to talk about heart problems and there is no one out there to put the whole picture together. It gets very frustrating.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Awesome info mushroom. Since mine happens mainly at night when I'm lying down after the largest meal of the day for me typically (dinner), then it wouldn't surpise me if food was part of the issue in my case. Since going gluten free I really haven't gotten bloated though...

Bubba's Mom, I do (or did) have an iron deficiency, so that also could be a factor. I'm currently taking iron three times a day with vitamin C to boost my ferritin because it's been persistently low. At the last blood draw it was finally rising though.

burdee, I've asked my doctor about my thyroid a number of times now. My standard labs (TSH, T4) are in the normal range, but I've heard that some people can have issues even testing "normal" with the thyroid. For some reason my doctor is resistant to do any further testing in this area, although she's having me undergo tests for everything else under the sun. I've asked her three times about my thyroid to no avail. I can't understand it...

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

burdee, I've asked my doctor about my thyroid a number of times now. My standard labs (TSH, T4) are in the normal range, but I've heard that some people can have issues even testing "normal" with the thyroid. For some reason my doctor is resistant to do any further testing in this area, although she's having me undergo tests for everything else under the sun. I've asked her three times about my thyroid to no avail. I can't understand it...

peeptoad, you should get a copy of your hormone results from your doctor. Some doctors (and labs) still use the old outdated ranges in hormone testing/results which alllowed for a much greater range. Find out what your results and ranges were and let us know. :)
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#12 bbdailey

bbdailey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I used to get palpitations all the time before going gluten free...i was also beginning to become anxious and I remember thinking my great was gonna blow at times...i also had muscle spasms all over...after going gluten-free all of that went away other than the occasional spasm. But recently I have been getting bad muscle spasms just under the heart right below the rib cage..they are happening basically most of the day every day. At first I thought they were palpitations but I would feel my pulse and it was always normal while the spasms were happening. Do you think yours could be spasms as well?

#13 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Not many docs are fluent in 'thyroid'. Some use the outdated TSH normal range. Now endocrinologists recommend that only TSH between .3 and 3.0 or even .25 and 2.5 is considered normal. Also you can have 'normal TSH' (whatever scale is used) and 'normal range' T4, but still have low T3 (the hormone that actually controls metabolism, etc.). T4 is just a 'prohormone' which is useless until it drops a molecule and becomes T3. However, some people don't easily convert T3 to T4. So T4 can be 'normal', while someone has hypothyroid symptoms. Also, if you have gluten intolerance, you could also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (low thyroid function). With Hashimoto's, all your other thyroid tests (TSH, free t4, free t3) can be normal, but you have high (Hashimoto's) antibodies. The other tests won't be abnormal until those antibodies have damaged your thyroid enough to decrease normal function, but who wants to wait that long? Obviously most doctors. SIGH

#14 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

Here are my thyroid labs from November (range):

free T4: 0.90 (0.58-1.64)
TSH: 0.89 (0.34-5.60)
Thyroid peroxidase AB: 15 (<35)
total T3: 1.34 (0.87-1.78)

...didn't realize I had gotten my T3 checked already. I now remember specifically asking my doctor about the free T3 and she won't run that test for some reason (maybe my insurance won't cover it?).

#15 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Here are my thyroid labs from November (range):

free T4: 0.90 (0.58-1.64)
TSH: 0.89 (0.34-5.60)
Thyroid peroxidase AB: 15 (<35)
total T3: 1.34 (0.87-1.78)

...didn't realize I had gotten my T3 checked already. I now remember specifically asking my doctor about the free T3 and she won't run that test for some reason (maybe my insurance won't cover it?).

The TSH range is wider than recommended, but your TSH is still normal. Also all the other test results are in the normal ranges used by the lab. So the doc probably won't request more tests.

Perhaps you should reconsider original idea about palpitations being caused by food intolerance/allergies. Besides my cane sugar reaction, I also can get heart palpitations if I consume much caffeine from coffee, tea or soda pop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: