This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe Help

collgwg

collgwg Contributor

i hope i am posting this in the right place being that i am quite sensitive to alot of things

i am asking what can i use in place of the buttermilk? i can use latcese milk do i add more butter to the amt of milk and if so how much i also plan on using cultured butter

for the sugar i bought a bag of corn maltodextrin ,sucralose (in gredients read corn maltodextrin sucralose 6 mg per 0.5g) says granulated sweetener calorie free execellent for baking measures cup for cup like sugar

now i have used it when i run out of agave my prefered choice so far im not sure if im really liking the after taste of it kindof yucky and im noticeing swelling behind my ears from just tasteing the coconunt milk tapicoa egg vanilla pudding mabe thas not such a good idea not too sure if the body is liking that taste test

haveing such a sensitive system im at such a loss as what to choose to eat this is why im looking for a safe muffin to eat

here is the recpie in question thanks in advance everyone :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

collgwg Contributor

Elizabeth's Giant Cranberry Irish Muffins

Contributed by: Elizabeth Dorsey Hatle

This recipe was not tested in the Bob

love2travel Mentor

Can you tolerate vinegar? All you do for buttermilk is to measure 1 tbsp of plain white vinegar into a measuring cup and add enough lactose-free milk to make 1 1/4 cups. There actually is no butter in buttermilk so you do not need to make any changes to the amount of butter required. Buttermilk is called for in recipes both for the flavour and for the acid that works with the baking powder/soda.

Your sweetener is fine to add because it is only 2 tbsp which is a small amount (you will get some of the sweetness from the cranberries).

Just make sure not to overmix! Only mix until blended - no more.

This is a very basic/standard muffin recipe that should work out very well as it does not contain any tricky ingredients or special techniques. Once you become familiar with various ingredients you can use different flours, starches and additions such as toasted nuts. You may actually find you like other flours rather than white rice flour because white rice flour isn't exactly nutrient packed! But part of the fun of baking is playing with recipes and having fun with them. This is a great recipe with which to start. :)

Hope you enjoy the muffins! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

well, I see you have been given the answer already--and you can trust her advice --she is one heckuva cook/baker! ;)

I am so glad to see you trying your hand at baking again, Coll!! never give up.

Good for you. Feeling better are you? I think about you often!!

IH

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

The other thing I see is lemon used in place of vinegar (used in place of buttermilk).

I have a teacakes recipe I prefer using lemon/milk.

IrishHeart Veteran

Have you seen the book Allergy Free Desserts by Elizabeth Gordon?

It has amazing recipes in it. She has some on her site. gluten-free, dairy, soy, nut and egg- free too!

Open Original Shared Link

and this may give you some ideas too...

Open Original Shared Link

love2travel Mentor

The other thing I see is lemon used in place of vinegar (used in place of buttermilk).

I have a teacakes recipe I prefer using lemon/milk.

Yes! I've also used orange, tangerine, lime or grapefruit as the acid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

collgwg Contributor

thanks so much

im still at such a loss as what to eat this is why the muffin recpie i need something safe but good to eat and something i can just grab and have with a cup of tea

i am still testing foods and elemateing alot i also found all tho i do like nuts my guts do not

im having a hard time baking or even cooking but tonight i suprised my self i made a roast chicken and added tumeric and ginger root and garlic and onion and used herbmare seasoning orginal and omg is it ever good

i also fryed cabbage and cut up brussel sprouts green onion in rendard baccon fat made from fresh home grown baccon yum

i have been takeing l glutemine and probiotics and suppelments that have digestive enzimes in it and the gut burn has calmed down some what

IrishHeart Veteran

thanks so much

im still at such a loss as what to eat this is why the muffin recpie i need something safe but good to eat and something i can just grab and have with a cup of tea

i am still testing foods and elemateing alot i also found all tho i do like nuts my guts do not

im having a hard time baking or even cooking but tonight i suprised my self i made a roast chicken and added tumeric and ginger root and garlic and onion and used herbmare seasoning orginal and omg is it ever good

i also fryed cabbage and cut up brussel sprouts green onion in rendard baccon fat made from fresh home grown baccon yum

i have been takeing l glutemine and probiotics and suppelments that have digestive enzimes in it and the gut burn has calmed down some what

Well, this is GREAT news, hon--compared to where you were just two weeks ago!! yaaay!!

Best to you!

Archived