16 replies to this topic

#1 Homerhurts

Homerhurts

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

Before I start allow me to first say how utterly embarrassed, humiliated and fearful of writing this I truly am. We should be able to talk about these things with family, friends and doctors how ever in reality…..no possible force on this earth could make me have this conversation in person with any other intellectual species with the ability to reply…………..i do talk to the dog all the time.

I have multiple questions about bowl movements and im hopping some folks on here could give me some insight. I've posted a few times before and always received good advice.

Quickly, im a year this month into being diagnosed with Celiac, confirmed via biopsy, During this time I was also confirmed with Gall Stones. (oh 36 yr old)

I've felt that I had been dealing with Two separate types of attacks, one being Celiac related and one from the Gall Stones. Its been a fun year.

Besides my attempts to control diet, environment and mental state of being lol, I still feel after a year I have very little control over my own situation, however keeping in mind I am a neurotic control freak when it comes to just myself lol.

I have made some progress, I think……………overall I do have weeks that I do feel better, My Diet has completely changed and I do not cheat (no way is it worth it) It has been awhile since I've had a Gall Bladder attack (what I believe was one anyways) but I cant seem to be going more than a month without being Glutened in same way or another………….im hoping as time passes this gets better and better.

I have put on to my disgust just over ten pounds over the last year - initially I lost over 70 pounds, I was down to around 295 and now sitting between 305 & 308 - So I guess on one hand if im gaining weight then perhaps my intestinal tract is healing?

I have so many questions on what its like to feel "NORMAL"…….and of course I am constantly questioning every little ache, pain and bowl movement. Since it seems my gastrologist is judging my current health on them?

So I guess here are some questions -

K, One of the things that have been bothering me along with everything else was the Heart Palpitations (I did see another thread on them recently as well).

Right after my diagnosis because of my Blood pressure medication I was taking (high blood pressure) the Meds had depleted my potassium to the point that it felt like my heart way literally throwing itself up against the walls of my chest!

Now I have never got them as bad as that again, but the odd night here and there I would get them

I could never tell if it was a result of being Glutened or not getting enough nutrition -

So

Im desperately attempting to lose more weight in a healthy way, but still remained nourished!!!!................I started making my own smoothies.

In particular the Celery juice thing seems that would be beneficial to us celiac. Now this brings me to my questions.

What is a normal healthy bowl movement?

When I was Glutened - I would have every element of Diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, Cramps…..oh man those cramps are fun, exhaustion, insomnia (although I never sleep anyways)

Over the year the Glutened washroom sessions are not as severe, but still not a ride in the park.

I seem to be getting Gluttened symptoms out of the blue even though I swear I haven't touched anything, then of course I feel like im in the X-files attempting to track down the source.

The last two days I have had my Celery smoothie that only consists of 3 Celery stalks, 3 to 4 apples, and a shot or two of pink grapefruit juice.

Yesterday I was in the washroom 6 times with bowl movement that wasn’t diarrhea but wasn’t like……..uh……normal?...............and today it hasn’t been as many trips but its like diarrhea but no watery type?......does that make any sense. Good thing however is that I have not been having the Glutened cramps!!!!

Are these smoothies just cleaning me out?, is this healthy?, and I allergic now to apples, celery and Pink grapefruit juice?

For the year I did indulge in a lot of Gluten free junk food to help me cope, but as of late my diet is Cheese, rice noodles, chicken just about every night and rice. I am a big pasta lover so Rice noodles and Ragu sauce with chicken is a staple for me.

I just don’t know whats normal anymore and the paranoid is starting to ware me down.

Any opinions are welcomed,
Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Do not be embarrased about poop. Unfortunately, we all know way too much about it. :rolleyes: It was the last thing I expected to become a pseudo- expert on. :lol: But I had to because I was wasting away and suffered the big D or C ---all the time---and I was in constant pain and had to figure out what the heck to do about it. I was 225 myself when the celiac triggered and plummeted to 122--not good at all. I was skeletal and my muscles became so weak and malnourished that I could not walk or sit or lie down without extreme pain. I'm still working on getting them back.

I tried juicing to get something to stay in--and all it did was --cause more problems. Immediate evacuation both ways--if you get my drift. Why? Well, because a compromised GI tract cannot DIGEST it.

You may well have some "cleansing" going on from juicing celery, apple and grapefruit juice. You are doing this because you think it will help your weight loss--is that right?

Prolonged cleansing of the bowels is not--contrary to popular belief--(and I am SURE some will argue with me on this :rolleyes: )--a good thing at all, especially if you have Celiac or any other inflammatory bowel disease.

Question:

Did this bowel difficulty begin when you started this new addition? Or has it been going on all along during the past year of being gluten free?

You mention you get glutened "every month"--which can also perpetuate the bowel issues.

(I doubt you have suddenly developed an allergy to these three foods so suddenly).

I would suggest you take probiotics every day, if you are not taking them already. They balance the gut flora and help restore natural balance.

To be frank, I will give it to you straight, okay. Since you asked, a healthy BM is one that is not strained, runny or very smelly. It should not be in pieces or like hard little marbles.
It should be formed and come out smoothly. There is disagreement about how often someone should "go", but most people are happy with one a day. :)

It's kind of sad I know all that info --I swear, I did not study poopology in grad school. :lol:

But I made it my mission to stop being so ill and dehydrated so my trips to the ER, heart palpitations and hypoglycemia and everything else would stop.

And they have. And my weight has stabilized at 137. I was overweight for 10 years before I became ill, though.

Here is why you need probiotics:

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

For successful weight management and stable blood sugars, I found that eating smaller more frequent meals throughout the day works better than 3 big meals

and

that for every carb I eat, I eat lean PROTEIN. Carbs alone--pasta, rice and cheese--should be a smaller portion than the protein and the largest portion of food on your plate should VEGETABLES for fiber. Except for the celery, you have not mentioned them at all. :unsure: This will also help with the poop factor. :)

Can you eat gluten-free oatmeal? That is filling, healthy and will firm things up as well. Try other grains besides white rice and rice pasta. Too much cheese can mess up the works as well.

If my humble suggestions do not help, maybe a dietician can help you sort this out?

Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Lori2

Lori2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Your morning smoothie would have me on the toilet all day. Please add some protein.

You ask what a normal healthy bowel movement looks like. I happened to find this on the internet. It's a morning talk show on Canadian TV. The topic of discussion is "What your BM says about you!" They discussed seven different types of BM's, then showed what each looked like. Needless to say, it was a very different program, but perhaps it will answer your question.

The next segment of the show, "The natural way to optimal digestion" also had some information about gluten and celiac.

http://www.marilyn.c.../WhatYourBMSays

#4 giggleburger

giggleburger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Your morning smoothie would have me on the toilet all day. Please add some protein.

You ask what a normal healthy bowel movement looks like. I happened to find this on the internet. It's a morning talk show on Canadian TV. The topic of discussion is "What your BM says about you!" They discussed seven different types of BM's, then showed what each looked like. Needless to say, it was a very different program, but perhaps it will answer your question.

The next segment of the show, "The natural way to optimal digestion" also had some information about gluten and celiac.

http://www.marilyn.c.../WhatYourBMSays

Wow, that page may not be tons of information, but it is super helpful.

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

http://www.marilyn.ca/HealthFitness/segments.aspx/Daily/October2011/10_05_2011/WhatYourBMSays

Thank-you.
I too spend a lot of time thinking about my poop. It is good to have information from a medical expert.

#6 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for posting that link.
My poops have changed a lot in the short time I have been gluten free, it's good to know what 'normal' is.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.”

#7 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Do not be embarrased about poop. Unfortunately, we all know way too much about it. :rolleyes: It was the last thing I expected to become a pseudo- expert on. :lol: But I had to because I was wasting away and suffered the big D or C ---all the time---and I was in constant pain and had to figure out what the heck to do about it. I was 225 myself when the celiac triggered and plummeted to 122--not good at all. I was skeletal and my muscles became so weak and malnourished that I could not walk or sit or lie down without extreme pain. I'm still working on getting them back.

I tried juicing to get something to stay in--and all it did was --cause more problems. Immediate evacuation both ways--if you get my drift. Why? Well, because a compromised GI tract cannot DIGEST it.

You may well have some "cleansing" going on from juicing celery, apple and grapefruit juice. You are doing this because you think it will help your weight loss--is that right?

Prolonged cleansing of the bowels is not--contrary to popular belief--(and I am SURE some will argue with me on this :rolleyes: )--a good thing at all, especially if you have Celiac or any other inflammatory bowel disease.

Question:

Did this bowel difficulty begin when you started this new addition? Or has it been going on all along during the past year of being gluten free?

You mention you get glutened "every month"--which can also perpetuate the bowel issues.

(I doubt you have suddenly developed an allergy to these three foods so suddenly).

I would suggest you take probiotics every day, if you are not taking them already. They balance the gut flora and help restore natural balance.

To be frank, I will give it to you straight, okay. Since you asked, a healthy BM is one that is not strained, runny or very smelly. It should not be in pieces or like hard little marbles.
It should be formed and come out smoothly. There is disagreement about how often someone should "go", but most people are happy with one a day. :)

It's kind of sad I know all that info --I swear, I did not study poopology in grad school. :lol:

But I made it my mission to stop being so ill and dehydrated so my trips to the ER, heart palpitations and hypoglycemia and everything else would stop.

And they have. And my weight has stabilized at 137. I was overweight for 10 years before I became ill, though.

Here is why you need probiotics:

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

For successful weight management and stable blood sugars, I found that eating smaller more frequent meals throughout the day works better than 3 big meals

and

that for every carb I eat, I eat lean PROTEIN. Carbs alone--pasta, rice and cheese--should be a smaller portion than the protein and the largest portion of food on your plate should VEGETABLES for fiber. Except for the celery, you have not mentioned them at all. :unsure: This will also help with the poop factor. :)

Can you eat gluten-free oatmeal? That is filling, healthy and will firm things up as well. Try other grains besides white rice and rice pasta. Too much cheese can mess up the works as well.

If my humble suggestions do not help, maybe a dietician can help you sort this out?

Best wishes!

This is about the most complete and best information I have read on the subject in a long time! ;) Very good, Irishheart, and extremely helpful to those needing information. It's better than what any medical professional will tell you.....they are the people who coined the term "toddler diarrhea" and they think that's normal! :blink:

#8 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

I see this has not been mentioned directly, but regardless of what nutrients you're taking in, even in a non-celiac person bowel movements will differ depending on what is eaten.

I don't think you really need any more information on the BM, but if you are having heart irregularities now that your celiac and gall bladder issues are mostly taken care of, it's probably due to your weight (not knowing your height or build, just guessing). I bet once you get that down to a better number you'll have less problems with that too. I used to not only have a racing heart but would get lightheaded and dizzy too. Once I lost weight, it went away.

#9 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

According to that video, I have never had a normal poop (at least I don't remember one so if I did it was many many years ago...) What does that mean? It has gotten a lot better since going gluten free but it still is not normal.

#10 KatieCartoon

KatieCartoon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi I'm 2 months into the land of Celiac. At first I was happy. And I saw some improvement with bloating and diarrhea right away. But now I've plateaued. I'm still pooing too often and too soft. (no TMI amoung celiac friends right?)

I'm doing my best to keep gluten out, I don't know how paranoid I should be. I get very frustrated because I still have problems when I do "right".

How do I figure out what to eat. So far, reading this I'm seeing, keep fiber, veggies, protein, and fat in your diet. (no smoothies?)

I'm also recently pregnant so i can't eat anything that isn't yummy(before I could eat something because it was healthy - now I'll just spit it out). A lot of gluten-free bread is yucky!

And I was looking at a list and seeing all the stuff where gluten hides! So depressing...ice-cream??

I need to find a doctor to help me. I'm tired tired tired (b/c celiac first then b/c pregnancy)

I want just 2 days off from pooping. Puh-leeze!

I find the website here a little overwhelming. I mean I never nearly died or even got all thin. I'm wondering if I could be allergic to other things, and how do I find out? what kind of doc. to I need?

Help!

#11 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

KatieCartoon, I am in a similar boat... Too soft, at least 2x a day. But it is so much better going gluten free that I am going to wait a while before I pursue other intolerances. It has improved quite a bit, now I never have to run to the bathroom. From what I have seen on here, it takes a while to get back to normal, and it has been less than a year since I went gluten free (gee I can't believe I don't know how long it has been) and since things are improving I am going to give myself time to heal. I have had bathroom issues for over 20 years but I have a horrible memory and poop just isn't one of those things that I try to remember :lol: I do know that I have had doctors tell me I have IBS for nearly 30 years.

As far as I know, the only ice creams that we need to worry about are things like chocolate chip cookie dough and cookies and cream because they have chunks of gluten. Just read the ingredients... I am happy to say that my favorite, rocky road, is gluten free YAY!

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

Yeah! I finally got a normal one again. I've been trying to figure out what is getting me for ages with careful elimination diets. The symptoms were pretty minor, but even minor symptoms aren't that great. This time I eliminated two things out of desperation to get better, now I need to decide which one to put back in again.

What I do is keep a food journal, do elimination diets, and don't add more than one new thing a week.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm doing my best to keep gluten out, I don't know how paranoid I should be. I get very frustrated because I still have problems when I do "right".

How do I figure out what to eat. So far, reading this I'm seeing, keep fiber, veggies, protein, and fat in your diet. (no smoothies?)

I find the website here a little overwhelming. I mean I never nearly died or even got all thin. I'm wondering if I could be allergic to other things, and how do I find out? what kind of doc. to I need?

Help!

You should not be paranoid at all, hon! This is nothing to be worried about.

Everyone is different and healing occurs at different rates.

Healthy Smoothies are all right!! Cleansing diets are not a good idea--that was a response to the original poster who was not feeling well. The one she talks of has minimal nutrition and is keeping her bowels running. How is that nutritious??

Not everyone gets "thin or nearly dies" from celiac. This disease process is so variable.

You are new to the diet. Just eat well, avoid gluten and dairy, if it bothers you ---and take some probiotics.

Drink water. Relax. Let your body heal.

There is no need to become paranoid or start worrying that every food is an "allergen". That is not the norm. okay? okay! ;)

Best wishes.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:03 AM

If you are newly DXed, dairy may be the issue. Ice cream could well cause you
the big D. Secondary lactose intolerance is common in celiac and is often a temporary issue --lactase is produced in the tips of the villi--and once the villi grow back, you can tolerate dairy once more.

If you experience bloating, D, nausea and you are sure it's not gluten getting in--this could be the culprit.

Lay off dairy for a few months. When the villi heal, you should be okay with dairy products. :) (Some people do not, but the majority of celiacs can "do dairy" just fine.)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

"According to that video, I have never had a normal poop (at least I don't remember one so if I did it was many many years ago...) What does that mean? It has gotten a lot better since going gluten free but it still is not normal."

I never had a normal poop either...until now!!!! I've been gluten-free for 6 months and I'm finally starting to have healthy poops, completely different from anything I've ever had in my whole 39 years of life. It's so crazy that for most of my life, I had no idea that my "bathroom habits" were so abnormal. More people need to talk about this!!! I'm glad that people like Marilyn and Dr. Oz are doing shows about it!
Gluten-Free as of September 2011

Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits...it says 'Oooooooo'.
Peter, those are Cheerios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: