This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enviro-kidz Cereal...my Kids Hate It

Guest Lucy

Guest Lucy

I see so many posts abotu the enviro kidz cereal. Everyone of them brags it up. Does anyone else's kids HATE it? Mine can't stand it. I can get them to take a bite, but then they REFUSE to eat more.

Any other cereal ideas? I do the fruity and cocoa pebbles, but am not fond of all the sugar. My 3 year old is also diabetic. I found some "organic" rice chex they love, that is gluten free but is also 6 bucks a box. I need quick breakfasts now that school is going to start again. THANKS for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

redheadheather Explorer
I see so many posts abotu the enviro kidz cereal.  Everyone of them brags it up.  Does anyone else's kids HATE it?  Mine can't stand it.  I can get them to take a bite,  but then they REFUSE to eat more.

Any other cereal ideas?  I do the fruity and cocoa pebbles, but am not fond of all the sugar.  My 3 year old is also diabetic.  I found some "organic" rice chex they love,  that is gluten free but is also 6 bucks a box.  I need quick breakfasts now that school is going to start again.  THANKS for any help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No suggestions... but, my sons also don't like Enviro Kidz cereals. But, they do like ham and eggs! So... so far I've just been alternating between the Pebbles cereals and eggs in the AM - I think I'll try some pancakes next week.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

You could try other foods for breakfast such as, scambled eggs and gluten-free toast, gluten-free waffles or pancakes with Aunt Jemima syrup, and fruit salad.

* I can buy 2 brands of gluten-free waffles in my local grocery store in the health food section

jenvan Collaborator

I like Healthy Valley...They have a cereal like Rice chex and Corn chex. they are called Rice/Corn Crunch'ems. And have you tried the Erehwon cereals--they have ones like rice krispies, plain, sweetened and one with berries. I like them all...

Mahee34 Enthusiast

The cereal thing is an ongoing dilemma for everyone I think...I understand what you're saying about the sugar in the cereal, Diabetes runs in my family and I get tested all the time, so being a Celiac has been slightly more difficult because they think adding sugar makes up for lack of flavor. The egg and pancake suggestion is a good idea, although it isn't very quick. Try making some muffins or raisin breads and if it comes down to it, a quick piece of toast with some jelly!!! Hope I helped! :D

Jnkmnky Collaborator

We must have numb taste buds in this family because we like them. How about waffles? Also kinnikinnick makes some great donuts, great chocolate chip muffins and great bagels. I don't recommend the cinnamon raisin bagels. Yuck.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I think cereal will always be a dilemma, the sugar thing is a part of celiac diesease that I have a problem with because of a history of diabetes. The eggs, waffles and pancakes are always a good idea, but I understand that you're short on time. I like to make muffins or rasin bread on my days where I have more time so I have those quick breakfast in the morning. If that doesn't work there is always toast and jelly!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Lucy-

go here to ck out the crisp rice ceral i spoke of earlier: Open Original Shared Link there is a little brown rice syrup as a sweetner, but i wouldn't consider this a sugary cereal at all. is it organic too. not all the cereals are gluten-free, so make sure you ck if you buy them that they are the gluten-free versions. their 2 other cereals are here:

Open Original Shared Link

here's the rice chex like cereal i mentioned too:

skbird Contributor

Hmmmm, I love the peanut butter Panda Puffs but honestly, as a kid, I didn't like anything peanut butter (cookies, cereal, etc). I have gotten Barbaras Brown Rice puffs - they are a lot like Rice Krispies and not much sugar. Another thought would be to try to make your own granola, if your kids would like that. I keep meaning to, it seems pretty easy - just take a mixture of things like coconut shreds, slivered almonds, other chopped nuts, raisins, etc and coat with some honey or something like that and toast? There must be good granola recipes out there, just sub in other ingredients. One of these days I'll actually do this and make up an official recipe.

Stephanie

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I make a big batch of homemade gluten-free waffles on the weekend and freeze them; You can pop them in a toaster oven for a couple minutes (crispier) or microwave them for a quick breakfast. I also make muffins to heat up during the week when my husband is in charge of breakfast. This is not quite as quick, but we also make french toast using gluten-free bread. My husband can do this, so it must not be too hard. ;)

tarnalberry Community Regular
Any other cereal ideas?  I do the fruity and cocoa pebbles, but am not fond of all the sugar.  My 3 year old is also diabetic.  I found some "organic" rice chex they love,  that is gluten free but is also 6 bucks a box.  I need quick breakfasts now that school is going to start again.  THANKS for any help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I went gluten-free, and had to deal with hypoglycemica, I finally realized something? Why does everyone think that breakfast has to be bready/starchy stuff? I did too, for the longest of times, so I'm not trying to be mean or something, but think about it... people say "what do you want for breakfast" and most people respond "cereal, waffles, bagels, muffins, pastries, pancakes, scones, toast". How's that well rounded?! (I don't remember exactly when I realized that, but man, it was a jaw dropping experience.)

So, rebel that I am, I started trying to find alternatives that were just as fast and convenient (with varying levels of success): smoothies, omlette, tuna tacos (canned tuna). But I didn't get that far, and still often have things like rice cakes with peanut butter and hot cereal (plenty of flax meal too!).

PicturePerfect Explorer
Any other cereal ideas?  I do the fruity and cocoa pebbles, but am not fond of all the sugar.  My 3 year old is also diabetic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In some grocery stores they cell Fruity Pebbles with 1/3 sugar. It only comes out to about 5 grams or so. :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Something I do on occassion, is make a lg batch of scrambled eggs at night, microwave bacon, put it all in the fridge, and in the morning, serve it re-heated in the microwave. It tastes fine. Not rubbery or anything. I do this because I'm not a morning person and I hate trying to cram all the work into 45 minutes before I HAVE to get the kids to school. And if my kids are late to school a few times, my school begins mailing me notes reminding me about "soft truancy". Sheesh! <_<

CaliGirl Newbie

I make egg muffins--they are really yummy, really fast, and a good way to use up extra veggies in the fridge. I got the recipe from someone else on the message board, and these are basically just scrambled eggs with extra goodies, and more convenient. I freeze a big batch, and then pop them in the microwave in the morning when my coffee is brewing. Here's the recipe:

My favorite version so far has green peppers, feta cheese, and tomatoes. Hhhmmm, I'm getting hungry....

Rachel

christicrete Rookie

I know this is not cereal but what about hard boiled eggs (peel em for the kids) and yogurt. I know the stuff in the packets (like go gurt) works great even in the car. I am a cereal fanatic and I cant stand all the sugar in pebbles so I alternate or do a small bowl and an egg. also, gluten-free ready to eat bacon takes like 10 seconds in the microwave. also fruit pieces already cut for the kids, you can keep apples and stuff that browns in a little water with lemon juice. Think outside the box, baby carrots can be breakfast food too, some how we all started thinking that there are speciffic breakfast foods (most all carbohydrate foods) and that they must be eaten in the AM and that lunch and dinner foods are to be eaten in the PM

HOpe this helps!

Christi

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

My dd can't do dairy, eggs or soy. Breakfast is an adventure for us!! My dd loves to have a sweet potato for breakfast. I steam the potato, peeling and all. I sprinkle fresh ground flax seed and top it wtih EV Olive Oil.

I also take Shelton ground turkey and make homemade sausage patties. I make a big batch at a time and flash freeze them. I can pull out as many as I need and I usually serve them with fresh fruit.

I like Applegate organic turkey bacon and serve it with fruit also. :)

gf4life Enthusiast
I see so many posts abotu the enviro kidz cereal.  Everyone of them brags it up.  Does anyone else's kids HATE it?  Mine can't stand it.  I can get them to take a bite,  but then they REFUSE to eat more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My kids ate the Enviro Kids cereal when they first went gluten-free, but they won't eat them anymore. They changed the Amazon Flakes last year and they have a tropical fruity flavor to them, before the change they tasted more like normal frosted corn flakes. They never liked the Panda Puffs or the Koala Krisp cereals. They did eat Gorilla Much for a while, but got tired of it and won't let me buy any more. They also got tired of Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles (and the Malt-O-Meal varieties of those), so we only get one box every once in a while.

They LOVE the Health Valley Rice Crunch'ems and Corn Crunch'ems. My oldest can't get enough of Perky's Nutty Rice (sort of like grapenuts, very crunchy tiny rice balls). We also buy the Erewhon rice cereals. They make Crispy Rice, Crispy Rice with Berries, and Rice Twice, which is a combo of crispy rice and puffed rice. They are not heavily sweetened either. For granola we use the Ener-G Toasted Granola.

Other things my kids eat for breakfast:

gluten-free toast, bagels, english muffins (all by Kinnikinnick)

fruit-usually fresh

sometimes juice or milk, but usually just water

gluten-free french toast (when I have time to make it)

pancakes (ditto on the time thing)

eggs (only my daughter)

bacon (occasionally)

Carnation Instant Breakfast shake (chocolate drink mix)**Note: Do not get the chocolate malt flavor and I'm not sure about the coffee flavored one. I only get the chocolate and vanilla powder mix.

God bless,

Mariann

Carriefaith Enthusiast
When I went gluten-free, and had to deal with hypoglycemica, I finally realized something? Why does everyone think that breakfast has to be bready/starchy stuff? I did too, for the longest of times,  (I don't remember exactly when I realized that, but man, it was a jaw dropping experience.)
:lol: lol Tiffany, that was hilarious! I eat carbs for breakfast because they sit longer in my stomach (I have a super fast metabolism and am starving by 10:30), but I know what you mean. lol
Guest Lucy

Thanks for the advice. I will look into those other cereals.

The reduced sugar brands of fruity pebbles are not really reduced at all. Look at the carbohydrate count. That is sugar. They just found a different way of labeling it. It is the EXACT same as regular fruity pebbles.

All carbohydrates are sugar. So if you want an exact count of how much sugar is in an item, look at the carb count, not the actual sugar listing. Manufactors get away with making you think that the new "low sugar" cereals are healthier, but they are not.

I am going to some other health food stores in town this weekend to find the other cereals.

Making waffles, pancakes are not an option for me in the morning. I have 3 kids 5 and under and school starts at 8:15. My diabetic son is usually low in the morning and has to eat right away. My baby needs to nurse, and my 5 year old has to get ready for school. ( I know, what was I thinking popping those kids out like that, no one ever told me it would be THIS hard....lol)

Waffles and Pancakes are for supper here. Donuts are never an option (due to diabetes,) I havn't been able to make a very edible muffin, and the kinnikinick ones are good, but expensive. (I stay home, budget very limited.) I will keep trying to find a good recipe.

Gosh this post is long, I'll stop now.

Merika Contributor
I like Healthy Valley...They have a cereal like Rice chex and Corn chex.  they are called Rice/Corn Crunch'ems.  And have you tried the Erehwon cereals--they have ones like rice krispies, plain, sweetened and one with berries.  I like them all...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? The only Erewhon rice puffs I've seen that are gluten-free are plain and clearly state "Gluten Free" on the front. The other ones have gluten. Are you sure?

Btw, me & ds (age 3) also hate Enviro- stuff. :)

Merika

Merika Contributor

Lucy,

I sometimes make pancakes in the middle of the day and refridgerate them for other breakfasts. I just got a griddle that goes over 2 burners so I can cook a bunch of them at once too.

Btw, the plain erewhon rice puffs are pretty good and have no sugar, I believe, and my ds loves them. :)

Merika

gf4life Enthusiast

I currently have the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice with mixed berries and the Rice Twice, and both boxes clearly say Gluten Free on the front of the box. I have only ever found cereals by them that are gluten free, didn't know they made anything else... :huh:

Okay, so I looked it up and they have an original Crispy Rice and a gluten free Crispy Rice. Here is a link to their full product line. Open Original Shared Link

At least they clearly label the gluten free ones. I know now to be careful about buying their cereal. I need to make sure I am buying the gluten-free variety...

Merika Contributor

Thanks for the clarification :) I had only seen the gluten versions and the one plain gluten-free version.

Merika

Archived