This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh. Don't Know What's Wrong With Me

Zipity

Zipity Newbie

32 yo female. Since about high school I've had a "bad" stomach. Had upper GI barium swallow and it was fine. Was told I have IBS. Later in life I attributed it to anxiety. Went to the doc for that and I've been on meds pretty much constantly since (except when I was pregnant, and once when I decided I didn't want to "depend" on meds) I go through periods of feeling fine and feeling like crap. I posted on here one other time asking if its possible to just be sensitive to gluten? I seem like I don't always get sick when eating gluten, that's why I'm not sure what's going on. I know I would have to get a test for it to be definitive.

I seem like I can eat bread ok sometimes, sometimes not. Pasta out of a box makes me sick for days, but frozen tortellini with cheese in it doesn't. I had barley soup for lunch today and by dinner was having cramps, and really bad diarrhea, that was pale in color and floated. I don't know if this could be gluten or something else. Maybe it is IBS? I seem to have some neuro symptoms, but maybe they're unrelated? I just don't know what to do so I thought I would ask here. Thanks for reading :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi Zipity, and welome back. :)

You don't mention if you have ever had celiac testing in the past, but my personal opinion is that no one shouold ever be diagnosed with IBS until they have had celiac testing, and not even then :unsure: because it is just a descripton of symptoms, not a diagnosis of what is causing your symptoms. If you have had no testing, I would start there, and I would insist to be tested, not ask timidly :ph34r:

I was like you, sometimes coujld eat gluten just fine - in fact pizza used to be my comfort food. It often depends on what the gluten is consumed with how you react. But you do need to have the blood panel drawn, and the full panel including EMA and the new DGP, and not just the tTG, and make sure they do a total serum IgA so that we know you produce normal quanitities of IgA antibodies. I would suggest getting the testing done and report back to us with your results (always be sure to get a copy of all test results from your doctor). It is possible your test results could be negative, but that would not necessarily mean that you do not have a problem with gluten, just not diagnosable celiac at this time.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

gosh yeah, sounds directly related to gluten to me. Try for Celiac testing, but yeah, your symptoms are totally consistent with Celiac/Gluten Intolerance. The neuro symptoms are consistent too. It is very common for symptoms to get worse and then better and sometimes you don't react at all. It is one of the reasons Celiac is so hard to diagnose. Keep considering whether gluten is a problem even if you test negative because that too is very common. The real proof is whether all of your symptoms go away on a strict gluten elimination for an extended period of time. I think you are on the right track to suspect it.

tina t Newbie

I have been having alot of the same problems, bloating and cramping after I eat. I can go from constiated to extreme diarhea in a matter of minutes. It seems to be alot more latly. By the way I'm 45 years old and this has been going on for awhile. I have been told its irritable bowel by the dr. I have not had any tests that I can remember (very bad memory also). My hair and nails are very brittle. I am anemic and take iron. I'm on depression meds. I take multi vitamins.I take vitamin D pills everyday. I have had joint pains since I was lil, I have had surgery when I was 11 months old for ruematoid arthritis. Ever since I was young I have had joint pain so bad I couldn't walk( I was told they were growing pains). I hurt my back in 1996 and have a cage in my back. I just want to know whats wrong with me and see if I can get this pain to stop!!! Help please.....

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh my gosh Tina. If you just found us...keep reading. You have a lot of symptoms of Celiac/Gluten Intolerance too. My nails were brittle and cuticles cracked and bled all my life. One year gluten free and my nails are strong and I have to actually cut them now. That is just one of the benefits of being gluten free. Many other rude, annoying and life destroying symptoms have disappeared. They might for you too! Consider getting tested...or just go ahead and go gluten free. You might feel so much better for the first time in your life. I know I did.

GFinDC Veteran

Oh yeah, get the blood antibodie tests done. And then try the diet for 3 or more months regardless of what the tests say. The tests are not perfect and are not reliable if you are already eating gluten-free. So don't start the gluten-free diet until after the tests are done. I get constipated after a glutening and then get the big D after a few days. It is a common reaction although they vary a lot too.

Celiac can cause many different symptoms. Some of us get joint pain, others get thyroid symptoms, skin issues, etc, etc. Lots of possible symptoms but one cure. gluten-free diet.

Archived