6 replies to this topic

#1 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I searched the forum but did not see any previous posts with this particular question.

My short question:

Is there a lab that will test FOOD for gluten?

My long question:

I am a self-diagnosed Celiac via diet (bloodwork was negative and I did not have a scope run before going gluten-free - LONG story, involving some BAD doctors!). My illness began way back in May of 2009. In ignorance I went "sorta" gluten-free just over a year ago, and then got extremely strict with other foods and stopped eating out completely about two months ago. I've been feeling MUCH better, too. The only grain I've eaten is rice. No dairy, soy, nuts, not even ready-made cereals like Chex. It's mostly just been meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes, and eggs. Whole foods.

Earlier this week, my husband bought me some Food for Life gluten-free English Muffins. I ate one Monday night and was horribly sick on Tuesday and Wednesday. Just today I am starting to feel better. I Googled and searched this forum for info about Food for Life and was not thrilled with what I found.

This may be a crazy idea, but I was thinking that if I could have one of the remaining muffins tested, and it contained gluten, I'd have a definite answer.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

You can buy test strips. They are about $12/each. E Z Gluten I believe is the name. We got them when trying to figure out something hiding with DS's diet.

#3 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

There is a kit you can buy called EZ gluten. You should be able to google it because I am not sure the following link will post. http://www.ezgluten.com/

I tried it on something I knew was gluten free and something I knew contained gluten and it gave me the appropriate responses. Kind of a cool idea I think. Others may have different experiences with this kit - I haven't used it too much. This was you can test whatever you want, whenever you want. :) Hope this helps!!
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#4 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Oh my goodness! That is so awesome. Thanks! I didn't think it would be that easy. I don't want to go after the company or anything. I just thought it might be a way to further confirm in my mind that I have Celiac.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

If you buy the test strips and get an interesting result, please let us know. I agree about not trying to sue the company or anything, but you might save other people around the forum some misery if you do find gluten.

#6 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

glutentox is from spain:
http://glutentox.wordpress.com/
aimed at the U.S.market
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Tricia Thompson at Gluten Free Watchdog has tested some Food For Life products.
http://www.glutenfre...g/blog.php?id=7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: