This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Lab That Tests Food?

Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof Apprentice

I searched the forum but did not see any previous posts with this particular question.

My short question:

Is there a lab that will test FOOD for gluten?

My long question:

I am a self-diagnosed Celiac via diet (bloodwork was negative and I did not have a scope run before going gluten-free - LONG story, involving some BAD doctors!). My illness began way back in May of 2009. In ignorance I went "sorta" gluten-free just over a year ago, and then got extremely strict with other foods and stopped eating out completely about two months ago. I've been feeling MUCH better, too. The only grain I've eaten is rice. No dairy, soy, nuts, not even ready-made cereals like Chex. It's mostly just been meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes, and eggs. Whole foods.

Earlier this week, my husband bought me some Food for Life gluten-free English Muffins. I ate one Monday night and was horribly sick on Tuesday and Wednesday. Just today I am starting to feel better. I Googled and searched this forum for info about Food for Life and was not thrilled with what I found.

This may be a crazy idea, but I was thinking that if I could have one of the remaining muffins tested, and it contained gluten, I'd have a definite answer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

You can buy test strips. They are about $12/each. E Z Gluten I believe is the name. We got them when trying to figure out something hiding with DS's diet.

tictax707 Apprentice

There is a kit you can buy called EZ gluten. You should be able to google it because I am not sure the following link will post. Open Original Shared Link

I tried it on something I knew was gluten free and something I knew contained gluten and it gave me the appropriate responses. Kind of a cool idea I think. Others may have different experiences with this kit - I haven't used it too much. This was you can test whatever you want, whenever you want. :) Hope this helps!!

Ox on the Roof Apprentice

Oh my goodness! That is so awesome. Thanks! I didn't think it would be that easy. I don't want to go after the company or anything. I just thought it might be a way to further confirm in my mind that I have Celiac.

Skylark Collaborator

If you buy the test strips and get an interesting result, please let us know. I agree about not trying to sue the company or anything, but you might save other people around the forum some misery if you do find gluten.

nora-n Rookie

glutentox is from spain:

Open Original Shared Link

aimed at the U.S.market

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Tricia Thompson at Gluten Free Watchdog has tested some Food For Life products.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived