Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bulk Barn - Ontario

6 posts in this topic

For a recent family lunch, a cousin of mine went to bulk barn, saw some gluten free all purpose flour and decided "oh, I'll make Becky some gluten free bread for our lunch!". Which she was going to go home and make in her bread maker, where she makes her regular bread every day! (I have since educated her on cross contamination from bread machines)

But then she emailed me and said that her bread maker's user guide suggested that she would need some xanthan gum, so she went back to the Bulk Barn and saw the price of it and said "nope, Becky can make her own bread!" So, she gave me the bag of bulk gluten free all purpose flour. Which I am deathly afraid of! I have avoided the Bulk Barn entirely since my diagnosis!

Has anyone used the gluten-free bulk products from the Bulk Barn and been ok? Or should I just give it to someone who isn't afraid of it? (plus, I'm also a low-carber, so not only does the cross contamination issue scare me, but the carb count of these flours is frightening!)

Ads by Google:

Bulk Barn is a chain of franchised outlets. They have a lot of gluten-free products, some packaged, some in bulk. Unfortunately, without knowing the exact location where the purchase was made, the safety can not be judged.

I was in one recently, and all of the gluten-free flours were together in a section which contained nothing else, and which was at the front of the store separated from everything else. But, I have been in other locations where that was not true. The layout and awareness level varies.

We were actually looking for chickpea flour, but did not buy any because it was in the general flour section close to the barley. :angry:

I am very sensitive and have tried my local bulk barn and it's been fine. I go to the one at Gloucester Shopping Centre, or South Keys Ottawa. All the gluten-free stuff is on the opposite side of the store from gluten stuff near the front. I have only bought the bulk stuff because I am staying away from packaged for now. I really like their pancake blend.

It's much cheaper that anywhere else I can find.

Maybe you can find out which store?

My Bulk Barn has all the flours in the same section with the gluten-free ones marked as such. I once bought the gluten-free cornbread mix from the bulk bin and it did upset my belly, but to be fair, lots of gluten-free grains/breads don't agree with me. My mom was told to stay away from the bulk bins as cc was an issue. I'd give the flour away or just throw it out.

I don't know which store she bought it in, I will have to ask her. The only Bulk Barn I've been in since diagnosis had the gluten free flours directly UNDER the gluteny flours, with a shared! scoop! so I've just avoided them all for fear of cross contamination.

ok, she said she got the flour at the BB in Quinte, and that the gluten-free section is entirely removed from the regular gluteny section.

I feel a little bit better, but I still think I will give it to my Celiac friend who isn't afraid of carbs ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Yes it most certainly could be a false negative, and I would bet you a dozen donuts that it is (gluten free, of course.   )  At the very least you can be sure it is related to gluten.  These gluten rashes take forever to clear up.  I don't know about you, but whenever I start to doubt my gluten intolerance, I just look at my skin, and the old blood stains on my sheets, and I am reassured that it's not all in my head, and I need to avoid gluten as if it were a bucket of battery acid.
    • Hello, My fiance and I are going to Singapore for our honeymoon next year and I was wondering if anyone knew any cafes/restaurants etc that have gluten-free dishes? We previously went two years ago and enjoyed ourselves so much that we definitely wanted to go back our our honeymoon. Catch is I got diagnosed as being gluten intolerant a few months ago, negative for Coeliac though. If I eat gluten I have bad nausea, bloating, diarrhea etc. Not pretty for a honeymoon :-) I am more than happy to eat fruit at breakfast and make do with steamed rice at dinner etc but if anyone has any ideas on anywhere I can safely eat that would be much appreciated. I don't care how much it costs! Also is it possible for me to bring packaged gluten-free food into Singapore from Australia? I am not sure on the rules. Thank you!!
    • Went in and talked to the manager of our pm and asked about the gluten free pizza, and he told me he can't guarantee its 100% gluten free because of the flour in the air from the other crusts being made.  I value the honesty.   The other employee also mentioned changing gloves.   I was thinking wow great, until I walked out and got to thinking about cross contamination from everyone grabbing the toppings out of the same bins and spreading the sauce with the same utensils.    My son was just diagnosed this week so we are new to the whole lifestyle.   So any help or info is greatly appreciated.    Thanks  
    • Before i was diagnosed 2 years ago i had a severe chronic itchy scalp.  It would develop minor pimple like blisters then turn in to sores from the intense scratching.  At the time the dr i saw did a punch biopsy on the original sore, it came back with a florescent pattern and micro abcessing.  i saw a dermatologist who said it was a staph infection (wasn't checking for dh) sent me home with cream and a steroid lotion, didnt work. Shortly after i was diagnosed with celiac and went back to the dermatologist.  He did a punch biopsy BUT he took it from the top of my butt cheek saying that was the most common spot for dh to manifest.  My results were negative.   my question is...   Can this be a false negative due to the punch biopsy not being taken from skin adjacent to the lesions? since being gluten free the intensity has subsided but is still there.
    • Hi Morna.  I will have to add Tom and Chee's to my list.  I have found so many new restaurants on this forum.  My family's birthday season is coming up (I swear, everyone was born between September-December), so I am going to have to check out the bakery on Campbell Station.  Sneak in some gluten-free cake and goodies and see if anyone notices.  I miss cake.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kimmieellis