This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New And Looking For Advice

agemme12

agemme12 Rookie

Hi Everyone. So I'm a mom of 2 and wife ..going to be 27 in a few weeks. I have always had anemia and fast metabolism growing up so never thought anything of my weight. I had 2 pregnancies back to back and after the second 1 lost weight so fast ...i knew something was wrong because i was not working out and eating all day long. I grew up basically on pastas and breads. Anyway between december and may of 2011 i lost 18pounds. I thought i was just depressed because my mother passed away a year ago while i was pregnant with my second child which emotionally altered my life. I still am losing. Had an endoscopy in december and it was confirmed i have the severe case of the endoscopy. the small intestine is so damaged they said i need to go gluten to lower my chances of intestinal cancer by time im 30. This was 2 days before christmas when i was hosting the holiday dinner with tons of italian food.

ANyway i am so overwhelmed. I thought to myself i can handle this ..so many people out there have it much worse. I can deal with the food but then i found out that daily products like make up lotion shampoo all have gluten in it or as they state may have been cross contaminated. i don't want to take any chances but im having a hard time coping with this. I am allergic to dove, olay and netragina products, cover girl and maybeline. I use gain detergent, crest toothpaste, mary kay makeup, jergens lotion and eucerin cream and herbel essence. does anyone know if these products officially have gluten in it and can anyone find a list to help make things a little easier. With 2 kids under 2 and this new change i feel as though i need support. I dont have much family to talk to aside of my husband.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

You can handle this.

Start with the food, and then worry about shampoos and stuff. I've found that it's the pricier products that tend to have gluten and the cheap stuff is mostly chemicals. If you are ready to look at products, post the exact name of what you are using, and people will either help you find the website, or help you find a phone number to call the company and ask.

deltron80 Rookie

pick the low-hanging fruit first...stop eating giant wads of gluten...then worry about trace amounts later B)

agemme12 Rookie

Thanks! I am doing well with food so far. Maybe had a few slip ups when my kids ate a cookie i would grab one. ANyway i definitely would like to look at products. I am concerned about the following. I am already allergic to many lotions and shampoos so wanted to find out about the following:

Petite womens one a day daily vitamin

Jergen's lotion (all kids)

Herbel essence color me happy shampoo and conidtioner

I know that list seems so lame to even check but i guess i would rather know now if its harming me for some reason and move on to things i can use. I have been gluten free for almost 2 weeks now and I admit its tough. I am reading elizabeth hassleback's the gluten free diet which is very informative.

sora Community Regular

Thanks! I am doing well with food so far. Maybe had a few slip ups when my kids ate a cookie i would grab one. ANyway i definitely would like to look at products. I am concerned about the following. I am already allergic to many lotions and shampoos so wanted to find out about the following:

Petite womens one a day daily vitamin

Jergen's lotion (all kids)

Herbel essence color me happy shampoo and conidtioner

I know that list seems so lame to even check but i guess i would rather know now if its harming me for some reason and move on to things i can use. I have been gluten free for almost 2 weeks now and I admit its tough. I am reading elizabeth hassleback's the gluten free diet which is very informative.

The best thing to do is look on the bottles and you will find a 1-800 number. Call and ask.

You can do a search at the top of this forum and a google search. Always check the date of the info it could be years old and companies change their formulas.

I am allergic to wheat and very sensitive. I use Jergens lotion with no problems. I am now using Garnier Fructus Pure shampoo and conditioner. It's gluten-free and free of a bunch of other nasty stuff too.

Check each product, sometimes a shampoo will be gluten-free but the conditioner won't.

It's a bit of work sometimes but it is a positive step forward. :)

Good luck.

Jestgar Rising Star

I found the ingredients for the herbal essence products on Amazon, and I don't see any gluten ingredients. The one-a=day site lists their ingredients Open Original Shared Link so you can find your product specifically, or call the company.

Metoo Enthusiast

Hi Everyone. So I'm a mom of 2 and wife ..going to be 27 in a few weeks. I have always had anemia and fast metabolism growing up so never thought anything of my weight. I had 2 pregnancies back to back and after the second 1 lost weight so fast ...i knew something was wrong because i was not working out and eating all day long. I grew up basically on pastas and breads. Anyway between december and may of 2011 i lost 18pounds. I thought i was just depressed because my mother passed away a year ago while i was pregnant with my second child which emotionally altered my life. I still am losing. Had an endoscopy in december and it was confirmed i have the severe case of the endoscopy. the small intestine is so damaged they said i need to go gluten to lower my chances of intestinal cancer by time im 30. This was 2 days before christmas when i was hosting the holiday dinner with tons of italian food.

ANyway i am so overwhelmed. I thought to myself i can handle this ..so many people out there have it much worse. I can deal with the food but then i found out that daily products like make up lotion shampoo all have gluten in it or as they state may have been cross contaminated. i don't want to take any chances but im having a hard time coping with this. I am allergic to dove, olay and netragina products, cover girl and maybeline. I use gain detergent, crest toothpaste, mary kay makeup, jergens lotion and eucerin cream and herbel essence. does anyone know if these products officially have gluten in it and can anyone find a list to help make things a little easier. With 2 kids under 2 and this new change i feel as though i need support. I dont have much family to talk to aside of my husband.

I just want to say, that I feel for you! I have 2 kids within 12 months, and in the meantime before my oldest was 2 my Mother in Law passed away. I am sure this is an extremely stressful time for you to top it off with a celiac diagnosis.

I will say that my kids are 4 and 5 now, by the time my oldest was 3.5 things get so much easier.

I have switched to Dr. Bronners soap for shampoo and Burt Bees moisturizers because I was having problems with my skin burn/itching after going gluten free diet wise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

agemme12 Rookie

Thank you for the info. I have noticed after being gluten free my skin has been more dry even after lotion and been more itchy as well. I guess once you go gluten-free you become more sensitive to things like that.

Archived