arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Pls Tell Me Your Favorite gluten-free Products!

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#16 shayre

shayre

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

It is not mandatory for you to eat a 100% whole foods diet initially when diagnosed. I was as sick as sick gets with this disease at diagnosis and weighed 97 pounds, soaking wet. I always ate a lot of unprocessed foods and continued to do so after diagnosis but I needed to gain weight. You don't gain weight easily on a whole foods diet. So I ate gluten-free bread and tolerated it well...it was like I was always supposed to eat that way. After a few weeks, I made some gluten-free brownies and tolerated those well also. I admit I am a fast healer and the only other intolerance I have is dairy.

If you want to try something, go ahead and try it. If it doesn't agree with you, then don't eat it again for awhile. Whatever you do, do not fear food.
There's too much of that going around. If something does not agree with you, it isn't always because of gluten. Just try and stick to dedicated facilities at first until you start feeling better. You will find that you have to eat calorie dense foods or you won't gain weight easily and those aren't the unprocessed ones! Nothing wrong with a good gluten-free brownie! Enjoy!

I agree, I did just make gluten free brownies from Better Crocker for my hubby's bday. While I had some gut upset...I did not get glutened. Hurray! Yeah, Bob's Red Mill...I don't know why...buy I steadily go downhill on anything that they make. Nature's Path seemed ok sometimes, but then I think that it depends on the batch for me. They only test to 20ppm. I also agree that company testing doesn't mean that there is that much in it, but I still have to "play it very safe". I don't want to get "whammied" with random batches...and I definitely have. Good luck to you:)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

If you include cutting up celery and carrots into sticks as "processed", then those can be very convenient and portable snacks. Celery is good also because it is one of the more alkalinizing vegetables. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds are good snacks also if you can tolerate them...
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#18 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

I do nibble on celery & carrots but those won't help me gain weight. I am currently avoiding nuts & seeds as I seem to react to them right now...

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I do nibble on celery & carrots but those won't help me gain weight. I am currently avoiding nuts & seeds as I seem to react to them right now...

Get some Pamela's baking mixes (hers is a dedicated factory) and buy some Enjoy Life chocolate chips and make some cookies or muffins.

(Use an egg substitute if you can't do the eggs.)

There are substitutes for most everything in baking, so if you get stuck, we can help! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Irishheart :)

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Irishheart :)

You bet, hon. :)

It was the good people like GEMINI and RAVENWOODGLASS and SYLVIA and PSAWYER and KARENG among others--who told me in the beginning that it was okay to try safe, gluten-free packaged stuff, too--along with my mostly pure, whole foods diet-- as I was healing. I was so emaciated and had lost major muscle mass and seemingly everything made me feel sick for the LONGEST time after DX :( and I worried if I would ever tolerate anything ever again. (I was a slow healer--but I am older than you and I was sick for a long time.)

I always tell the newly DXed--do not fear food. :) If something does not agree with you, avoid it for a while and come back to it.

Healing takes time, but you'll get there. I promise!
Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#22 norcal_gf

norcal_gf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

I love many of the gluten-free snacks from Glutino - my favorite is the Yogurt Covered Pretzels! Yum. Also love their Table Crackers (like a saltine cracker). I tried Amy's Mac & Cheese recently and I had a horrible reaction - never again! Something in the artificial cheese - I usually make everything from scratch - but the one time I got lazy and ate something out of a box - and it got me good. I also like Pam's mixes - especially her corn bread one - I make a mexican casserole with it. And Pam's cookies are pretty good... but that's about all the gluten-free snacks I buy - I try to make my own or be good and eat fruit or make a smoothie.

#23 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:21 AM

I cannot do nuts or soy and I try to stay away from corn. Although, I can eat some home made popcorn without problems.

I was whole foods for over 6 months and started adding a few things in two months ago.

My lasted find and love is Crunchmasters 7th Ancient Grain Cracker!!!! No nuts, soy or corn! The lightly salted is also dairy free.

My junk food of choice is CapeCod Kettle chips, they have gluten-free listed on the bag and I've never had a problem with the regular chips or salt and vinegar. I love them with humus!

I don't eat much gluten-free replacement foods Udi hotdog buns and these crackers.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

My junk food of choice is CapeCod Kettle chips, they have gluten-free listed on the bag and I've never had a problem with the regular chips or salt and vinegar.

mmmm.. I admit it---I like the Cape Codders too!:)
Forgot to mention those!
That is all they make in that little factory, so I feel pretty confident they are about as gluten-free as it gets!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

mmmm.. I admit it---I like the Cape Codders too!:)
Forgot to mention those!
That is all they make in that little factory, so I feel pretty confident they are about as gluten-free as it gets!

I like the chips way too much IrishHeart! :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

I like the chips way too much IrishHeart! :)

Hubs and I can plow through a jumbo bag in no time :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

I was a huge snacker, prior to October. I don't eat a traditional breakfast or lunch never did, loved my cookies and milk late night. We always have done whole foods for dinner and still continue. Most nights I'll skip the starch and make double vegetable and a salad with the protein. Milk is still an issue, so no more cookies and milk late night, also means no cream sauces.

I do enjoy Wise potato chip @ night. My deck draw is filled with chex's all kinds, pretzel sticks, crackers, shortbread cookies, dried cranberries, glazed nuts.

I have had Gluten Free Pantry, Brownies with added coconut oil (an added fat), and 1-2-3 Gluten Free Pan Bars, these were made for me. They can add the extra calories and fat your looking for. Good luck searching, try and stick to the whole foods and ones higher in fat and calorie content. They should help you with the weight gain.

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Milk is still an issue, so no more cookies and milk late night, also means no cream sauces.

Have you not tried the almond or hemp milks? They are delicious :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Milk is still an issue, so no more cookies and milk late night, also means no cream sauces.

Try some So Delicious Coconut milk. In the dairy section. Red Carton. Delicious with your cookies or cereal and works well in recipes and has tons of calcium. They make "ice cream" too! gluten-free, DF, and SF!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Oh I should not be reading these posts on an empty stomach! I am so hungry and can't decide if I'm craving crunchy salty chips or brownies more! !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: