25 replies to this topic

#1 PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

I was wondering if some detergents have gluten in them. If they do, do they cause a reaction?
lisa mccorkell
diagnosed on May 31, 2005
orange county, california

"Laziness will cause you pain." (Unknown)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

I use Seventh Generation or Arm and Hammer detergents.
They are both gluten free. I personally get problems with certain kinds of detergents so I stick with those two brands.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Great! Thanks! :D Do you know if All is gluten-free??
lisa mccorkell
diagnosed on May 31, 2005
orange county, california

"Laziness will cause you pain." (Unknown)

#4 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

I actually just called Arm and Hammer today about their detergents and got quite an equivocal answer--they cannot guarantee that their detergents are gluten free, so I switched to Purex Free and Clear because they were adamant that their detergent is completely gluten free. It may seem over the top to worry about detergent--I can't be certain that it causes a reaction, but I am a stomach sleeper, so who knows how many times I've inadvertently slobbered my pillow in the middle of the night. :P
Diagnosed July 2004

#5 Guest_Educator_*

Guest_Educator_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:36 AM

I contacted Arm & Hammer and they said there was possible cross-contamination in their laundry detergent. I broke out in sever dermatitis herpetiformis. Changed to Fab but they will not contact me back regarding this issue. I will change now to Purex Free & Clear and they say NO GLUTEN.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

I have definately reacted to laundry detergents. It may not have always been gluten, but something in the perfumes, etc. Thanks for the info about Arm and Hammer! I use Purex Free and Clear, also, and have no more "itchies" :) If necessary, I also have used All Free and Clear, which is also good.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

My Tide with Downy was making me break out in hives, and it took more than a month to figure it out! I use All free & clear now and am very happy with it.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

My Tide with Downy was making me break out in hives, and it took more than a month to figure it out! I use All free & clear now and am very happy with it.

I look at comercials for the Tide w/Downy, or some of the new detergents scented with lavendar and think it would be nice to be able to use those :rolleyes: , but I don't dare <_< I'm actually using the All F&C now, as sometimes the stores here don't stock the Purex one.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

All Free and Clear is great! We found a genric thats "free and clear" too, alot cheaper but need find out if its gluten-free still. Since my son does not have DH we do not worry as much about it.

- Vincent -

#10 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

I look at comercials for the Tide w/Downy, or some of the new detergents scented with lavendar and think it would be nice to be able to use those :rolleyes: , but I don't dare <_< I'm actually using the All F&C now, as sometimes the stores here don't stock the Purex one.

Patti--
I don't know, maybe this would bother you too...but 7th Generation (what we use) has a lavender scented high efficieny detergent...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#11 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Speaking of detergents, does anyone have any suggestions for non-irritating fabric softeners? I'm almost sure that Bounce causes me some problems, but I live in such a dry climate that I need *something* to control static cling from the dryer.

Jeanne

#12 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:17 AM

Speaking of detergents, does anyone have any suggestions for non-irritating fabric softeners? I'm almost sure that Bounce causes me some problems, but I live in such a dry climate that I need *something* to control static cling from the dryer.
Jeanne

I think it would be worth trying some of the more 'natural' laundry products. We use 7th generation and it works great. You could ck out their fabric softner: http://www.seventhge...c_softener.html

Ecover is also a good brand. I really like their stain stick: http://www.ecover.co...ain Remover.htm
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#13 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

Tide has always made me break out in a rash since I was a little kid!

Era is the only detergent that doesn't seem to bother anyone in the house. I've tried several, and each one has made someone break out in a rash. I guess it's not always related to gluten!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#14 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I think it would be worth trying some of the more 'natural' laundry products. We use 7th generation and it works great. You could ck out their fabric softner: http://www.seventhge...c_softener.html

Ecover is also a good brand. I really like their stain stick: http://www.ecover.co...ain Remover.htm

Thanks for the links; I'll check those out!

I did notice that the 7th generation one is mostly soy. I'm pretty sure I have a soy intolerance (still trying to figure this one out); should I worry about that in a fabric softener?

Jeanne

#15 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the links; I'll check those out!

I did notice that the 7th generation one is mostly soy. I'm pretty sure I have a soy intolerance (still trying to figure this one out); should I worry about that in a fabric softener?
Jeanne

If it isn't a skin issue I wouldn't worry about it personally. I do not use anything with gluten in it of course...but I might use a product that had milk protein in it on my skin, as I have a dairy intolerance.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: