This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tested For Celiac

erinmom

erinmom Newbie

My 21 month daughter was tested yesterday for Celiac yesterday, how does it take for the blood work to come back? Also if it came back that she indeed do have it, what would be the next step? I am so worried thats all that I keep thinking about! Was it hard to cope with this disease? Was it easy to transit to eat gluten free and find food that toddlers like? HELP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaity Apprentice

i just started my son with a gluten free diet less than a week ago too, he just turned three on friday, it is easy most of the time since he loves rice, so i cook everything with rice beside it, for example when i do hamberger i would cook rice next to it and cut the meat into bite size pieces and place them ontop the rice and let him eat it, my son hates the gluten free buns, i got him gluten free bread that he likes, along with gluten free cookies that he loves, the only time that i feel so sorry for him is when my husband gets them chips or cake or something that contains gluten or lactose because he still didnt get used to the idea of him having celiac, so i have to hide them, but it breaks my heart when he wants a cupcake and he cant get it, he is still too young to understand that he cant eat cake or cookies or rice pudding because it hurts him.... what where your daughter's symptoms????

Skylark Collaborator

My 21 month daughter was tested yesterday for Celiac yesterday, how does it take for the blood work to come back? Also if it came back that she indeed do have it, what would be the next step? I am so worried thats all that I keep thinking about! Was it hard to cope with this disease? Was it easy to transit to eat gluten free and find food that toddlers like? HELP

It can take as long as a week depending on the lab. The next step if she has celiac is sometimes an endoscopy, sometimes a trial of the diet without. It depends on your pediatrician.

Don't panic about the diet. I couldn't eat wheat as a toddler. Rice Chex are good for snacking, or Honey Rice Puffins. Glutino makes great gluten-free pretzels, though they are a little pricey. They also make a cracker that tastes a lot like Ritz. I also ate rice cakes. My nephews both liked rice cakes with a little jelly when I came to visit. I really liked Cream of Rice as a kid and you can try grits or Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. I ate a LOT of Tater Tots and frozen french fries. Heinz ketchup is gluten-free too if she's a ketchup fiend. I ate plain old rice too. You can make her Betty Crocker gluten-free cupcakes for special occasions, or Rice Krispie treats out of the new gluten-free wholegrain Rice Krispies.

erinmom Newbie

thanks so much yall, and kaity her sympotoms were lately she was GASSY, not hardly eating, would only sleep with me holding her sitting up as her stomach was hurting, vomiting alot lately, very thirsy and not gaining weight she is in the 7th percentile for her weight where she was in the 95th earlier! I will be looking for some of the food mentioned the small town stores will not carry some of the gluten free food so I will go to a big town and look thanks!

M0Mto3 Rookie

My LO is 18 months old. She also had similar symptoms to your LO, including the huge drop in weight %ages. I would not discount gluten even if the test comes back negative. We know that gluten is my daughter's issue and her bloodwork is negative. She is a totally different baby without gluten. She also reacts pretty violently now when she does get exposed to gluten.

She loves to eat gluten free chicken nuggets (from Wegman's), hot dogs, Annie's Mac & Cheese, fruity pebbles, honey nut chex, those pureed fruit pouches, yogurt, toast (from gluten-free bread), lunchmeat, cheese. She tends to be a picky eater, but there are several foods we know that she will eat. At 20lbs we give her whatever we think she will eat. It took some time for us to know what we could feed her, but now it comes pretty easily. I keep a lunch bag of food with me where ever we go just in case.

Let us know how everything turns out!

Aly1 Contributor

You mention that you live in a small town that maybe won't have all the gluten-free products you're looking for. Just an FYI that (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) carries a lot of gluten-free things and often in bulk so you can save money on the things you know you like. Good luck!

Aly1 Contributor

Wow, I can't believe my freedom of speech was just violated (yes that's being dramatic :) ) I don't think it's right to remove a company from a post because you don't like their business practices, it's a little offensive. So in protest I will leave a hint about the company because the point of these forums is to HELP one another by providing useful information! The site starts with an A, ends with an N and has a Z in the middle. Hope you are familiar enough with the name that you get it. And hope I don't find myself deleted for doing that but I think the practice of wiping out the company name in my comment - a legitimate well-known company that could provide a useful service to gluten-free people in need - is pretty offensive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Wow, I can't believe my freedom of speech was just violated (yes that's being dramatic :) ) I don't think it's right to remove a company from a post because you don't like their business practices, it's a little offensive. So in protest I will leave a hint about the company because the point of these forums is to HELP one another by providing useful information! The site starts with an A, ends with an N and has a Z in the middle. Hope you are familiar enough with the name that you get it. And hope I don't find myself deleted for doing that but I think the practice of wiping out the company name in my comment - a legitimate well-known company that could provide a useful service to gluten-free people in need - is pretty offensive.

Aly, if a company has spammed the forum, they get banned.

Aly1 Contributor

What does it mean to say a company has spammed the forum? Not that I want to linger on the subject bc I don't want to hijack someone's thread...

mushroom Proficient

What does it mean to say a company has spammed the forum? Not that I want to linger on the subject bc I don't want to hijack someone's thread...

Wiki gives this definition of spam:

Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately.

ETA: The board uses this system to week out indiscriminate spammers and not allow them to profit from littering the board with advertising messages. It is not intended to censor your post and you can always just say you can order it from the south american river or put spaces like a m a z o n. :D Overrides the filter.

Skylark Collaborator

Board mods have said that some companies market so aggressively that they run bots to pick up mention of their name. The bot makes a bunch of advertising posts the moderators have to block, which adds a lot of work for them. They decided to automatically filter the names of those companies rather than deal with having to block hundreds of advertisements by hand.

You can also mail order food from Gluten-Free Mall at Open Original Shared Link who sponsors this board. I don't know how the prices compare because I'm fortunate enough to live in a city where gluten-free food is easy to find.

Aly1 Contributor

Okay now I totally get it. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Archived