This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hearing The Tv?

PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect Explorer

Okay, I know this may sound weird, and it probably has nothing to do with Celiac... but... I hear the T.V. on even when there is no sound. Like if I am upstairs and say the T.V. downstairs is on input or something like that so no sound is coming out, I get a ringing sound in my ear. It is really weird. I told my family and they think that I am crazy :rolleyes: but then again maybe I am. :D Does anyone else get this??? (even if its not associated with Celiac)

B)

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

OH MY GOD!!! YOU TOO????

I though I was losing my mind!!!! With me having collagenous colitis, which is quite nocturnal, I am usually up from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. My bowels wake me up around 2 and it doesn't usually settle down until 5 or 6 a.m.

I always lay down on the couch in the living room to use the downstairs bathroom so I don't wake anybody up. Well, when I am laying there, I swear I can hear the TV downstairs in the basement. More than one occasion I have gone down there to see if hubby has accidently left it on or something, but nope, total silence down there.

I was beginning to think my house was haunted by ghosts who like to watch the tube while everyone else was sleeping!!!!

I can't believe someone else experiences this..........

Thank you for re-inforcing my faith in my sanity!!!

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

NO WAY!!!!!

THAT HAPPENS TO ME 2!!!!!1

We also have little things we plug into the wall to scare off rodents and insects well I hear that noise too. They told me I have super sensitive ears.

PicturePerfect Explorer

OMG!! That is SOOOO WEIRD!!

At least I am not alone!! :D Thank YOU for re-inforcing MY faith in MY sanity! LOL

It's kinda cool though because I feel like I have a superpower.

Like the other night I came home from vacation and I heard that the T.V. was on so I told my parents. Sure enough it was! And if someone forgets to turn it off, like if they have a cable box or something that doesn't need to turn the T.V. off, I "save them". ;)

Well, now I am VERY glad that someone else has it too!

PicturePerfect Explorer

WOW!!! Maybe it is connected with Celiac.. you never know. :huh:

I am SOO glad that I made this topic!!! :D

Oh and I can hear the rodent things too! We have some in the backyard!

:D

Lisa

Mine seems to be a touch different than yours.....

When I am laying there, I literally hear the dull drone of a TV show actually being on. It's like the very faint distant drone of talking, exactly the same sound as when hubby is down there watching TV while I'm up here on the computer......

Maybe my faith is not so re-inforced now......... :huh:

Karen

PicturePerfect Explorer

When I am laying there, I literally hear the dull drone of a TV show actually being on.  It's like the very faint distant drone of talking, exactly the same sound as when hubby is down there watching TV while I'm up here on the computer......

Maybe my faith is not so re-inforced now.........  :huh:

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.. thats kind-of scary.

Don't worry.. I'm sure it is the same type of concept or whatever. :)

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oh well, I guess I should be thankful that the ghosts don't crank the volume up..... :(;)

Karen

PicturePerfect Explorer
Oh well, I guess I should be thankful that the ghosts don't crank the volume up..... :(  ;)

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should be very thankful ;)

Lisa

Yeah, they could have been ghosts who like MTV......... :lol:

Karen

celiac3270 Collaborator
Yeah, they could have been ghosts who like MTV......... :lol:

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol :lol:

tarnalberry Community Regular

Actually, I think you're just hearing the electrical "whine" that comes out of the TV. All electronic equipment produces noise as long as it's on, due to the power flow through the circuits. In some appliances, it's louder than others; in some, the frequency is different than others. If you happen to be particularly sensitive to picking up a particular frequency, you may hear it much better than other people. (This is true for me particularly with our power subwoofer in our entertainment center. It pretty much stays on all the time because it's not annoying, but I can here it if I walk by. And it's only somewhat of a conscious "hearing". Weird "feeling", but normal.)

(Credit to lots of conversations with my brother in law for understanding all sorts of acoustic/auditory tidbits of information.)

PicturePerfect Explorer

Oh! That makes sense. That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for making me feel not crazy! :D Now I can just tell everyone that I have sensitive ears!

Lisa

skbird Contributor

When we were kids, my brother used to test me on this - he'd turn the contrast on the tv so it was black and the volume down, and then ask if the tv was on or not (I'd leave the room). I could always tell. I can tell when a monitor or tv is on but no signal in any room in the house. It feels like being psychic but I know it's the sound.

When I was in physics in high school, our teacher tested us with sounds of different frequencies and this one other kid (named Steve, funny, because I'm Stephanie) and I were the only two who could hear the frequency that supposedly, only gerbils could hear.

Funny to read this thread!

Stephanie

ianm Apprentice

I am very sensitive to electrical fields. This doesn't cause any problems but I can "feel" when a TV gets turned on in another room of the house even when I can't hear it. I can also "feel" where hidden electrical lines are like behind a wall for example. It is probably just a heightened sensitivity to certain frequencies created by electrical fields.

Okay, I think we need to start a group........

Maybe call ourselves.......

"The Radio Heads"

or

"The Freequen See'ers"

:P;)

Karen

gf4life Enthusiast

When I am laying there, I literally hear the dull drone of a TV show actually being on. It's like the very faint distant drone of talking, exactly the same sound as when hubby is down there watching TV while I'm up here on the computer......

Maybe my faith is not so re-inforced now......... huh.gif

Karen

Karen, I get this too. I also get the other electric noise everyone else is talking about. But when I am lying in my bed reading at night and the rest of the house is quiet, I can hear conversations and music and such. There have been times where I have gotten up to check to see if the TV was left on (it never has been the TV).

I think some of it might be my neighbors. Their house and bedroom walls are about 12 feet from my bedroom wall. In the daytime I can sometimes hear the teenager's music up a bit too loud, so I figure some of the noise is that. But not ALL of it. Even when they aren't home I sometimes hear it! Do you have neighbors close by?

I have always had sensitive ears. Loud noises hurt and I can hear things many others can't. My kids don't seem to realise this and when they are having "private" conversations in the other room I can hear them! It kinda comes in handy sometimes... :D It isn't really eaves dropping, I'm not TRYING to hear their conversations. But I've caught them doing some interesting things that way.

I also have a sensitive nose. I smelled gas in my kitchen one time and called the gas company. The guy comes out and says he doesn't smell anything. I make him check the stove anyhow, and he had to get his little meter thing all the way down to touching the gas pipe and there was a tiny little leak. He couldn't believe I could smell it! Now anytime I smell gas at a friends house I tell them to call the gas company! I am extremely sensitive to perfumes and chemical scents too. They give me headaches.

Oh yeah and sensitive eyes. Bright lights and flashing lights bring on instant headaches, that will turn in to migraines if the source isn't stopped. No disco balls for me thanks! :P There are times when driving is hard because the light flashes through the trees and makes me crazy. My eye doctor told me that it is an actual condition and bright/flashing lights should try tp be avoided. I wear sunglasses all the time outdoors and (if I am not the driver) I even wear them at night because the glare from the headlights hurts. It also causes me to have some night blindness...

My husband just says I am a sensitive person. I guess so.

God bless,

Mariann

ianm Apprentice

I am also very light sensitive also. I have to wear sunglasses all of the time until it gets completely dark out. The good thing about that is my electric bill is really low because I don't need to turn the lights on as often as others do.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep, I am sensitive to light too. I keep sunglasses with me most of the time.

PicturePerfect Explorer
My husband just says I am a sensitive person.  I guess so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have sensitive eyes, ears, nose, and taste (because of Celiac)!

You have sensitive senses! :P

Lisa

ianm Apprentice

After reading these postings I am hoping that we'll all get mutant super powers. Then we can call ourselves the X-men. :lol:

celiac3270 Collaborator

I can tell when the tv is on or not even with the tv black and no volume like a poster three posts ago (I think?). I hear the electric whatever or the sort of electric static that no one else in my family does.

PicturePerfect Explorer
I can tell when the tv is on or not even with the tv black and no volume like a poster three posts ago (I think?).  I hear the electric whatever or the sort of electric static that no one else in my family does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh.. yes that is what I have.

Lisa

nogluten- Newbie

Does anyone burn out a lot of light bulbs when you turn on a light?

Bonnie Explorer

Personally I think you're all nuts!!! :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist! Great to have a laugh on this forum too!

Archived