33 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

I am just wondering if any other super sensitives react to sodas. At first I thought it was the high fructose corn syrup so I bought Pepsi Throwback with sugar. Whenever I drink either one, I get cramps and diarrhea. I'm NOT in any way trying to start a caramel color debate but could this bother a super sensitive?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm not so sure I would be someone to hear from because I am not sure how sensitive I actually am since I basically avoid all processed foods, but I do have a big problem with soda.

Do you only react to dark sodas or do you have problems with sodas like Sprite too?

Can you handle sugar in other things?

The reason I'm asking is that I used to be able to drink soda all the time, Pepsi was my favorite, but then I started getting bad cramps and it got progressively worse so I stopped with the HFCS, then I tried the one with sugar and still couldn't tolerate it, then I tried Sprite and that hurt too. I finally gave up trying after I spent time very sick from muffins that I made with white sugar, personally I can't tolerate the sugar so perhaps that is a problem with the soda for you...

I hope that you figure out what the problem is though.

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thanks. I can't tolerate any of them either. Clear soda and dark sodas both make me feel badly. I was recently glutened by some bacon and the D just will not stop. The only other 2 new things that I have added in months is Pepsi and Simply Apple Juice. I guess I am off sodas now...Another thing bites the dust. I guess i'll dig out my Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker tomorrow.

#4 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Gosh...sometimes I just wish that our bodies came with a do not eat list! This trial and error and it should be safe stuff is so tiring. I really hope you get to feeling better soon!

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Thanks! I know and I agree, it is so tiring especially when a full blown glutening comes on and you have no idea what is was from.

#6 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

You might try Oogave soda if you can find it. It's sweetened with agave syrup and tasted pretty good. I don't drink it anymore because it has corn (citric acid) but it should be safe for super sensitives. I would call the company just to make sure.

#7 Linus

Linus

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have had issues with sweetened drinks for 20 years. I could never figure it out. I thought it was HFCs acid etc. diet sodas are fine for me. Fruit juice and sweet wine hurts. Mixed drinks with sweet mixers hurt. I do not know what the issue is either. Now that I am gluten free, I still have the same problem. I guess it is better to avoid such drinks, but it sure is frustrating. I thought I was the only one with this issue.

#8 cait

cait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:07 AM

I thought I was fine with Mexican coke since it doesn't have HFCS (I react to corn). Sadly, I'm not, and I don't know exactly what it is that I react to in it. :angry:
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

You could make your own sodas:

http://www.sears.com...e=30-22521782-2
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Or use club soda (the plain stuff) with a big chunk of fresh meyer lemon or mandarin orange. :)

#11 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Gosh...sometimes I just wish that our bodies came with a do not eat list!

This is a SUPER SCARY thought :ph34r:
For as much of a trial that this has been, I think I am glad than when I started I did not know the WHOLE list . It would have completely FREAKED ME OUT !!!!!.
Even now it freaks me out some days ,some days not so much :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#12 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

It could be benzoates.
Benzoates are a preservative often used in sodas and bottled drinks and bottled condiments. I can't handle it at all. My DH reacts to Benzoates, which, according to experimentation and research is very common for those who are sensitive to salicylates. Even fruit juices often have sodium benzoate added to them. I won't buy anything with it in the ingredients list. I wonder how many are reacting to that? It would be interesting to know.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#13 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

This is a SUPER SCARY thought :ph34r:
For as much of a trial that this has been, I think I am glad than when I started I did not know the WHOLE list . It would have completely FREAKED ME OUT !!!!!.
Even now it freaks me out some days ,some days not so much :)

That's very true and I think I finally am getting to where I'm not completely terrified of getting sick from food, but if I would have known at the beginning I would have been very overwhelmed.

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

I'm coming to this late. I didn't see this before. As a super sensitive, I do react to sodas. I thought it was the corn syrup. While I don't react to corn on the cob, I do tend to react to processed corn products. I don't react to my store brand soda water so I mix that up with juice to make my own "soda", kind of like what Jestgar recommended.

#15 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm coming to this late. I didn't see this before. As a super sensitive, I do react to sodas. I thought it was the corn syrup. While I don't react to corn on the cob, I do tend to react to processed corn products. I don't react to my store brand soda water so I mix that up with juice to make my own "soda", kind of like what Jestgar recommended.

I bought a Sodastream maker and have made my own strawberry soda. Thanks everyone. No corn and it tastes great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: