Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Probiotics - Culturelle

35 posts in this topic

I just ordered some gluten and dairy free probiotics from Culturelle. Does anyone else take these and did they help?

Ads by Google:

Well, I've been touting them for weeks on various threads, so people are probably sick of me saying try them, try them!

:lol:

and yes, I think they work well. My very celiac-savvy GI suggested them (I had been using Custom Probiotics at first) and he said switch up once and a while for different strains.

They have studies to back them up (Tufts Univ. --if you are interested)

YES!!! Specifically I buy the Culturelle Digestive Health and get them from Wally World.

Irish Heart suggested I try them and they made a huge difference. So from now on, I'm going to believe everything she says. :lol:

Thanks ladies! I ordered the dairy free ones from Amazon. I can't wait to try them. Irish - I have read some of the posts, that is what pushed me to order them. They have been running commercials on TV too.

I was glutened a few times in the past few months and now I am having gluten like reactions to corn so I have totally screwed my system up. I hope these help!

YES!!! Specifically I buy the Culturelle Digestive Health and get them from Wally World.

Irish Heart suggested I try them and they made a huge difference. So from now on, I'm going to believe everything she says. :lol:

hoo boy, that is good to know...let's see, ....what can I talk Sylvia into next...

hmmmmmmmm (IH is thinking...... :lol: )hmmm......

hoo boy, that is good to know...let's see, ....what can I talk Sylvia into next...

hmmmmmmmm (IH is thinking...... :lol: )hmmm......

Well, an anti-aging miracle would help! :P

Thanks ladies! I ordered the dairy free ones from Amazon. I can't wait to try them. Irish - I have read some of the posts, that is what pushed me to order them. They have been running commercials on TV too.

I was glutened a few times in the past few months and now I am having gluten like reactions to corn so I have totally screwed my system up. I hope these help!

from http://www.thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

"Do probiotics help prevent or treat leaky gut?

Probiotics reduce, prevent and/or heal leaky gut. They enhance the gut barrier function.

Can probiotics help Celiac patients or reduce the toxicity of gluten or wheat protein in the gut?

Probiotics have been shown to reduce the toxicity of gluten. They may be especially beneficial in those with Celiac disease, potentially protecting against cross-contamination exposure. Probiotics may help heal leaky gut caused by gluten even in those without Celiac disease."

:)

Well, an anti-aging miracle would help! :P

Now, honey, you know I only provide info from proven research, but I'll keep looking for us!! :)

Now, honey, you know I only provide info from proven research, but I'll keep looking for us!! :)

Well, I won't bet the farm on it...just yet anyway. :lol:

I just ordered some. My daughter is supposed to take probiotics because she has no appendix. I've been getting some stuff at the health food store but it is more expensive. So we're gonna try this.

I just ordered some. My daughter is supposed to take probiotics because she has no appendix. I've been getting some stuff at the health food store but it is more expensive. So we're gonna try this.

The only precaution I saw about this probiotic was on drugs.com

"Talk to your doctor before taking lactobacillus rhamnosus GG if you have any other medical conditions, allergies, or if you take other medicines or herbal/health supplements. Under certain conditions, it may be dangerous for you to take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG.

Do not take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or may become pregnant during treatment. Do not take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without the advice of a doctor."

just FYI :)

I'm taking the Culturelle along with Power Dophilus, switching them each day. I don't know if they're helping..but they're sure not hurting.

I just started giving the probiotics to my dog. He had an ear infection and was on antibiotics. Now I see a bit of yeast in his ears. He's getting galic caps too. Those yeast are nasty buggers.

I'm taking the Culturelle along with Power Dophilus, switching them each day. I don't know if they're helping..but they're sure not hurting.

I just started giving the probiotics to my dog. He had an ear infection and was on antibiotics. Now I see a bit of yeast in his ears. He's getting galic caps too. Those yeast are nasty buggers.

Give them some time to repopulate your gut, hun. Our guts- from long unDXed celiac disease -are pretty damaged and the ratio of good/bad bacteria is unbalanced for sure.

I hope they do the trick for you. The dog should benefit too!

Caprylic acid caps--- or just plain coconut oil ---helps get rid of yeast as well, I believe?

I've been wanting to try the Culterelle, but the price has been an issue. Why does it have to be so expensive? :( My husband keeps saying to get it.....so I guess I will trot on over to Amazon. Wal-Mart didn't have the one you all recommend anyway.

I've been wanting to try the Culterelle, but the price has been an issue. Why does it have to be so expensive? :( My husband keeps saying to get it.....so I guess I will trot on over to Amazon. Wal-Mart didn't have the one you all recommend anyway.

D in F!! (bet you are not missing Maine right now, are you?! :)

Compared to most probiotics--this one is inexpensive.

I paid a LOT more for others. :rolleyes:

I got them from iherb. But you may find it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

D in F!! (bet you are not missing Maine right now, are you?! :)

Compared to most probiotics--this one is inexpensive.

I paid a LOT more for others. :rolleyes:

I got them from iherb. But you may find it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

[/quote

Nope, don't miss Maine at all! :P

I think I'll check out Walgreens and a couple other places before ordering from Amazon and paying shipping. And after looking on Amazon, I guess that Wal-Mart one is the same thing.

I think I'll check out Walgreens and a couple other places before ordering from Amazon and paying shipping. And after looking on Amazon, I guess that Wal-Mart one is the same thing.

I buy Culturelle Digestive Health at my local Wal-Mart and pay $18.52 for a 30-day supply. I don't know if that price is the same for all Wal-Mart stores but I think it's pretty reasonable.

Our local grocery store (ShopRite) carries it for around $18. You have another convert, IrishHeart - you don't work for Culturelle, do you? :lol:

Our local grocery store (ShopRite) carries it for around $18. You have another convert, IrishHeart - you don't work for Culturelle, do you? :lol:

:lol: nope, honest. :)

I just know we all need probiotics and they are reasonably priced, recommended by my doctor, and backed by research. (That always makes me feel better.)

But if I did, then I would probably have to warn myself for violating the rules of blatant spamming... :lol:

Well Irishheart, I have to thank you for encouraging me on another thread to take my probiotics regulary. I've been taking them every or nearly every day for about 2 weeks and my insulin needs have suddenly decreased. I had noticed and reported in the past that my BG seemed lower in the period of time following when I took the acidophilus after a meal. Now my insulin needs have decreased a notch with all meals. I found myself going hypo too often and had to dial back. Same thing happened when I started a rotation diet for the food allergies, about same timing as well. So between the two, I am now down to half the insulin that I started with for the exact same meals. I eat very simple consistant meals-same contents and portions and I measure my portions-same every time so it's clear that this is what's making the difference. I recently talked with someone on a diabetes forum who reports the same thing-rotation diet plus probiotics=much reduced insulin needs for her. We are both T1-I still produce some insulin of my own and am slow onset. I'm not sure about her of if she's a celiac as well.

I'm taking Country Life. It's what I had onhand.

Well Irishheart, I have to thank you for encouraging me on another thread to take my probiotics regulary. I've been taking them every or nearly every day for about 2 weeks and my insulin needs have suddenly decreased. I had noticed and reported in the past that my BG seemed lower in the period of time following when I took the acidophilus after a meal. Now my insulin needs have decreased a notch with all meals. I found myself going hypo too often and had to dial back. Same thing happened when I started a rotation diet for the food allergies, about same timing as well. So between the two, I am now down to half the insulin that I started with for the exact same meals. I eat very simple consistant meals-same contents and portions and I measure my portions-same every time so it's clear that this is what's making the difference. I recently talked with someone on a diabetes forum who reports the same thing-rotation diet plus probiotics=much reduced insulin needs for her. We are both T1-I still produce some insulin of my own and am slow onset. I'm not sure about her of if she's a celiac as well.

I'm taking Country Life. It's what I had onhand.

I am happy to hear your have reduced your need for insulin! I read that diabetics can benefit from supplementing with probiotics some time ago and tried to convince my sister to use them. No go. (She also refuses to be tested for celiac, which is heartbreaking. She is also hypothyroid. But the more I nudge, the more resistance I get.) :(

Maybe I will forward your response to her.

Thanks for telling us about your good response to the probiotics.

I feel like crying right now (from joy for you!!!) :)

Best wishes to you!!

Is there a best time of day to take a probiotic? With food or without? With lots of water or without? I am trying to get the max benefit. Thanks.

Is there a best time of day to take a probiotic? With food or without? With lots of water or without? I am trying to get the max benefit. Thanks.

I take mine in the morning with breakfast, when I take my other supplements, so I will remember it! :rolleyes:

I take it first thing in the AM with 16 oz. of water.

You could take it at bedtime if you prefer.

According to the majority of articles I read:

Take it before eating breakfast with a glass of pure water

Wait 10-15 minutes after taking it before you eat because stomach acid from your meal could impact some of the 'good' bacteria (you could lose 5-10%)

During these times, the digestive system has little activity, which means the pH of the stomach is relatively low. A less acidic stomach means the bacteria have a higher chance of attaching to the intestinal wall and thriving.

Also, avoid taking it within 3 hours of taking any antibiotic.

"The Harvard Women's Health Watch recommends taking from 1 billion to 10 billion colony-forming units of probiotics (one to two capsules) several days per week. You can take probiotics for a limited time for specific conditions, such as a supplemental treatment for a yeast or intestinal infection, or you can take them indefinitely as a preventative measure. Before taking probiotics or any natural supplements, however, you should obtain the approval of your health care provider. Probiotics can be dangerous for people allergic to bacteria such as lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium or Streptococcus thermophilus."

That sounds like good advice to maximize putting these good bugs to work. Thanks!