34 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I just ordered some gluten and dairy free probiotics from Culturelle. Does anyone else take these and did they help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well, I've been touting them for weeks on various threads, so people are probably sick of me saying try them, try them!
:lol:

and yes, I think they work well. My very celiac-savvy GI suggested them (I had been using Custom Probiotics at first) and he said switch up once and a while for different strains.

They have studies to back them up (Tufts Univ. --if you are interested)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

YES!!! Specifically I buy the Culturelle Digestive Health and get them from Wally World.

Irish Heart suggested I try them and they made a huge difference. So from now on, I'm going to believe everything she says. :lol:
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks ladies! I ordered the dairy free ones from Amazon. I can't wait to try them. Irish - I have read some of the posts, that is what pushed me to order them. They have been running commercials on TV too.

I was glutened a few times in the past few months and now I am having gluten like reactions to corn so I have totally screwed my system up. I hope these help!

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

YES!!! Specifically I buy the Culturelle Digestive Health and get them from Wally World.

Irish Heart suggested I try them and they made a huge difference. So from now on, I'm going to believe everything she says. :lol:

hoo boy, that is good to know...let's see, ....what can I talk Sylvia into next...

hmmmmmmmm (IH is thinking...... :lol: )hmmm......

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

hoo boy, that is good to know...let's see, ....what can I talk Sylvia into next...

hmmmmmmmm (IH is thinking...... :lol: )hmmm......

Well, an anti-aging miracle would help! :P
Sylvia

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks ladies! I ordered the dairy free ones from Amazon. I can't wait to try them. Irish - I have read some of the posts, that is what pushed me to order them. They have been running commercials on TV too.

I was glutened a few times in the past few months and now I am having gluten like reactions to corn so I have totally screwed my system up. I hope these help!

from http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

"Do probiotics help prevent or treat leaky gut?

Probiotics reduce, prevent and/or heal leaky gut. They enhance the gut barrier function.

Can probiotics help Celiac patients or reduce the toxicity of gluten or wheat protein in the gut?

Probiotics have been shown to reduce the toxicity of gluten. They may be especially beneficial in those with Celiac disease, potentially protecting against cross-contamination exposure. Probiotics may help heal leaky gut caused by gluten even in those without Celiac disease."

:)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well, an anti-aging miracle would help! :P

Now, honey, you know I only provide info from proven research, but I'll keep looking for us!! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Now, honey, you know I only provide info from proven research, but I'll keep looking for us!! :)

Well, I won't bet the farm on it...just yet anyway. :lol:
Sylvia

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

I just ordered some. My daughter is supposed to take probiotics because she has no appendix. I've been getting some stuff at the health food store but it is more expensive. So we're gonna try this.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

I just ordered some. My daughter is supposed to take probiotics because she has no appendix. I've been getting some stuff at the health food store but it is more expensive. So we're gonna try this.

The only precaution I saw about this probiotic was on drugs.com

"Talk to your doctor before taking lactobacillus rhamnosus GG if you have any other medical conditions, allergies, or if you take other medicines or herbal/health supplements. Under certain conditions, it may be dangerous for you to take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG.
Do not take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or may become pregnant during treatment. Do not take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without the advice of a doctor."

just FYI :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

I'm taking the Culturelle along with Power Dophilus, switching them each day. I don't know if they're helping..but they're sure not hurting.

I just started giving the probiotics to my dog. He had an ear infection and was on antibiotics. Now I see a bit of yeast in his ears. He's getting galic caps too. Those yeast are nasty buggers.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm taking the Culturelle along with Power Dophilus, switching them each day. I don't know if they're helping..but they're sure not hurting.

I just started giving the probiotics to my dog. He had an ear infection and was on antibiotics. Now I see a bit of yeast in his ears. He's getting galic caps too. Those yeast are nasty buggers.

Give them some time to repopulate your gut, hun. Our guts- from long unDXed celiac disease -are pretty damaged and the ratio of good/bad bacteria is unbalanced for sure.

I hope they do the trick for you. The dog should benefit too!

Caprylic acid caps--- or just plain coconut oil ---helps get rid of yeast as well, I believe?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

I've been wanting to try the Culterelle, but the price has been an issue. Why does it have to be so expensive? :( My husband keeps saying to get it.....so I guess I will trot on over to Amazon. Wal-Mart didn't have the one you all recommend anyway.
Gluten Free since 2010

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I've been wanting to try the Culterelle, but the price has been an issue. Why does it have to be so expensive? :( My husband keeps saying to get it.....so I guess I will trot on over to Amazon. Wal-Mart didn't have the one you all recommend anyway.

D in F!! (bet you are not missing Maine right now, are you?! :)

Compared to most probiotics--this one is inexpensive.

I paid a LOT more for others. :rolleyes:

I got them from iherb. But you may find it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: