#16 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

[quote name='IrishHeart' timestamp='1326482799' post='764604']
D in F!! (bet you are not missing Maine right now, are you?! :)

Compared to most probiotics--this one is inexpensive.

I paid a LOT more for others. :rolleyes:

I got them from iherb. But you may find it a bit cheaper elsewhere.
[/quote

Nope, don't miss Maine at all! :P

I think I'll check out Walgreens and a couple other places before ordering from Amazon and paying shipping. And after looking on Amazon, I guess that Wal-Mart one is the same thing.
Gluten Free since 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think I'll check out Walgreens and a couple other places before ordering from Amazon and paying shipping. And after looking on Amazon, I guess that Wal-Mart one is the same thing.

I buy Culturelle Digestive Health at my local Wal-Mart and pay $18.52 for a 30-day supply. I don't know if that price is the same for all Wal-Mart stores but I think it's pretty reasonable.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#18 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Our local grocery store (ShopRite) carries it for around $18. You have another convert, IrishHeart - you don't work for Culturelle, do you? :lol:

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Our local grocery store (ShopRite) carries it for around $18. You have another convert, IrishHeart - you don't work for Culturelle, do you? :lol:

:lol: nope, honest. :)

I just know we all need probiotics and they are reasonably priced, recommended by my doctor, and backed by research. (That always makes me feel better.)

But if I did, then I would probably have to warn myself for violating the rules of blatant spamming... :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

Well Irishheart, I have to thank you for encouraging me on another thread to take my probiotics regulary. I've been taking them every or nearly every day for about 2 weeks and my insulin needs have suddenly decreased. I had noticed and reported in the past that my BG seemed lower in the period of time following when I took the acidophilus after a meal. Now my insulin needs have decreased a notch with all meals. I found myself going hypo too often and had to dial back. Same thing happened when I started a rotation diet for the food allergies, about same timing as well. So between the two, I am now down to half the insulin that I started with for the exact same meals. I eat very simple consistant meals-same contents and portions and I measure my portions-same every time so it's clear that this is what's making the difference. I recently talked with someone on a diabetes forum who reports the same thing-rotation diet plus probiotics=much reduced insulin needs for her. We are both T1-I still produce some insulin of my own and am slow onset. I'm not sure about her of if she's a celiac as well.

I'm taking Country Life. It's what I had onhand.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

Well Irishheart, I have to thank you for encouraging me on another thread to take my probiotics regulary. I've been taking them every or nearly every day for about 2 weeks and my insulin needs have suddenly decreased. I had noticed and reported in the past that my BG seemed lower in the period of time following when I took the acidophilus after a meal. Now my insulin needs have decreased a notch with all meals. I found myself going hypo too often and had to dial back. Same thing happened when I started a rotation diet for the food allergies, about same timing as well. So between the two, I am now down to half the insulin that I started with for the exact same meals. I eat very simple consistant meals-same contents and portions and I measure my portions-same every time so it's clear that this is what's making the difference. I recently talked with someone on a diabetes forum who reports the same thing-rotation diet plus probiotics=much reduced insulin needs for her. We are both T1-I still produce some insulin of my own and am slow onset. I'm not sure about her of if she's a celiac as well.

I'm taking Country Life. It's what I had onhand.

I am happy to hear your have reduced your need for insulin! I read that diabetics can benefit from supplementing with probiotics some time ago and tried to convince my sister to use them. No go. (She also refuses to be tested for celiac, which is heartbreaking. She is also hypothyroid. But the more I nudge, the more resistance I get.) :(

Maybe I will forward your response to her.
Thanks for telling us about your good response to the probiotics.
I feel like crying right now (from joy for you!!!) :)
Best wishes to you!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#22 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

Is there a best time of day to take a probiotic? With food or without? With lots of water or without? I am trying to get the max benefit. Thanks.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#23 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Is there a best time of day to take a probiotic? With food or without? With lots of water or without? I am trying to get the max benefit. Thanks.

I take mine in the morning with breakfast, when I take my other supplements, so I will remember it! :rolleyes:

Gluten Free since 2010

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

I take it first thing in the AM with 16 oz. of water.

You could take it at bedtime if you prefer.

According to the majority of articles I read:

Take it before eating breakfast with a glass of pure water

Wait 10-15 minutes after taking it before you eat because stomach acid from your meal could impact some of the 'good' bacteria (you could lose 5-10%)

During these times, the digestive system has little activity, which means the pH of the stomach is relatively low. A less acidic stomach means the bacteria have a higher chance of attaching to the intestinal wall and thriving.

Also, avoid taking it within 3 hours of taking any antibiotic.

"The Harvard Women's Health Watch recommends taking from 1 billion to 10 billion colony-forming units of probiotics (one to two capsules) several days per week. You can take probiotics for a limited time for specific conditions, such as a supplemental treatment for a yeast or intestinal infection, or you can take them indefinitely as a preventative measure. Before taking probiotics or any natural supplements, however, you should obtain the approval of your health care provider. Probiotics can be dangerous for people allergic to bacteria such as lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium or Streptococcus thermophilus."

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

That sounds like good advice to maximize putting these good bugs to work. Thanks!
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#26 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

I am happy to hear your have reduced your need for insulin! I read that diabetics can benefit from supplementing with probiotics some time ago and tried to convince my sister to use them. No go. (She also refuses to be tested for celiac, which is heartbreaking. She is also hypothyroid. But the more I nudge, the more resistance I get.) :(

Maybe I will forward your response to her.
Thanks for telling us about your good response to the probiotics.
I feel like crying right now (from joy for you!!!) :)
Best wishes to you!!

I have never heard of a diabetic requiring less insulin after using probiotics! That is so interesting and like you, Irish, my brother is a Type 1 who I just know has Celiac also. Why? Because his health has always been poor in the way Celiacs suffer before diagnosis. He had bouts of diarrhea so severe, it debilitated him but his doctors claim that's from the diabetes and not Celiac. You know the drill....we can't find it so you don't have it. My brother is as resistant as your sister so I dropped it a while ago and have to accept he will have a much shortened lifespan. He is in really bad shape with all diseases related to Celiac. I am pretty sure if I broach the probiotic news he will scoff at that too! :rolleyes:

#27 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Why ARE people so resistant to checking out if they might have Celiac? I have a couple of friends who suffer from Fibro and I have told them about the connection between Celiac and Fibro, and given them links to good sources for info. They say "Oh, that's interesting", but never follow through. I don't get why they wouldn't want to explore the possibility that giving up gluten could help. I have also told several people about B12 deficiency and they won't even ask for the test. I'm not pushy or obnoxious about it either. I guess some people just can't face tthe prospect of giving up their gluteny food. :rolleyes:
Gluten Free since 2010

#28 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have never heard of a diabetic requiring less insulin after using probiotics! That is so interesting and like you, Irish, my brother is a Type 1 who I just know has Celiac also. Why? Because his health has always been poor in the way Celiacs suffer before diagnosis. He had bouts of diarrhea so severe, it debilitated him but his doctors claim that's from the diabetes and not Celiac. You know the drill....we can't find it so you don't have it. My brother is as resistant as your sister so I dropped it a while ago and have to accept he will have a much shortened lifespan. He is in really bad shape with all diseases related to Celiac. I am pretty sure if I broach the probiotic news he will scoff at that too! :rolleyes:

I posted my results on a diabetes forum and not a single response. I imagine there is some scoffing there too.

Inflamation causes an elevation in blood sugar. That's partly why food allergies can raise blood sugar as well. Casein makes my BG jump up a good big notch and not just the meal I consume it in but my whole baseline and all post meal numbers jump up a big notch. I have clear GI inflamation when I ingest my food allergens. My blood sugar is carefully controlled so it's easy to see if something makes a difference. My insulin doses are now still lower since I first reported this. I do still make some insulin of my own so if my pancreas is not using what insulin it has left to manage the blood sugar increase caused my inflamation, then it can use it to help cover my meals, I would imagine. Actually I could just eat more to cover my shots instead of decreasing the dose and that's what some might do, which might distract from the fact that their insulin needs are lower. I might consider increasing my food as well, and upping my insulin once I get a comfortable now stable level and get comfortable with what 1 unit will now cover, which is more than it used to. But I am satisfied with my meals and eat well so I am fine where I am at.

On one level, a shot is a shot and it doesn't matter whether it contains 1 or 3 units but if you get into higher doses, the predictability factor decreases and that can be problematic(at least for some), plus the longer I can maintain what insulin production I have left, that makes fewer shots and easier management. Bottom line though is the probiotic results show healing taking place and that's a very good thing.

One of the D forum members who has the same kind of slow onset T1 I do, was recently dx with celiac disease and reported much easier BG management after only 2 weeks gluten-free.

There's a lot of counterproductive long entrenched stubborneness about Diabetes out there that prevents people/healthcare professionals from embracing some things that do make a difference.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

Why ARE people so resistant to checking out if they might have Celiac? I have a couple of friends who suffer from Fibro and I have told them about the connection between Celiac and Fibro, and given them links to good sources for info. They say "Oh, that's interesting", but never follow through. I don't get why they wouldn't want to explore the possibility that giving up gluten could help. I have also told several people about B12 deficiency and they won't even ask for the test. I'm not pushy or obnoxious about it either. I guess some people just can't face tthe prospect of giving up their gluteny food. :rolleyes:

That's exactly it in a nutshell, D!

And lack of encouragement from the AMA. Heaven forbid we should actually HEAL people and get them out of misery and out of their offices. No $$$ in that! <_<

The nurse/LMT I see 2X a week who gives me nueromuscular massages and physical therapy to help me get my muscles and strength back? Well, she has dozens of patients who have "FMS" and she asked me to help her convince them to try a gluten-free diet. I wrote up an article explaining how gluten creates inflammation and she gently urges them to try it. Guess what? She told yesterday she is 4/4--all 4 women are reducing their pain in just a few weeks OFF GLUTEN. They are ecstatic!

And when they report this amazing change to their doctors? They are given the eye roll and are scoffed at and told "it's just a coincidence".
<_<

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

One of the D forum members who has the same kind of slow onset T1 I do, was recently dx with celiac disease and reported much easier BG management after only 2 weeks gluten-free.

There's a lot of counterproductive long entrenched stubborneness about Diabetes out there that prevents people/healthcare professionals from embracing some things that do make a difference.

I wish I could introduce you to my sister.

Sadly, she would prefer to follow the doctor's advice and control all of her various AI diseases through medications. She watched me go downhill for 3 years and almost die from celiac disease, yet it is not enough to persuade her to even be tested. I said "At least mention it to your doctor that I have celiac disease, please?" She said "He made a note of it in my chart." :blink:

I have said many times that INFLAMMATION underlies all of this, and sent her articles on AI diseases, specifically diabetes and celiac, but it falls on deaf ears. I am terrified her kidneys will go next. But I do not wear a white coat or have a stethiscope around my neck to give me enough credence. :rolleyes:

And as Diane points out, she is reluctant to adjust enough to give up her gluteny foods. I feel so bad about it and I cry sometimes, thinking, I KNOW she has celiac and I know she would feel so much better off gluten.

But, we can't make anyone see the light. They have to be as sick as we were and pushed to the wall to " get it."

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: