22 replies to this topic

#16 mmm1017

mmm1017

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I was disappointed at Aveda. There is hydrolyzed wheat protein in a lot of Aveda hair care products. They do have allergen information in the store to help find the wheat-free ones.

I like Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner most days, and Enjoy Reconstructing Conditioner once a week. Giovanni and Aubrey Organics are nice because they're paraben and SLS free.

Did you experience any issues with the Aveda products? I have been using them for years, and I love them. I was recently diagnosed with celiac and am trying to figure out if I need to find new hair product or not - I keep seeing conflicting information regarding the presence of gluten in hydrolyzed wheat protein.

Chat Transcript
info: Welcome to Aveda Online. Your personal Advisor will be with you shortly.
info: Hello. Thank you for your interest in Aveda Online. My name is Connie. How may I assist you?
Connie: Hi Michelle
michelle: I am looking for some hair products and maybe some body products, but I cannot have anything with gluten in it or I will become severly sick.
Connie: I am sorry to hear that. For ingredient assistance, kindly contact our Consumer Care team. They can be reached via phone toll-free, at 1.800.328.0849 M-F between 8am-5:00pm Central Standard Time or via email at ConsumerCare-US@gcc.aveda.com.
Connie: They will be happy to assist you Michelle.
michelle: Does Aveda seriously not have a list of gluten free products?
michelle: Why?
Connie: Yes, our Consumer Care team will be happy to assist you Michelle.
Connie: Is there anything else I may assist you with today Michelle?
Connie: Thank you for your visit.
Connie: Have a great week!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I also like the Garnier shampoos and conditioners. Right now I am using Wen. The Pomegranate and Six-Thirteen are gluten-free (soy based), as are the seasonal ones. At this time, all other varieties are wheat based and unfortunately out for us.

I have dry, naturally curly, color treated hair and this is the most moisturizing shampoo (they call it cleansing conditioner) I have ever used. Expensive but worth it, in my opinion.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#18 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I've been happy with Neuma. I buy it in a salon and it's salon pricey, but works very well, and is an all vegan and gluten free line. They also list all product ingredients on their website.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#19 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

The L'Oreal Everstrong line is gluten free per an email I received from their customer service a few months ago.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#20 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

I loved my Aveda 'be curly' product line, but they all have hydrolized wheat protein. I have since moved on to Onesta (for shampoo/conditioner) and Beautiful Curl for styling products (leave-in conditioner and curl activating cream). I don't like they as much as Aveda, but they seem to work reasonable well, and are much less expensive. I get the Onesta on-line, and the Beautiful Curls at whole foods. Beautiful curls also has a shampoo, but I have not tried it yet...

#21 NJceliac

NJceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I was disappointed at Aveda. There is hydrolyzed wheat protein in a lot of Aveda hair care products. They do have allergen information in the store to help find the wheat-free ones.

I like Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner most days, and Enjoy Reconstructing Conditioner once a week. Giovanni and Aubrey Organics are nice because they're paraben and SLS free.

Not all of the Aubrey line of products are gluten free so make sure to read the label. Same with Giovanni (most of there's is but not all).

Celiac Diagnosed 12/3/2011 (Positive blood work and biopsy at age 41)

#22 CeliacStudent2013

CeliacStudent2013

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

I use Garnier Fructis only. They are gluten free, easy to find, work well and inexpensive. :)

where can u find that kind

#23 CeliacStudent2013

CeliacStudent2013

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: