Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Going To Start Trying Soon!

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone. I'm so happy I found this forum! :)

I'm 27 and have been married to my husband for 8 months (we've been together for 5 years though). I was diagnosed with Celiac 4 months after our wedding (in September). I'm so happy I finally discovered why I was withering away and always in the bathroom... but I'm definitely still recovering. I stopped taking birth control back in July and finally got my period in September (first 'real' one since going off birth control, and exactly two weeks after going gluten free). My husband and I really want to start trying in the next few months to have a baby, but I'm still terrified that I'm not completely healed. My OBGYN said everything looks good with my reproductive organs, but I want to make sure my vitamin levels and antibody levels are in check. I'm seeing my primary doctor next week (although he specializes in GI he knows little about celiac unfortunately). I think I've been getting CC'ed a lot lately so I'm a little discouraged about that. I actually just read in a previous forum the prenatal vitamins I've been taking (Rainbow Light Prenatal One) contain trace amounts of gluten, although labeled 'gluten-free'! Maybe that's why I've still been getting sick? Crazy. Anyways, I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any tips to prepare my body for a (potential) pregnancy. Vitamins you recommend? Best foods to eat? Tips for fertility? I'm open to anything! :P

Ads by Google:

Congratulations on your marriage and your diagnosis!

As far as CC goes, keep reading, especially this forum! I think it takes a few months to get everything lined out. Make sure you've replaced your cutting boards, rolling pins, toaster, etc. and that your kitchen has been cleaned with respect to places flour may have settled over the years. Consider everything guilty until proven innocent with respect to gluten content. I would say to only use products you're sure of, especially when pregnant or trying to become so, and don't forget about skin care products (shampoos, lotions, makeup, etc.) If it is on your skin, it can get into your mouth. Also, don't lick envelopes! :-)

Keep in mind that you might have another sensitivity. I had to eliminate dairy also. Many others have had to give up soy and/or other foods. Keeping a journal of everything you eat/drink might help you pinpoint something.

I take New Chapter vitamins (Perfect Prenatal, Wholemega Prenatal, and Bone Strength) and Nature Made vitamin D3. These are all gluten free, but they DO contain soy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Also, don't lick envelopes!

While there are lots of things to worry about, the envelope story is a celiac urban myth. In all the time I've been a celiac, nobody has ever found an envelope with gluten in it.

While there are lots of things to worry about, the envelope story is a celiac urban myth. In all the time I've been a celiac, nobody has ever found an envelope with gluten in it.

Wow, thanks, Peter! We can always use one less thing to worry about! :)

Thanks for the tips! This week has been rough (either CC'ed or developing other food sensitivities).. so I definitely think we need to wait until I can get it under control. Wanting a baby is pretty good motivation though to be extra careful and take good care of yourself! I'm going back to the basics and slowly incorporating different foods/products back in to see what the issue is. I will keep everyone posted. =)

You and I are in the same boat =) we are going to start trying...again in a couple months. Been gluten free since November and for the first time in 3 years I ovulated this months without meds so so far so good.

Good luck!!!!

That's great upwith! Keep me posted! I think we're going to start trying around May, depending on if I can get my body healthy again. Fingers crossed. :)

We didn't prevent this month lol but will be trying another cycle of fertility meds in march? My endocrinologist still insists I have pcos and that celiacs is not the problem. I think he's miss informed but I'm fine doing the meds since they cant really hurt and if it improves our chance more than yay.

Fingers crossed and baby dust to you!

I actually just read in a previous forum the prenatal vitamins I've been taking (Rainbow Light Prenatal One) contain trace amounts of gluten, although labeled 'gluten-free'! Maybe that's why I've still been getting sick? Crazy. Anyways, I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any tips to prepare my body for a (potential) pregnancy. Vitamins you recommend? Best foods to eat? Tips for fertility? I'm open to anything! :P

Where did you read that? Many of the women on here have/are taking the Rainbow Light successfully. I am fairly sensetive and have been taking them without any gluten reaction.

As for tips, just eat a healthy, well-rounded, gluten-free diet. Make your house gluten free as well. Chuck all potential CC out of your life. I went gluten free back in Sept. My husband and I made a nearly gluten free kitchen and I have been FANATIC about even the most minute crumbs (just ask him--I can drive him crazy with it at times). I was SO sick and NEVER want to go back to that! I had been off of bc for four months at that time, with still not having a period. One month gluten free, my period returned (coincedence, I think not!). My doctor warned me that I still would likely not be ovulating, but encouraged me to get some OTC OPK just so that we would have a fuller picture of not ovulating in order to move forward with (potential) fertility treatments and gave us six months TOPS to be pregnant before she wanted to pursue further avenues (I'm 35 and my husband is 40). Well, lo and behold, I WAS ovulating on that first cycle! Imagine my surprise when I saw that :) on my OPK one not-so-random morning (right on track for 'normal' time frame, when I was NEVER regular before). Second cycle I was pregnant and am now 10 weeks along as of today. And everyone keeps being shocked at how early the tadpole keeps hitting milestones. When we had our first ultrasound at 5 1/2 weeks, the U/S tech warned us not to get worried as it was likely way too early to really see much of anything. Well, we actually SAW the heartbeat that day. And at my second prenatal appointment this past week, as we were wrapping up, my doctor said, "We'll bring you back in two weeks to hear the heartbeat for the first time." To which my husband laughed and replied, "She's been doing that for weeks now at home." He had gotten me a home dopplar for Christmas and I'd been listening to the baby's heartbeat since seven weeks (almost unheard of to hear it that early). So the doctor pulled out her dopplar from her pocket and, to her surprise, immediately found a very strong heartbeat.

Anyway, good luck when you start trying! Just maintain a good gluten-free diet and you should be fine!

That's great new jswog!! I too find it remarkable that my period returned after just two weeks of going gluten free. It's still a bit wacky though (about 37 days apart).. but hopefully I'll get more regular soon. I think I just need to put on a few more pounds perhaps.

I have become slightly fanatical as well about gluten. Two weeks ago I officially banned it completely from the house. I also cut out dairy and my morning coffee. I have definitely noticed a difference!

Regarding the Rainbow Light vitamins, it was posted by someone else in this forum. I have no concrete facts to back that up. I just bought some New Chapter Perfect Prenatal vitamins today so I'm crossing my fingers those sit well with me. B)

Congrats again & thanks for the tips!!

Hi all. Beware - Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal vitamins are NOT totally gluten free. After being on the vitamins for only 4 days I began to react. I called them to ask if anyone else has complained to find out that there is gluten in them. The woman stated they are within the limits set by the FDA that allows up to 20 ppm. Therefore, they aren't wrong for labeling gluten free.

What a disappointment.

I have had no issues with the Natures Bounty Prenatal tablets. They are labeled as having no: artificial flavor, preservatives, sugar, milk, lactose, soy, gluten, wheat, yeast, shellfish and sodium free. Not pregnant yet, but trying.

I also agree with others that say to throw away your non food items for gluten. I ended up having to throw out all my makeup and start over. Even my favorite Burt's beeswax Chapstick isn't safe. Same thing with my soap and shampoo. Who would have thought (vital wheat gluten) was a hair care product.

Dove soap, carmex have been good replacements for me. No sense in possibly compromising your kiddo.