19 replies to this topic

#1 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Everything I have read says they are gluten free. But this is twice in a row now that I have gotten sick within minutes of finishing a bag. Last time I thought it was a fluke. This time, my celiac son and I were munching them in the car, and by the time we got into the store, we both had to go running for the bathroom. I am kind of fortunate in that gluten usually gives me a very quick and noticeable reaction, so I can identify the culprit at least. Are M&M's likely to have been cross contaminated? This has NEVER happened witht he regular ones. Hours later and my stomach is still really hurting. I am never touching them again, that is for sure!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have never had a problem with M&Ms, but I don't have any specific experience with the peanut butter ones.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 giggleburger

giggleburger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Is it possible you have some sort of issue with peanuts or whatever is mixed to make the peanut buttery part of the M&Ms?

#4 gluten free overseas

gluten free overseas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

Do dyes bother you? Even the gluten free dyes can bother some folks.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

They now make pretzel M&Ms. I wonder if CC is now an issue when it wasn't before?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

I believe it was on here that I read this, but not sure. You could contact M&Ms and get it verified.

Special flavors like, the pretzel or raspberry or strawberry were produced on thier "extra" lines. So were holiday colors. The regular flavors stayed together on the main machines. I don't know if pretzel has become a standard flavor now or a temporary one.

Since you had a reaction, maybe you would like to email them & then post the response for all of us inquiring minds?

I never get to eat the PB ones at my house as they are the first in a mixed bag to be sucked down by the boys here.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

I had the same problem with Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. No gluten listed in the ingredients, but I had a reaction shortly after eating one.

#8 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

No problems with dyes or peanuts ever- so I am going to email the company as suggested. I will let you know what I hear back!

#9 LabyrinthRunner13

LabyrinthRunner13

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

No problems with dyes or peanuts ever- so I am going to email the company as suggested. I will let you know what I hear back!

I'd be really interested to hear what they say... I got a bag out of the vending machine at work today and 30 minutes later I was running for the bathroom. It is now several hours later and I am developing a rash on my arms, and (for the first time) on my chest. I was given to believe that they were gluten free and safe...

#10 Duhlina

Duhlina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

I had a reaction to the mini Reese's peanut butter cups and vowed to never touch them again!

#11 beverlyann5

beverlyann5

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

I am new at this, but find myself always getting answers from this site and various members. I was looking up Peanut Butter M&M's and of course found comments here. I eas the Peanut M&M's all the time with no adverse affects. However, after reading the ingredients as we all do on the Peanut Butter ones, I ate 3. Three. That's all. Ten minutes later I was having a reaction and had to leave the work floor. So they are definitely off my list of edibles. By the way I have Celiac Disease and am now living a Gluten Freedom life! Wow! Beverly

Everything I have read says they are gluten free. But this is twice in a row now that I have gotten sick within minutes of finishing a bag. Last time I thought it was a fluke. This time, my celiac son and I were munching them in the car, and by the time we got into the store, we both had to go running for the bathroom. I am kind of fortunate in that gluten usually gives me a very quick and noticeable reaction, so I can identify the culprit at least. Are M&M's likely to have been cross contaminated? This has NEVER happened witht he regular ones. Hours later and my stomach is still really hurting. I am never touching them again, that is for sure!

#12 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

So I finally heard back from the company...sort of. makes me wonder if a real person even READS the emails? They are treating it like a complaint! Argh. I just want to know their processing procedure. Anyway...this is what they said:

In response to your email regarding M&M'S PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CANDIES.

Thank you for your email.

We're sorry to hear of your experience with M&M'S PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CANDIES. At Mars Chocolate North America we take all consumer feedback very seriously, and we would like the opportunity to provide you with the highest level of service.

In compliance with the requirements of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), we ask for limited personal information as a part of our initial online feedback process. COPPA restricts the amount of personal information that website operators can collect online. In order to respond to your email, we need to collect further information from you (i.e., address, upc and manufacturing code stamped on the wrapper). Please contact us on our toll-free number, 1-800-627-7852, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.

When calling please refer to file reference # 011674967A. We look forward to assisting you further.

Sincerely,

Consumer Care

Like I KEPT the packaging? Really? They think I am a hoarder? (ok, so maybe I am a little, but only important stuff...) Anyway, I will call them tomorrow if I get a chance and post what I find out. If anything....

#13 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I am new at this, but find myself always getting answers from this site and various members. I was looking up Peanut Butter M&M's and of course found comments here. I eas the Peanut M&M's all the time with no adverse affects. However, after reading the ingredients as we all do on the Peanut Butter ones, I ate 3. Three. That's all. Ten minutes later I was having a reaction and had to leave the work floor. So they are definitely off my list of edibles. By the way I have Celiac Disease and am now living a Gluten Freedom life! Wow! Beverly

BAM! As Emeril would say...if he had Celiac that is...lol

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Like I KEPT the packaging? Really? They think I am a hoarder? (ok, so maybe I am a little, but only important stuff...) Anyway, I will call them tomorrow if I get a chance and post what I find out. If anything....

This is normal. The people in the call centers who respond to such questions routinely ask for this sort of information. They do need it.

If you are in doubt about a product, ALWAYS keep the package so you can refer to it when the manufacturer's rep asks these questions. Ingredients and facilities change. Some companies have more than one plant. The production code, combined with the UPC, is the only way that they can know that the answers they give relate to the product you actually bought.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 srsly

srsly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

I had a reaction this week as well and the only thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary for my diet was peanut butter M&Ms.

Please do follow up if you found out anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: