This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peanut Butter M&m's...sooo Sick!

MitziG

Natalie319 Newbie

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I had been having chocolate (but real chocolate.. cocoa powder, or vegan dark chocolate). It's possible it was the "milk" chocolate issue (however, I'd been having diary without troubles either). It's just so weird but man, 6 days later, and I'm still in pain. If I could turn back time!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Mars makes M&M's & here is a link to their allergen policy:

https://www.mms.com/us/legal/allergen.html

This is the most up to date ingredient list I can find online as i do not have any peanut butter M&M's on hand to actually read the label.

Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Milkfat, Lactose, Peanuts, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavors), Peanut Butter (Partially Defatted Peanuts), Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Less than 2% - Cornstarch, Dextrose, Natural Flavor, Salt, Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring (Includes Red 40 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1, Red 40, Blue2), Propyl Gallate to Maintain Freshness, Gum Acacia. ALLERGY INFORMATION: May contain almonds. 

There are a heck of a lot of ingredients in there. Maybe it's the Propyl Gallate, Gum Acacia, maybe almond contamination -- maybe you've become sensitive to almonds, maybe soy, maybe any of those food colorings. I'm saying I wouldn't be too quick to say they are cc'd with gluten.

• 1 year later...
GlutenIntolerantinMO Newbie

OMG! This happened to me too! Couldn't figure out what could be bothering me since these are listed as gluten free but more than one day now they are the only common factor. Someone for sure should let them know. 

Also to the person who commented about reese eggs. Hersheys says that any of the specialty ones aren't gluten free. just the originals. 

I eat regular reeses all the time and never have a problem. For those that make the argument that it is peanut butter, or chocolate, or milk. 

Edited by GlutenIntolerantinMO
  • 1 year later...
bski238 Newbie
On 3/9/2015 at 2:59 PM, Natalie319 said:

I find this so interesting.

I'm gluten-intolerant. I'm not so sensitive that cross-contamination bothers me. For instance, I can eat fries if they're in the same oil as something else. It won't upset me. But if I eat something with actual gluten, it will.

I ate peanut butter m&ms and I got a bad migraine that night (one of the things that happens to me) and I've had a major stomachache for two days. I haven't had this kind of pain in probably a year. So I know that it can't just be a small cross-contamination issue making me this sick.

There must be something in peanut butter M&Ms that we are also sensitive too, or the company is just oblivious to their ingredients! It's odd that so many of us would get sick off of them.

I have had the exact same issue.  I have not had a migraine for over a year, but tonight I ate some peanut butter m&ms and right away I started having vision flashes, and sure enough, I got a migraine.  Were you ever able to figure out what ingredient caused this?

• 2 years later...
Julesb29 Newbie

Ok, now I know I’m not crazy. Well, not regarding this topic. I have zero problems with gluten EVER. I mean it’s my number one go-to but I get instant gastrointestinal pain and other GI Benefits from eating peanut butter m&m’s. Every time I have eaten them (yep way more than one time. Not so bright this one). Anyway, there may be something in them they shouldn’t be adding to them. ??  I wonder how many people have complained directly to them about this?

• 4 weeks later...
Savy Newbie
On 6/12/2020 at 2:55 PM, Julesb29 said:

Ok, now I know I’m not crazy. Well, not regarding this topic. I have zero problems with gluten EVER. I mean it’s my number one go-to but I get instant gastrointestinal pain and other GI Benefits from eating peanut butter m&m’s. Every time I have eaten them (yep way more than one time. Not so bright this one). Anyway, there may be something in them they shouldn’t be adding to them. ??  I wonder how many people have complained directly to them about this?

I agree! I too have zero problems with gluten and was tested for celiacs , and tested negative. I have been eating the m&m peanut butter candy and started having gastrointestinal problems. At first I thought my symptoms were food poisoning from a fast food burger. My “symptoms” started to go away and Of course, not knowing, I ate more of the m&m’s, (too many).  Well, needless to say gastrointestinal pain and all that goes with it was back with a vengeance. Hard to give them up...they are so addicting...but really not worth all the pain. 

• 3 years later...
Mina S Newbie

For those who don’t know, peanut butter M&Ms are technically gluten-free, but they are produced in facilities that make gluten Mars candies (namely Kit Kats in TN) whereas two flavors Peanut and plain are produced in gluten free facilities).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mina S Newbie
On 1/13/2012 at 10:38 PM, MitziG said:

Everything I have read says they are gluten free. But this is twice in a row now that I have gotten sick within minutes of finishing a bag. Last time I thought it was a fluke. This time, my celiac son and I were munching them in the car, and by the time we got into the store, we both had to go running for the bathroom. I am kind of fortunate in that gluten usually gives me a very quick and noticeable reaction, so I can identify the culprit at least. Are M&M's likely to have been cross contaminated? This has NEVER happened witht he regular ones. Hours later and my stomach is still really hurting. I am never touching them again, that is for sure!

They are cross contaminated a facility that produces Kit Kats. Peanut and plain are ok.

Mina S Newbie
On 1/13/2012 at 10:38 PM, MitziG said:

Everything I have read says they are gluten free. But this is twice in a row now that I have gotten sick within minutes of finishing a bag. Last time I thought it was a fluke. This time, my celiac son and I were munching them in the car, and by the time we got into the store, we both had to go running for the bathroom. I am kind of fortunate in that gluten usually gives me a very quick and noticeable reaction, so I can identify the culprit at least. Are M&M's likely to have been cross contaminated? This has NEVER happened witht he regular ones. Hours later and my stomach is still really hurting. I am never touching them again, that is for sure!

They are cross contaminated a facility that produces Kit Kats. Peanut and plain are ok.

Scott Adams Grand Master
5 hours ago, Mina S said:

If there was a risk of cross-contamination they would be required by law to include "wheat" on their allergen warning, which they don't do. There are lots of soy, nut and other allergens (and sugar) though, so it's possible that people may be sensitive to these other ingredients.

https://www.mms.com/en-us/mms-candy-flavors/peanut-mms-1005oz/ct2155-p.html 

image.png