• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

jay22deb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

My wife, with Celiacs, just had a similar experience. Last night she became ill, and we narrowed down the possible causes to peanut butter M&Ms or salad dressing. Tonight she is again sick, and the only outlier she ate were peanut butter M&Ms. (She has never had problems with regular M&Ms.) She has no history of reacting to peanut butter and related products before. Could Mars be experience a cross-contamination problem??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

heatherjane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Here's a recent M&Ms thread with some helpful info. http://www.celiac.co...opic/90669-mms/
Also, make sure you are checking the label for "May contain wheat".

Sdjoly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I see no one has posted here in a while, but I have a severe gluten sensitivity, had a bag of these M&M's Peanut Butter today and got serious intestinal upset within 3 hours. Just letting everyone know there is still a problem with these. 4 hours later still not doing well....

Cee_CeeC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

I see no one has posted here in a while, but I have a severe gluten sensitivity, had a bag of these M&M's Peanut Butter today and got serious intestinal upset within 3 hours. Just letting everyone know there is still a problem with these. 4 hours later still not doing well....

Same here, but happened with a couple hours today. Wish I would have found this thread earlier -- but lesson learned. Hate when it happens the hard way, though.

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Mars M&Ms clearly marks packaging with allergy information and a "may contain" statement.

Peanut Butter M&Ms do not contain gluten.  If they continue to make you sick you should not eat them.

All the best.

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Natalie319

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

I find this so interesting.

I'm gluten-intolerant. I'm not so sensitive that cross-contamination bothers me. For instance, I can eat fries if they're in the same oil as something else. It won't upset me. But if I eat something with actual gluten, it will.

I ate peanut butter m&ms and I got a bad migraine that night (one of the things that happens to me) and I've had a major stomachache for two days. I haven't had this kind of pain in probably a year. So I know that it can't just be a small cross-contamination issue making me this sick.

There must be something in peanut butter M&Ms that we are also sensitive too, or the company is just oblivious to their ingredients! It's odd that so many of us would get sick off of them.

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

I hardly doubt that Mars is oblivious to their ingredients.  They have a reputation to protect.  Perhaps you are becoming more sensitive and something else you ate earlier upset you, or you have developed additional food sensitivities.  Always check label ingredients.  You're also posting on a thread that's two years old, so you would need to recheck Mars website for up to date info.

Natalie319

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Well, I was mostly joking about the oblivious. My point being there's obviously something going on that we're not seeing.

I definitely have additional sensitivities. I've been going through some pretty extensive allergy testing for allergies/sensitives. That's how I know it's the M&Ms, because I've been on a super strict diet with only foods that have tested "safe," but I did, stupidly, cheat and have the M&Ms. There's nothing else I ate out of the ordinary. But I'm on day 5 of being sick from them, still. A slight amount of gluten has never, ever made me this sick. And I've definitely had accidental mishaps here and there.

And of course I checked the ingredients. I'm very regimented about that for years. I just posted here because I noticed it was clearly a problem for other celiac/gluten intolerants, and wanted to add my experience. It's a strange coincidence. 

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

I was on a very strict diet for months, also.  And, when I could finally have a taste of chocolate it was bad news!  It was months before I was slowly able to eat it again.  Perhaps that is what is happening to you.  

d33dee1988

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

I've been fine with peanut butter m&ms, but I usually prefer to stick with Hershey's brand candy, Endangered Species Chocolate, or Justin's brand since they actually address the issue of gluten directly.

Reeses eggs and the mini reeses cups and any other speciality/holiday shapes are not safe. Only the regular reeses cups are gluten free.

http://www.thehershe...e-products.aspx

Natalie319

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I had been having chocolate (but real chocolate.. cocoa powder, or vegan dark chocolate). It's possible it was the "milk" chocolate issue (however, I'd been having diary without troubles either). It's just so weird but man, 6 days later, and I'm still in pain. If I could turn back time!

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

Mars makes M&M's & here is a link to their allergen policy:

https://www.mms.com/...l/allergen.html

This is the most up to date ingredient list I can find online as i do not have any peanut butter M&M's on hand to actually read the label.

Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Milkfat, Lactose, Peanuts, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavors), Peanut Butter (Partially Defatted Peanuts), Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Less than 2% - Cornstarch, Dextrose, Natural Flavor, Salt, Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring (Includes Red 40 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1, Red 40, Blue2), Propyl Gallate to Maintain Freshness, Gum Acacia. ALLERGY INFORMATION: May contain almonds. 

There are a heck of a lot of ingredients in there. Maybe it's the Propyl Gallate, Gum Acacia, maybe almond contamination -- maybe you've become sensitive to almonds, maybe soy, maybe any of those food colorings. I'm saying I wouldn't be too quick to say they are cc'd with gluten.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: