This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What!?!?!?!?!?

LabyrinthRunner13

LabyrinthRunner13 Rookie

I have been tooling around this site for several weeks now, and I just came across a post that linked gall bladder disease and celiac? Is this serious? Is my celiac the reason that I lost my gall bladder when I was just 22?

That would explain so much....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I have zero scientific evidence to back up this statement - preliminary disclaimer. However, I cannot begin to count the number of posters on this forum who have had gallbladder problems - either gallstones which did require gallbladder removal, or removal of gallbladder in a failed attempt to relieve pain only to be left with the same pain as prior to the surgery. I have also read of posters who had actual gallbladder problems which resolved when they embarked upon a gluten free diet. So whatever the scientific iterature says, there is certainly ample anecdotal evidence on this forum for a positive linkage between apparent gallbladder symptomatology and celiac disease.

Adalaide Mentor

I had problems with my gallbladder for three months before I ended up with a complete blockage and emergency surgery. Because of the complete blockage I also have to have an ERCP to remove the other stone at which time the GI was concerned with what he saw apparently and he did a biopsy. I got a call a week later telling me that they thought I have celiac.

I've read lots about how the two are connected. I suppose I'm just lucky I didn't go several years wondering why I'm so gassy I need to by stock in candle companies. I didn't feel that way immediately and I still have days I cry over little things but I'm beginning to see the brighter side of things.

vb10 Newbie

I am suffering from the celiac disease and I had my gall bladder removed prior to being diagnosed. I have heard about the connection, but nobody ever talks about it. Would be interesting to know.

gluten free overseas Apprentice

Yes, I just had my gallbladder out. I read some literature (medical) that said there was a link between food sensitivities and gallbladder. So it's not just gluten--it could be dairy sensitivity or whatever. It totally makes sense. You have trouble digesting certain foods, your body starts to form gallstones... I mean, doesn't that sound logical??

For some people, it is caused by food sensitivity to whatever food. For others, it's a cholesterol problem that caused it. It's different for different people--that is the gist of what I got from the article.

IrishHeart Veteran

Lost my gall bladder after being ill and in terrible pain from it for a year. I was 26. NO ONE in my family has a gall bladder left --seriously, sister, Mom, sister, cousins, aunts--all gone. And they all have various autoimmune diseases (diabetes, thyroid, crohn's, RA, etc) and gluten sensitivities. Mom and Dad--classic Celiac symptoms.

I am the only DXed Celiac--but that's only because none of them will get tested. :rolleyes: Despite my urging.

I had dozens of symptoms pointing to Celiac most of my life--but was not DXed until I was 54. If I only knew THEN what I know NOW, I would have asked to be tested for celiac disease before they cut me open! <_<

Do I think it is linked?? heck, YES!

Univ. Of Maryland Center for Celiac Research:

What are the long-term effects of Celiac Disease?

Untreated celiac disease can be life threatening. Celiacs are more likely to be afflicted with problems relating to malabsorption, including osteoporosis, tooth enamel defects, central and peripheral nervous system disease, pancreatic disease, internal hemorrhaging, organ disorders (gall bladder, liver, and spleen), and gynecological disorders. Untreated celiac disease has also been linked an increased risk of certain types of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma.

Here is some more literature:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Katrala Contributor

I know nothing regarding what the literature says about this.

However, I had my gallbladder removed at age 25-ish.

I felt like my celiac wasn't really "triggered" until age 29, though, although I could very well be wrong. I had a "losing weight, going downhill" period until diagnosis. Before that I was OK, I guess (compared to the downhill period.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived