19 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

So I'm in the kitchen making supper and my mother-in-law wanders in and notices that I've baked some cookies. She asks if they are ones I can have and I say they are. She then proceeds to tell me how this woman she knows who was her neighbor back in California has some sort of wheat allergy or something (grrr... it is NOT an allergy people!) and that she knew of some way to like.... knead the gluten out of dough or something like that.

My immediate instinct was to begin bashing my face on the counter since it would have been far less painful that the conversation. Luckily I was able to refrain and smile and nod while praying she is incapable of contacting this person. (While my father's family is quite familiar with what I face I doubt my mother will have any better understanding than my husband's mother.)

I'm still dumbfounded by this. I mean how can people... what... huh? :huh: Frustrating as this is I'm sure it will be hilarious in a few days once thinking about it doesn't make me cross-eyed.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 samie

samie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

I understand. My hubby got the kids ice cream when we went to the store last weekend and I reliazed when we met at the register that he got some with gluten. I said I will go get some they can all have and he tried to say it probably only a little gluten.then he said just go get something else. I so wanted to bang my head on something after he said that.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

I don't know if she is old enough for this but this is what I did with my mother & father (tho as frustrating as they can be, they were pretty good about it). I tell them "My doctor says..." Or "The doctor at the Ceiac Center at the Univ of Chicago says..." IF a doc & especially an expert says something, its true.

Of course my doc knows nothing about Celiac. I did read the info on the Chicago website. Sometimes lying isn't a sin. :D

Disclaimer: Please no discussions on the religious or moral implications of my last sentence. ;)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

I met a grandmother of a friend of my youngest son. She proceeded to tell me that she was allergic to wheat. She then said she gave up whole wheat bread and only eats white bread now. DUH!!!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

My immediate instinct was to begin bashing my face on the counter since it would have been far less painful that the conversation.

.... Frustrating as this is I'm sure it will be hilarious in a few days once thinking about it doesn't make me cross-eyed.

:lol:

I, too, have had to refrain from banging my head against the walls after hearing some ridiculous comments such as: "You can have white bread then? It's not WHOLE wheat, right?" :rolleyes:

and YES! soon, this will be hilarious to you---as hilarious it is to me right now. :lol: (really? beat the gluten out?? wouldn't that be great!! )

But, I have had some time to get used to such stupidity.

Naivete and ignorance abounds about celiac and gluten, hon---don't let it get to you And any time you have a chance to educate someone about gluten, go for it. ;) It could be a real bonding moment for you and MIL :) (okay, I almost I choked on that one--given how sweet my MIL was to me :rolleyes: ----may she RIP)

Before I became very ill from celiac back in 2007, I saw a sign for a Gluten Free bakery and I kiddingly said to hubs "what's gluten and why do we need to be free from it?" (and I was a pretty good baker--now, how stupid was that comment??) I was blissfully unaware of what celiac was and that gluten was slowly killing me.

Now I know. <_<

And that cafe is my where I went for moral support from the owner (a celiac) from the day of my DX and where I eat lunch several times a week now.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

I find that I have to refrain from hurting the stupid person standing in front of me. :rolleyes:
Not that I'm a totally violent person. I just would like to stuff the piehole with gluten to make it stop talking.
Michigan

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I find that I have to refrain from hurting the stupid person standing in front of me. :rolleyes:
Not that I'm a totally violent person. I just would like to stuff the piehole with gluten to make it stop talking.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

And any time you have a chance to educate someone about gluten, go for it. ;) It could be a real bonding moment for you and MIL :) .

:lol: :lol:

New house rules - no eating at the computer!! Too much mess on the keyboard!!! :rolleyes:(still cleaning up...)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I find that I have to refrain from hurting the stupid person standing in front of me. :rolleyes:Not that I'm a totally violent person. I just would like to stuff the piehole with gluten to make it stop talking.

I totally share your feelings. :lol:

The bonding thing is hilarious too. The only bonding I wanted to do last night was to bond her lips shut with some super glue so she'd stop.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

:lol: :lol:

New house rules - no eating at the computer!! Too much mess on the keyboard!!! :rolleyes:(still cleaning up...)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

waadisay?? A bonding moment with MIL?? yah, that IS pretty funny.

When I typed those words, I felt like this

Posted Image

Oh, shroomie -----wasn't it you who told me never to DRINK at the computer ?? No food either apparently.... :)

See, ADALAIDE--it's getting more and more hilarious by the minute.

Just blow it off, kiddo....we'll get you through these moments.
;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: waadisay?? A bonding moment with MIL?? yah, that IS pretty funny.When I typed those words, I felt like thisPosted ImageOh, shroomie -----wasn't it you who told me never to DRINK at the computer ?? No food either apparently.... :)See, ADALAIDE--it's getting more and more hilarious by the minute.Just blow it off, kiddo....we'll get you through these moments. ;)

Oh my gosh, that little vomiting guy is great! Yeah, that's pretty much my reaction to bonding moments.

Can't remember the last time someone called me kiddo. :P I'm waaaaay too old for that.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Can't remember the last time someone called me kiddo. :P I'm waaaaay too old for that.

Wait till they start calling you dearie :ph34r: - you might change your mind :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

Wait till they start calling you dearie :ph34r: - you might change your mind :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still have trouble with "ma'am" :rolleyes: ugh

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

You're never too old to be a kiddo! :) It's a term of endearment...just my "thang". 25 years teaching, I guess.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

I've heard the "ma'am" long enough that is miss being called "kiddo".

I love the little puke face!

I'm so glad you agree with my other sentiments. I was starting to get worried about my state of mind lately. :rolleyes:
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: