7 replies to this topic

#1 GFdad0110

GFdad0110

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

My 22 month old some is on a gluten free/lactose free diet. I was wondering if greek yogurt is a no-no for the lactose intolerant diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yes - its a no no, its still cow milk. So my son is also gluten-free/LF - In australia we have two brands of lactose free yogurt that are easy to come by - or else soy yogurt.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have heard that the lactose is sort of " eaten up" to make yogurt. But I don't have this problem so I just found this.

http://digestive.nid...oseintolerance/

Yogurt made with active and live bacterial cultures is a good source of calcium for many people with lactose intolerance. When this type of yogurt enters the intestine, the bacterial cultures convert lactose to lactic acid, so the yogurt may be well-tolerated due to a lower lactose content than yogurt without live cultures. Frozen yogurt does not contain bacterial cultures, so it may not be well-tolerated.

http://www.chobani.com/about/faqs/

I’m lactose intolerant. Can I eat Chobani?
Sensitivity to lactose varies by person, but many people who experience discomfort from lactose can eat Chobani without any negative effects.

This is because Chobani is naturally lower in lactose than regular yogurt due to the straining process we use to make it, which removes much of the lactose from our products.

Also, the probiotic cultures we add our yogurt help to break down lactose so that it’s more easily digested.

http://www.livestron...tose-in-yogurt/

Yogurt has gained a following in the United States as a healthy snack. Since yogurt is a dairy product, it contains lactose. Glucose and galactose bond together to form lactose, or milk sugar. Millions of people throughout the world are lactose intolerant; their bodies do not produce enough lactase, the enzyme necessary to digest lactose. Often lactose-intolerant people can eat yogurt because of the special process that turns milk into yogurt.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 GFdad0110

GFdad0110

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yes - its a no no, its still cow milk. So my son is also gluten-free/LF - In australia we have two brands of lactose free yogurt that are easy to come by - or else soy yogurt.

thanks for the response. My son does eat soy yogurt from time to time. I would like to give him the greek style yogurt because of the good things in it (probiotics, calcium, protein). Have You ever tried to give your son the greek style yogurt? I heard that it is very low in lactose and because of that some of the lactose intolerant crowd can tolerate it.

#5 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Yeah I have, some people can tolerate it - he just cant, there are still other things he can't tolerate which I can't work out...its a minefield - just give it a try I reckon.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#6 Atomal

Atomal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

I have lactose intolerance and Chobani is okay for me

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yeah I have, some people can tolerate it - he just cant, there are still other things he can't tolerate which I can't work out...its a minefield - just give it a try I reckon.

He could also be casein intolerant.  Some people react to casein, a protein in cow dairy.  Lactaid pills and Lactaid milk don't help people with casein intolerance.  Lactose is a sugar in cow dairy and when it isn't digested (broken down) it is available for bacteria to feed on.  The bacteria get real happy and multiply like crazy.  They cause bloating (they make gas) and diahrea.  Casein may cause similar or different symptoms, like pain and bleeding, if he is intolerant to it.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Perhaps you could try making your own using Lactaid Milk which is 100 % lactose free and is what I do in order to have it.

You would need a yogurt maker, and a strainer. There is a strainer called Euro-Cuisine which sells for about $25 and makes Greek style yogurt. As for yogurt makers there are many various ones available to suit personal needs such as making a large quantity at once or making several smaller servings in little jars.

Lactose intolerance levels supposely change over time so it is hard to know exactly how much lactose a person can tolerate at different times in life. My lactose intolerance has worsened but my younger brothers seem to lessen allowing them to eat things they couldn't before. I did have a lactose intolerance test a few years ago in which the lactose intolerance level readin is 20 and mine was 156 so I have to avoid all lactose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: