This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am A Terrible Mother

kaity

kaity Apprentice

my three year old just went gluten and dairy free ten day ago, i still didnt bring him gluten free bread, or speghetti or anything, i tried baking him bread with corn flour and rice four but he didnt like them, i tasted they they had no taste, so i put it back in the oven and put gluten free pizza sauce on it and mushroom, olives, and other stuff for pizza that are gluten and dairy free, he still didnt like it...... for breakfast i was feeding him scrabled eggs with a fork or food that are left over from lunch the day before...... today he would not eat the rice that i have cooked yesterday, he wouldnt eat scrambled eggs, nor hashbrowns, i got so depressed so i did him frenchfries for breakfast for two reasons, first of all he loves it, second of all since it is fried it has alot of callories in it,but he still hardly ate. ever since i put on him on the gluten and dairy free diet he has lost more weight, but at least his belly isnt sticking out like a pregnant woman....... i am so depressed i thought that he was supposed to be getting better by now, his stool is yellow diarrhea

i need your advice i am so depressed

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shannonsumrall Newbie

my three year old just went gluten and dairy free ten day ago, i still didnt bring him gluten free bread, or speghetti or anything, i tried baking him bread with corn flour and rice four but he didnt like them, i tasted they they had no taste, so i put it back in the oven and put gluten free pizza sauce on it and mushroom, olives, and other stuff for pizza that are gluten and dairy free, he still didnt like it...... for breakfast i was feeding him scrabled eggs with a fork or food that are left over from lunch the day before...... today he would not eat the rice that i have cooked yesterday, he wouldnt eat scrambled eggs, nor hashbrowns, i got so depressed so i did him frenchfries for breakfast for two reasons, first of all he loves it, second of all since it is fried it has alot of callories in it,but he still hardly ate. ever since i put on him on the gluten and dairy free diet he has lost more weight, but at least his belly isnt sticking out like a pregnant woman....... i am so depressed i thought that he was supposed to be getting better by now, his stool is yellow diarrhea

Have you tried making him gluten free pancakes or waffles ? How about gluten free sausage, Applegate farms makes an organic chicken/apple gluten free sausage. Do you need ideas for brands that kids like or just the food items ? It's only been 3 days, give yourself some grace and try 1 new item every day.

beebs Enthusiast

It just takes time and practise - seriously- he is 3, soon he will start to feel better and eventually won't even remember what gluten foods are. Make sure you get some good gluten free cookbooks - I

ve been doing it for a year and still have days where I can think of nothing to make!

GFfitgirl Newbie

Kathy,

you are not a terrible mother!!

Cooking gluten-free can be difficult at first especially for kids who can already be picky eaters. My suggestions: First RELAX! Kids can totally sense when we are trying to slip something by them. My son is 6 and knows if I am edging in veggies or trying to disguise food on him. So I find having him join me in the kitchen to be an excellent way to get him excited about eating. Quick meal we often do is getting corn tortillas and having him tear them up into small pieces. If the tortillas are cold they will break just from folding. He thinks its fun, then we brown them slightly in a pan, while those are browning we scramble some eggs and then add to the tortillas. Cook it up. Its not a fancy meal by any means. But it has saved him from going to bed hungry on days I pull a major cooking fail.

Other suggestions: Buy some gluten-free bread you can make french toast sticks. It helps with the odd flavor some of the gluten-free breads have. While adults or older kids might be forgiving on the flavor profile little kids tend to be harsher critics. Of course there are gluten-free waffles if he prefers. My other HUGE life saver at times is cereal...Chex, and now the gluten-free Rice Crispies are popular in our house. My kids also like the EnviroKids carried by most grocery stores. Mostly cause they have animals on the box.

Juliebove Rising Star

He is three. And it is very common for kids of that age to be picky eaters and/or eat the same things day after day. At that age my daughter insisted on black olives and canned green beans (straight from the can, room temp.) at every meal. She would also eat baby carrots and certain fruits if they were cut just right. She liked chicken noodle soup but would only eat it if the noodles were somewhat large. She would carefully pick the noodles out and avoid the rest. She would also eat breakfast sausages and macaroni and cheese. I realize that macaroni and cheese isn't an option for you. But you might look into one of the gluten-free vegan options. There is Say Cheez, which I do like. And Macaroni and Chreese which my daughter liked but it is too mustardy for me. We can no longer use those because they have something in them that my daughter is allergic to. I can't remember now what it is. Peas or lentils.

What I did with my daughter at that age was take her grocery shopping with me. I would let her pick things to eat. I stuck to the produce and meat departments for that. That way she wasn't just picking junk food. I found she was more willing to try things if she had picked them out.

You might try gluten-free rice cakes or crackers. My daughter likes those. I do not. She also likes hummus and that can go well with either one. Peanut butter works well too if he can have that. One thing my daughter loved before she developed the nut allergy was a tortilla coated with peanut butter and jelly and rolled up around a banana. You could use corn tortillas, gluten-free tortillas if you can find them or Teff wraps.

maximoo Enthusiast

There are many threads on this forum with a plethora of ideas for picky eaters. Take a little time to read them & you will find many ideas.

I would also suggest to make a list of what he does like to eat then find the gluten free way to make it. Pamela's flour can be used for all sorts of baking, cookies, pancakes, etc. Let your boy help you in the kitchen by gathering, pouring & stirring.

Good luck!

kaity Apprentice

There are many threads on this forum with a plethora of ideas for picky eaters. Take a little time to read them & you will find many ideas.

I would also suggest to make a list of what he does like to eat then find the gluten free way to make it. Pamela's flour can be used for all sorts of baking, cookies, pancakes, etc. Let your boy help you in the kitchen by gathering, pouring & stirring.

Good luck!

that is the problem, i am currently out of the country, and where i live now there is nothing gluten and dairy free, every time i go to a supermarket and ask them if they have guten and dairy free cookies, muffins, cake mixes or anything.. they look at me like i am crazy or something, my neighbor said that there is a store that might have those stuff about 2-3 hours away, i am going to get them when i have a chance, and when i do i am going to get in large amounts.......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I have a super picky 3 year old too - drives me crazy! Some stuff that has worked for us ... Udi's bread has by far been his favorite. We do grilled "cheese" sandwiches with Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese for the cheese. Van's waffles, Applegate Farms hotdogs, and like someone else said the Envirokids cereals (he just likes it dry). I also make the sensory muffins from the ADHD and Autism Cookbook - I sneak pureed veggies and mashed beans in them. The banana bread from the Spunky Coconut website is amazing - I actually like it better than the gluten version. Also check out www.elanaspantry.com - I just discovered her website and in fact have her snickerdoodles in the oven as we speak. Most of her recipes are really easy and very high in protein.

I promise it gets easier! At first it was completely overwhelming for us but it did get better. If you have to give him french fries for breakfast while you figure out what else to give him, do it and don't give it another thought. :)

researchmomma Contributor

You aren't a terrible mother. If you were, you wouldn't be posting and frantically trying to figure out what your child will eat. You are feeling overwhelmed because you have a sick child that has to have a specific diet and you can't find anything he eat and you feel limited. It will get better. You are in the right place.

What country are you in? If you are in Europe (I lived there for 2 years) you need to go to the Pharmacy. That is where they keep their gluten-free foods. I would also try www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com

My daughter is a picky eater but loves her breads and other recipes.

I agree with another poster who said to relax. You should put good foods in front of him and then busy yourself in the kitchen while he eats. Like it is no big deal and you expect him to eat the food. If you are stressed out and he senses that he has power by not eating, he will not eat. Or he may not feel like eating from being so sick. If you need to stick to fruits, veggies and meats for a few days, that will be a start. French fries are fine and actually not a bad food for him right now. You can make your own chicken nuggets by blending some flours if you think he would like that. There are loads of things you can do. Make sure he drinks plenty of liquids but AFTER the meal. I know you are desperate but search the forum and hang in there. It will be ok and since he isn't eating gluten, things will improve.

It is a terrible feeling to not be able to nourish your child but you are not a bad mother.

MitziG Enthusiast

You are NOT a terrible mother! The gluten free diet is HARD, and feeding toddlers who AREN'T Celiac is challenging.

I would advise you not to worry about finding gluten free specialty products. Prepared foods are not the healthiest choice anyway. Stick with things that are naturally gluten free, and toddler friendly- cut up fruits and veggies, applesauce, eggs, French fries are not the worst thing ever- and if you slice up potatoes yourself and make them they will be healthier! Sweet potato fries are more nutritious, and pretty kid friendly as well- if there is resistance, put a little brown sugar on them. Most kids like baked beans, and MOST canned varieties are gluten free. There are also several varieties of gluten and dairy free puddings and cheese available, though you may have to do a bit of looking around to find them in your area. Don't make things more complicated than you have to right now.

mommida Enthusiast

There is also gluten withdrawal or the tastebud adjustment period. We can get just miserable adjusting to a gluten free diet.

i suggest mashing up potato chips and cover chicken strips to make chicken nuggets. Use any add in you like, but do not add any more salt. Bake in the oven until done.

Start offering more fruit and veggies. *Important right now cause constipation can be a very serious issue on a gluten-free diet, and could be the cause of decreased appetite too.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Honestly, we don't eat much that could contain gluten. My daughter, not yet quite 2, eats what we eat - last night that was lentil soup. She had eggs this morning, but wasnt terribly interested in them, and ate more fruit (cherries and apple), than anything. She also had a piece of cheese. For lunch, we will have some leftover soup, maybe a rice cake (with nut butter, if she likes, though she tends to prefer that on tortillas). And dinner may well be hamburgers wrapped in lettuce, with cut up tomatoes, and sweet potato fries. Or maybe beans, as she likes those too. She will probably snack on some dried fruit and carrots with hummus during the afternoon as well.

While kids can be quite picky, depending on the kid and their taste, there are lots and lots and lots of naturally gluten free foods, and lots of different ways to cook them. Keep trying to offer the same foods, many days in a row (I've heard you have to offer new foo sometimes five times before they will try it).

GFdad0110 Apprentice

I have 2 kids, my son (22 months) is gluten free and lactose free, I must admit he is not to much of a picky eater. My daughter (5 years old) on the other hand, that has no food allergies, is a very picky eater. She pretty much lives off of peanut butter sandwiches every single night sometimes lunch too and pancakes. I love too cook so it sometimes drives me crazy. I told her she could have anything she wanted for dinner for her 5th birthday and she chose peanut butter. Oh well I think with the picky eaters we have to just give them what they will eat as long as its some what healthy along with a multi vitamin.

domesticactivist Collaborator

You are a wonderful mother! You have found out what is wrong and are doing your best for your child. French fries for breakfast every now and then won't hurt him in the long run. Gluten will. You are doing the right thing.

He doesn't need cakes, cookies, pastas and what not. You are not a bad person for not having found those substitute foods. Our family found that we are actually much better off without them. Baking gluten-free takes practice. Can you get coconut flour where you are?You use it very differently than wheat flour, but lots of great treats can be made with it, and it is less likely to be cross-contaminated than a lot of the other naturally gluten free substitute flours.

Does your child like pancakes or crepes? If he is able to eat eggs you can mix eggs very thoroughly and cook them like pancakes. Top with a bit of honey or fruit and yogurt and you have a great breakfast. (We like to add baked squash and nutbutter to the eggs and then cook that up crepe style for extra nutrition!)

Our kids were picky eaters, especially our daughter. We did the GAPS diet which has no grains at all and they did adjust and now love to eat all kinds of foods we offer. (Mostly meat, broth and vegetables!

I know how it is to feel like a failure as a mother when your child is ill or doesn't eat. Don't let those thoughts take over. It'll get better!

faithforlife Apprentice

I started out with lots of raw fruits n veggies. Trying to find the gluten-free stuff in the store would literally leave me weeping. Take it one day at a time! I order lots on amazon. Com. Cereal pastas macaroni n cheese soups baking mixes. You must try the Pamela's bread mix it's the best taste and price! All my kids absolutely love it!

MariahHealthNut Newbie

You are not a horrible mom. I am a good/healthy cook and I am still struggling with this no gluten thing. I know a couple things that might help. One is that gluten is addictive. He might still be craving it. He might need time, a month even. The other is that it takes 10 to 20 tries easily to get toddlers and preschoolers to eat new foods. Hang in there. Use high quality oils for french fries and maybe switch to sweet potatoes. His tummy probably hurts. Ginger helps. Hit the whole foods and buy a bunch of gluten free cookies. They usually are made with good stuff! Maple syrup, organic oats, raisens....forgot how to spell raisons. Ha! Blame it on the gluten. :)

MariahHealthNut Newbie

My mistake, I just read that you don't have access to gluten free products. That's why Moved back to Austin. In that case, I am also allergic to dairy and do some travelling. Its not easy. Consider ordering from the internet maybe.

kareng Grand Master

You are not a horrible mom. I am a good/healthy cook and I am still struggling with this no gluten thing. I know a couple things that might help. One is that gluten is addictive. He might still be craving it. He might need time, a month even. The other is that it takes 10 to 20 tries easily to get toddlers and preschoolers to eat new foods. Hang in there. Use high quality oils for french fries and maybe switch to sweet potatoes. His tummy probably hurts. Ginger helps. Hit the whole foods and buy a bunch of gluten free cookies. They usually are made with good stuff! Maple syrup, organic oats, raisens....forgot how to spell raisons. Ha! Blame it on the gluten. :)

Because oats are very similar to gluten, some Celiacs react to them like they do to wheat. It is usually advised not to eat them until you have the gluten-free diet under control and are feeling better.

Carry on with the rest of the suggestions. :)

MariahHealthNut Newbie

I did not know that. I am fairly new to this. Thanks.

Archived