10 replies to this topic

#1 Duhlina

Duhlina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

I feel so bad. My dad knows all about my gluten issues (yet he won't get tested himself). Anyway, last night he called me and told me he made meatloaf and made an extra one and wanted to bring it down for us for dinner. I asked if it had any bread in it. His response? "Yes, I put a tiny amount of Italian bread crumbs in it, but it's not enough to bother you." I seriously almost lost it. I said I was sorry, but there was NO WAY I was eating it, that ANY amount would bother me and I can't have ANY bread crumbs, bread, gluten, etc.! I feel really bad for having to tell him I wouldn't eat it, but geez.....he KNOWS that I can't eat that!

I guess it just goes to show no matter how vigilant we are some people just won't get it. <sigh>

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

I feel so bad. My dad knows all about my gluten issues (yet he won't get tested himself). Anyway, last night he called me and told me he made meatloaf and made an extra one and wanted to bring it down for us for dinner. I asked if it had any bread in it. His response? "Yes, I put a tiny amount of Italian bread crumbs in it, but it's not enough to bother you." I seriously almost lost it. I said I was sorry, but there was NO WAY I was eating it, that ANY amount would bother me and I can't have ANY bread crumbs, bread, gluten, etc.! I feel really bad for having to tell him I wouldn't eat it, but geez.....he KNOWS that I can't eat that!

I guess it just goes to show no matter how vigilant we are some people just won't get it. <sigh>

I hear this type of thing all the time from my mom...I've read some good analogies on this forum but can't remember them this morning. Fellow Celiacs and Gluten-Intolerants...what say you?!

#3 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

(Love your kitty! Mine sits like that on the exercise bike!)

#4 curlyfries

curlyfries

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

I hear this type of thing all the time from my mom...I've read some good analogies on this forum but can't remember them this morning. Fellow Celiacs and Gluten-Intolerants...what say you?!

I've seen people compare it to poop. Would you eat it if there was just a little poop in it?.....or how about arsenic?.....oh, come on, it's just a little! ;)
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#5 samie

samie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

I know how that goes. I heard it from someone recently to.

#6 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm sorry you had to tell your Dad that. I think we've all experienced some type of situation like this. My sister asked me if I'd ever be able to not worry about CC when I heal. I also had a pharmacist to say the company is "reasonablly" sure it didn't contain gluten. I said if I were a diabetic, would you say, I'm reasonably sure it doesn't contain sugar? It's a learning process for not only ourselves, but our family. Hang in there, hopefully he will understand soon.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

I say it is like poison. Is a little bit of poison okay? Nope!

I also have been known to call it my kryptonite. And sugergirl can't fly when krytonite is around. :lol:

Hon, your Dad does not "get it" because he just does not know WHY a small amount of gluten does damage.

Many people think this way about gluten--they think it has to be a large amount to cause a problem. They do not understand the autoimmune component.

Maybe you need to give him some info to read so he can understand? Then, talk about it with him (calmly) so he gets it. :) Took me a while with my Mom--and I gave her things to read and sometimes, I had to repeat stuff to her---but she gets it :) (and now, she is gluten-free too, BTW.)

Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 newlifeforme

newlifeforme

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

My dad offered me a beer...

#9 Scotslass

Scotslass

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

:blink: lol..I think Dads are the worse. I have had coeliacs for 9 years and he still offers me biscuits and sandwiches.. And he's an ex nurse for goodness sake..

I ask him if he really wants to poison me and see me puke all over his shoes..
The Best Things in Life Aren't Things

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

My dad offered me a beer...

That one's forgivable as he may not have realized about the malt. :) Plus, some people do not associate gluten with liquids. :lol:

Did you tell him to stock you some Bard's??? :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

We just had elevenses with friends. Anne told me she woke up in the middle of the night realizing I am gluten intolerant, so she got up and made CORNbread this morning. :unsure: I told her "you're going to hate me, but I'm sorry, I can't eat that either -- but hubs CAN :D (I had a cookie with me :) ) She asked me what flours I could eat :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009