28 replies to this topic

#1 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

I guess that this is the best place to post this request.

I'm looking for any recipes that you enjoy making for yourself or for your families or even your friends. There's not a recipe that I'm looking for in particular, just ones that you like as CDers.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hello, I posted a cinnamon cookie recipe in the Gluten-Free Recipes section, and there is a good recipe for a white chocolate cheesecake someone posted not too long ago too. That might be a good place to check out on a regualr basis. Also the baking section often has recipes too.

Good Luck,
Kathleen
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 soul04

soul04

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:23 AM

It looks like those two sections have been combined, and that's where we are ;)

Filititi, do you have a sweet tooth or are you a meat and potatoes kind of person?

#4 HSWade

HSWade

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:54 PM

My wife wanted a biscuit that would work for Sausage and egg or for butter and jelly. I cam up with this one.

Cheryle's Biscuits

2 Cups Tapioca Flour
1/2 Cup White Rice Flour
1/2 Cup Quinoa Flour
3 Tsp Xanthan Gum
3 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
~1/3 Cup Crisco Shortening
~1 & 1/2 Cups Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add the Crisco and cut it into the dry ingredients until it is evenly dispersed. Begin pouring in the buttermilk and mixing until the dough reaches a solid consistency. Only use that amount which you need to get the right consistency.

Powder hands with rice flour and knead the dough until it is solid and no longer full of pores. (If necessary, add more buttermilk, if too sloppy add more rice flour. This is a touchy/feely aspect of baking with non wheat flours. Practice makes perfect.) Dust the rolling cloth, place the dough ball on it and roll the dough into a 3/4 inch structure.

Use the biscuit cutter to produce 12 to 15 biscuits; place each on a greased biscuit tin. Baste each with buttermilk. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top.

#5 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:10 PM

Dear Soul04,

I can do both. I enjoy cooking (baking, whatever) sweets for work and friends. At home, I don't eat much in the way of sweets. Any recipes that you enjoy will work.

Thanks!

#6 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:13 PM

This is one of my favorites

Rice Pizza
Copyright 1995-2003
Scott Adams.

This recipe comes to us from Mireille Cote.

Crust:
3 cups cooked rice
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup grated gluten-free Mozzarella cheese

Topping:
2 cans (each 8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup grated gluten-free Mozzarella cheese
tsp. each oregano, basil, garlic powder and salt
2 Tbsp. grated gluten-free Parmesan cheese

Crust: Combine rice, eggs and cheese and press into 12-inch greased pizza pan or 2 (9-inch) pans. Spread evenly with a spatula. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.

Topping: Combine sauce and seasonings and spread over rice crust. Top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer. Cut into wedges. Serves 6. Note: You may use your favorite gluten free pizza sauce instead of making it if you desire.

#7 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:53 PM

Would love to share favorite gluten-free recipes, but how do we put them in the Recipe File where they can be made copy friendly? ;)

#8 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

I posted my favorite bread in the bread section. Yum!

#9 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:13 AM

Here is my favorite recipe from Lynn Rae's book so far. It has a flavor to it but if you want it plain I'm sure just omitting the onion flakes would be fine.
Cheddar and Onion Bread

3/4 c. eggs ( 4 lg. eggs minus 1 yolk)
1 cup bottled water
1 tsp. cider vinegar
2 T. veg. oil
2 T. honey
Place above ingred. in bread maker.
Add:
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 c tapioca starch flour
1/2. cornstarch
3/4 cup quinoa flour (the first time I made this bread I couldn't find the flour so I ground up quinoa flakes in my coffee grinder,I have since found the flour.)
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp instant onion flakes ( it called for two but I like just one)
2 1/2 tsp yeast
Add in 1 cup grated sharp cheese.
Set your machine for 1 1/2 lb loaf.
When finished baking cool on a wire rack until cool. I wait a full hour. Then I slice and eat what I want. The remaining bread I slice and freeze. I put waxed paper between the slices. Then I wrap the pile in a piece of foil and then put in a freezer baggie.
I hope you like it as much as I did!!

#10 jusright

jusright

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

Dear HS Wade and Jenni,
With the biscuits, have you made them with any other flour blend? I've never used quinoa flour?? Same question with the bread recipe!? Live in small town. Never seen this flour here. Thanks, Jean ;)

#11 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:10 PM

The Cheddar Onion Bread sounds great. Have you ever tried it without using your bread machine? I gave mine away because it didn't work right with any of the gluten-free recipes that I'd tried...it was really old.

Thanks!

Fil

#12 HSWade

HSWade

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:42 AM

I think Tapioca flour needs to be mixed with other flours just to improve its finished product texture; it's not a flour that produces a fluffy biscuit at all. I chose Quinoa flour because of its "Nutty taste".

You could just use 1 cup of White Rice Flour with the two cups of Tapioca and it would be fine I think.

Don't be afraid to experiment; I baked about 10 different recipes before I finalized by Tapioca Biscuit recipe, and, I am trying something else with that recipe today...

I am baking biscuits today using Lactose free milk in place of buttermilk as an experiment for those who are lactose intolerant. I'll add a tbsp of vinegar to the milk first to imitate buttermilk. I am hoping this produces a tasty biscuit as well and will let this Message Board know how it turns out.

I have enjoyed answering all the e-mails sent my way. It has been nice meeting you all.

Have a nice day.

#13 Anne Downs

Anne Downs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:00 AM

gluten-free and Lactose and sugar free pancakes:
2/3 c garbanzo -Fava bean flour mix
1/4 c sweet sorghum flour
1/3 c cornstarch
3/4 c tapioca flour
1/2tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp baking powder
dash of salt (optional)
2 tbsp safflower or canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. organic soy milk

mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients and combine
beating with spoon until most of the lumps are gone
cook on griddle at c. 375 degrees

light and delicious--I serve with butter and maple syrup
and sometimes add pecans to the batter

#14 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:37 AM

PLain and simple but YUMMY! French TOast

3 eggs
1/2 cup milk(or milk substitute)
1/4 teaspoon cinammon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg(I leave that out :))
8 pieces day old gluten-free Bread

Wisk together eggs milk and spices. Heat a non stick Griddle to 350-375 dip bread in egg mix.
Put bread on griddle cook until lightly browned

I have this for breakfast almost every morning it is so flavorfulL!!!!!! :0

Yummy pizza crust

1 packet of yeast
3/4 cup milk room temp.
1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 salt
1/4 cup shortening

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine yeast and milk. Stir to dissolve yeast. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and shortening, mix well.
To dry ingredients, slowly add milk/yeast mix. Mix well. Dough will look wet, thick, and pasty but it is quite workable if you spray your hands with non-stick spray this is a sort dough. Roll or pat out dough onto a lightly greased baking tin or pizza pan. For a thick crust pat dough to 1/3 inch thickness. For a thin crust pat dough to 1/8 thickness. A 12 in. Circle will produce a "hand-tossed" thickness- not too thick, not to thin. Top as desired. Bake 15-25 minutes, until crust is lightly browned, Use a spatuala to lift up pizza to check for light browning on the bottom of the crust the first time you make it

This pizza is really easy and fast to make. It's simple but tastes GREAT e-mail me if you want more recepies
Molly

#15 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 01:50 PM

CHOCOLATE ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups egg whites (approx. 8 or 9 large eggs)
1 Tblsp. water
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cornstarch, potato starch, cocoa, xanthan gum, 3/4 c. sugar and salt. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat until frothy. Continue beating and slowly add 1/3 c. sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture by hand until well blended. Spoon batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Press batter down slightly to remove any large air spaces. Bake 35-40 minutes, until light brown and springs back to touch. Invert pan over glass bottle to cool. When cool, remove from pan and frost as desired.

Have made this several times, and it is well liked by the entire family although only my grandson is Celiac. Would like to know if anyone has tried making an angel food cake in regular round cake pans. It's difficult to decorate an angel food cake for a birthday. Thanks for the shared recipes and hints! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: