This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Want To Share Good Gf Recipes?

filititi

filititi Apprentice

I guess that this is the best place to post this request.

I'm looking for any recipes that you enjoy making for yourself or for your families or even your friends. There's not a recipe that I'm looking for in particular, just ones that you like as CDers.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

Hello, I posted a cinnamon cookie recipe in the Gluten-Free Recipes section, and there is a good recipe for a white chocolate cheesecake someone posted not too long ago too. That might be a good place to check out on a regualr basis. Also the baking section often has recipes too.

Good Luck,

Kathleen

• 3 weeks later...
soul04 Apprentice

It looks like those two sections have been combined, and that's where we are ;)

Filititi, do you have a sweet tooth or are you a meat and potatoes kind of person?

HSWade Newbie

My wife wanted a biscuit that would work for Sausage and egg or for butter and jelly. I cam up with this one.

Cheryle's Biscuits

2 Cups Tapioca Flour

1/2 Cup White Rice Flour

1/2 Cup Quinoa Flour

3 Tsp Xanthan Gum

3 Tsp Baking Powder

1/2 Tsp Baking Soda

1 Tsp Salt

~1/3 Cup Crisco Shortening

~1 & 1/2 Cups Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add the Crisco and cut it into the dry ingredients until it is evenly dispersed. Begin pouring in the buttermilk and mixing until the dough reaches a solid consistency. Only use that amount which you need to get the right consistency.

Powder hands with rice flour and knead the dough until it is solid and no longer full of pores. (If necessary, add more buttermilk, if too sloppy add more rice flour. This is a touchy/feely aspect of baking with non wheat flours. Practice makes perfect.) Dust the rolling cloth, place the dough ball on it and roll the dough into a 3/4 inch structure.

Use the biscuit cutter to produce 12 to 15 biscuits; place each on a greased biscuit tin. Baste each with buttermilk. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top.

filititi Apprentice

Dear Soul04,

I can do both. I enjoy cooking (baking, whatever) sweets for work and friends. At home, I don't eat much in the way of sweets. Any recipes that you enjoy will work.

Thanks!

filititi Apprentice

This is one of my favorites

Rice Pizza

Copyright

Jo Ann Apprentice

Would love to share favorite gluten-free recipes, but how do we put them in the Recipe File where they can be made copy friendly? ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenni Newbie

I posted my favorite bread in the bread section. Yum!

jenni Newbie

Here is my favorite recipe from Lynn Rae's book so far. It has a flavor to it but if you want it plain I'm sure just omitting the onion flakes would be fine.

Cheddar and Onion Bread

3/4 c. eggs ( 4 lg. eggs minus 1 yolk)

1 cup bottled water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

2 T. veg. oil

2 T. honey

Place above ingred. in bread maker.

Add:

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 c tapioca starch flour

1/2. cornstarch

3/4 cup quinoa flour (the first time I made this bread I couldn't find the flour so I ground up quinoa flakes in my coffee grinder,I have since found the flour.)

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup dry milk powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp instant onion flakes ( it called for two but I like just one)

2 1/2 tsp yeast

Add in 1 cup grated sharp cheese.

Set your machine for 1 1/2 lb loaf.

When finished baking cool on a wire rack until cool. I wait a full hour. Then I slice and eat what I want. The remaining bread I slice and freeze. I put waxed paper between the slices. Then I wrap the pile in a piece of foil and then put in a freezer baggie.

I hope you like it as much as I did!!

jusright Newbie

Dear HS Wade and Jenni,

With the biscuits, have you made them with any other flour blend? I've never used quinoa flour?? Same question with the bread recipe!? Live in small town. Never seen this flour here. Thanks, Jean ;)

filititi Apprentice

The Cheddar Onion Bread sounds great. Have you ever tried it without using your bread machine? I gave mine away because it didn't work right with any of the gluten-free recipes that I'd tried...it was really old.

Thanks!

Fil

HSWade Newbie

I think Tapioca flour needs to be mixed with other flours just to improve its finished product texture; it's not a flour that produces a fluffy biscuit at all. I chose Quinoa flour because of its "Nutty taste".

You could just use 1 cup of White Rice Flour with the two cups of Tapioca and it would be fine I think.

Don't be afraid to experiment; I baked about 10 different recipes before I finalized by Tapioca Biscuit recipe, and, I am trying something else with that recipe today...

I am baking biscuits today using Lactose free milk in place of buttermilk as an experiment for those who are lactose intolerant. I'll add a tbsp of vinegar to the milk first to imitate buttermilk. I am hoping this produces a tasty biscuit as well and will let this Message Board know how it turns out.

I have enjoyed answering all the e-mails sent my way. It has been nice meeting you all.

Have a nice day.

• 3 weeks later...
Anne Downs Newbie

gluten-free and Lactose and sugar free pancakes:

2/3 c garbanzo -Fava bean flour mix

1/4 c sweet sorghum flour

1/3 c cornstarch

3/4 c tapioca flour

1/2tsp xanthan gum

1 tbsp baking powder

dash of salt (optional)

2 tbsp safflower or canola oil

1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

2 eggs

1 3/4 c. organic soy milk

mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients and combine

beating with spoon until most of the lumps are gone

cook on griddle at c. 375 degrees

light and delicious--I serve with butter and maple syrup

and sometimes add pecans to the batter

flagbabyds Collaborator

PLain and simple but YUMMY! French TOast

3 eggs

1/2 cup milk(or milk substitute)

1/4 teaspoon cinammon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg(I leave that out :))

8 pieces day old gluten-free Bread

Wisk together eggs milk and spices. Heat a non stick Griddle to 350-375 dip bread in egg mix.

Put bread on griddle cook until lightly browned

I have this for breakfast almost every morning it is so flavorfulL!!!!!! :0

Yummy pizza crust

1 packet of yeast

3/4 cup milk room temp.

1/2 cup potato starch

3/4 cup cornstarch

1 tablespoon xanthan gum

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 salt

1/4 cup shortening

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine yeast and milk. Stir to dissolve yeast. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and shortening, mix well.

To dry ingredients, slowly add milk/yeast mix. Mix well. Dough will look wet, thick, and pasty but it is quite workable if you spray your hands with non-stick spray this is a sort dough. Roll or pat out dough onto a lightly greased baking tin or pizza pan. For a thick crust pat dough to 1/3 inch thickness. For a thin crust pat dough to 1/8 thickness. A 12 in. Circle will produce a "hand-tossed" thickness- not too thick, not to thin. Top as desired. Bake 15-25 minutes, until crust is lightly browned, Use a spatuala to lift up pizza to check for light browning on the bottom of the crust the first time you make it

This pizza is really easy and fast to make. It's simple but tastes GREAT e-mail me if you want more recepies

Jo Ann Apprentice

CHOCOLATE ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1/4 c. cornstarch

1/4 c. potato starch

1/4 c. cocoa

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 cups egg whites (approx. 8 or 9 large eggs)

1 Tblsp. water

1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp. vanilla flavoring

1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cornstarch, potato starch, cocoa, xanthan gum, 3/4 c. sugar and salt. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat until frothy. Continue beating and slowly add 1/3 c. sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture by hand until well blended. Spoon batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Press batter down slightly to remove any large air spaces. Bake 35-40 minutes, until light brown and springs back to touch. Invert pan over glass bottle to cool. When cool, remove from pan and frost as desired.

Have made this several times, and it is well liked by the entire family although only my grandson is Celiac. Would like to know if anyone has tried making an angel food cake in regular round cake pans. It's difficult to decorate an angel food cake for a birthday. Thanks for the shared recipes and hints! :)

Jo Ann Apprentice

Jenni - didn't see your name on any of the bread recipes on file. Which is the bread recipe you recommend? Is it from Lyn Rae Rie? Have been trying to locate her book at the library, but without luck. Don't want to order at the bookstore unless I'm sure my grandson would like the bread. He would like plain white, soft bread, but so far my breads are heavy and dry. Have been using various Hagman recipes, but the result isn't that great. Has anyone tried Karen's Amranth bread recipe? Thanks for your input!

flagbabyds Collaborator

My mom makes a great light bread with healthy flours and it is the best gluten-free bread I have ever had, e-mail me if you want to recepie

debmidge Rising Star

:D Being the wife of a "newbie of 11/03" I am always looking for receipes. My husband is so depressed he has no interest. He was depressed before the diagnosis, and Dr. said that he has probably had celiac disease from when he first got sick at age 27; he's now 53. All four gastros he's seen over the past 25 or so years said IBS, spastic colon, colitis, illietius, Irritable bowel, or see a psychiatrist! I suppose he has much villi damage. He cannot tolerate: fruits, vegetables, soy, amaranth flour, herbs and spices. Much of this goes back to his original IBS diet as he felt somewhat better eliminating fruits & vegetables. Problem: due to new celiac disease diet he has much constipation (rice flour, etc.) as he has eliminated wheat and oat bran. Is there such as thing as corn bran, somewhat like wheat bran? Where does one go for that? Also, I would like to have a receipe for a good hamburger bun: soy flour and aramanth flour cannot be used, but egg, butter and corn oil is ok. I tried using gluten-free Pantry's french bread and the outcome was too crumbly. Q: Is anyone else plagued by IBS symptoms as well as celiac disease? Has anyone else gone into a celiac disease diagnosis with fruit & vegetable restrictions and was able to tolerate fruits & vegetables after being on celiac disease diet for a while? I'm looking for some hope here.

DebMidge the wife

GFdoc Apprentice

DebMidge - Is your husband able to tolerate oats? the newer research says that pure oats are OK for most people. I eat a big bowl of oatmeal each morning, and that gives me a good amount of fiber. Try ground up seeds/nuts in flour (such as almond flour). I eat my burgers bunless (don't need the extra calories), but maybe you could try the sandwich rolls that I posted in this forum yesterday....they're a little small for a burger, but you can just make them bigger. They have a lot of eggs and oil, and are very moist. Good luck. Sara

Pinned: Sandwich Roll Recipe (sorry I don't know how to get this to link directly!)

tammy Community Regular

Hi GFdoc,

I have heard that pure oatmeal is okay for most people. Who are the 'most people" (I am Gluten Sensitive) Does McCann's oatmeal qualify as pure? If not, where does one find pure oatmeal?

Thanks ahead of time!

Guest aramgard

DebMidge, If you have Hagman's first book, "The Gluten Free Gourmet", there is a recipe for Tapioca bread on page 61. It uses rice flour and tapioca flour and makes wonderful hamburger buns. I use English muffin rings on a cookie sheet to make my hamburger buns and her recipe works out perfectly, toasts up really well and does not crumble. Even my gluten free, non Celiac husband likes them. Shirley

GFdoc Apprentice

Tammy - My sources at the Univ. Of Chicago Celiac Program told me oats are OK for people with Celiac. There are people with Celiac who say that oats make them ill - maybe they are super sensitive or have additional food intolerances.

I've seen people on the Board say McCann's Oatmeal is gluten-free, I use Quaker Oats (when I called the company I was satisfied with the response they gave me, and I use them with no obvious negative effect - we'll see what my antibody follow up tests show )

When I need oat flour for a recipe, I grind my own from the plain Quaker Oats tub -

I don't buy or eat any premade foods that contain oats or oat products - because we don't know how those oats were processed.

I would try out eating oats for a while and see if you notice any ill effects (maybe check with your doctor first)

Sara

flagbabyds Collaborator

I had McAnns oatmeal right before I had the rebiopsy and they said everything was fine after the oats ans Quaker oats i have not gotten sick from

• 4 weeks later...
jenni Newbie

JoAnn, Yes, the recipe was from Lyn Rae Ries's book. Does your library offer an inner library loan system? Whenever I can't find a book at my library I go to the desk and they look in their computer in the network of libraries that they belong to. They then request to borrow a book from the library that has one in stock. It has almost never failed me. Yes, I tried the Karens Amaranth bread. It went into the trash can. It smelled really bad and tasted worse. I'm going to try the challah bread that someone posted - it sounds like it will be good. Jenni

• 2 weeks later...
Jo Ann Apprentice

Jenni, our local library finally located a copy of Lyn Rae Rie's book, but they want $10 just to loan it out. Is there a plain white bread recipe in it that you have found makes a good bread? The last mix I used was Bob's Red Mill white bread, but my grandson didn't like the bean & sorgham flour taste, and I can't blame him. Hate to buy a book for one recipe. He just wants a white bread for school sandwiches. Asked him about the cheese bread, but he didn't think that sounded very good to him. You know how kids can be! Appreciate finding out the Amranth Bread wasn't good before trying that one. If anyone has any good ideas. I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks! Jo Ann

Archived