28 replies to this topic

#16 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:40 PM

Jenni - didn't see your name on any of the bread recipes on file. Which is the bread recipe you recommend? Is it from Lyn Rae Rie? Have been trying to locate her book at the library, but without luck. Don't want to order at the bookstore unless I'm sure my grandson would like the bread. He would like plain white, soft bread, but so far my breads are heavy and dry. Have been using various Hagman recipes, but the result isn't that great. Has anyone tried Karen's Amranth bread recipe? Thanks for your input!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:42 PM

My mom makes a great light bread with healthy flours and it is the best gluten-free bread I have ever had, e-mail me if you want to recepie
Molly

#18 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:23 AM

:D Being the wife of a "newbie of 11/03" I am always looking for receipes. My husband is so depressed he has no interest. He was depressed before the diagnosis, and Dr. said that he has probably had celiac disease from when he first got sick at age 27; he's now 53. All four gastros he's seen over the past 25 or so years said IBS, spastic colon, colitis, illietius, Irritable bowel, or see a psychiatrist! I suppose he has much villi damage. He cannot tolerate: fruits, vegetables, soy, amaranth flour, herbs and spices. Much of this goes back to his original IBS diet as he felt somewhat better eliminating fruits & vegetables. Problem: due to new celiac disease diet he has much constipation (rice flour, etc.) as he has eliminated wheat and oat bran. Is there such as thing as corn bran, somewhat like wheat bran? Where does one go for that? Also, I would like to have a receipe for a good hamburger bun: soy flour and aramanth flour cannot be used, but egg, butter and corn oil is ok. I tried using gluten-free Pantry's french bread and the outcome was too crumbly. Q: Is anyone else plagued by IBS symptoms as well as celiac disease? Has anyone else gone into a celiac disease diagnosis with fruit & vegetable restrictions and was able to tolerate fruits & vegetables after being on celiac disease diet for a while? I'm looking for some hope here.

DebMidge the wife
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#19 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:07 AM

DebMidge - Is your husband able to tolerate oats? the newer research says that pure oats are OK for most people. I eat a big bowl of oatmeal each morning, and that gives me a good amount of fiber. Try ground up seeds/nuts in flour (such as almond flour). I eat my burgers bunless (don't need the extra calories), but maybe you could try the sandwich rolls that I posted in this forum yesterday....they're a little small for a burger, but you can just make them bigger. They have a lot of eggs and oil, and are very moist. Good luck. Sara

Pinned: Sandwich Roll Recipe (sorry I don't know how to get this to link directly!)
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#20 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hi GFdoc,

I have heard that pure oatmeal is okay for most people. Who are the 'most people" (I am Gluten Sensitive) Does McCann's oatmeal qualify as pure? If not, where does one find pure oatmeal?

Thanks ahead of time!

#21 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:11 AM

DebMidge, If you have Hagman's first book, "The Gluten Free Gourmet", there is a recipe for Tapioca bread on page 61. It uses rice flour and tapioca flour and makes wonderful hamburger buns. I use English muffin rings on a cookie sheet to make my hamburger buns and her recipe works out perfectly, toasts up really well and does not crumble. Even my gluten free, non Celiac husband likes them. Shirley

#22 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:45 AM

Tammy - My sources at the Univ. Of Chicago Celiac Program told me oats are OK for people with Celiac. There are people with Celiac who say that oats make them ill - maybe they are super sensitive or have additional food intolerances.

I've seen people on the Board say McCann's Oatmeal is gluten-free, I use Quaker Oats (when I called the company I was satisfied with the response they gave me, and I use them with no obvious negative effect - we'll see what my antibody follow up tests show )

When I need oat flour for a recipe, I grind my own from the plain Quaker Oats tub -
I don't buy or eat any premade foods that contain oats or oat products - because we don't know how those oats were processed.
I would try out eating oats for a while and see if you notice any ill effects (maybe check with your doctor first)
Sara

#23 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:21 AM

I had McAnns oatmeal right before I had the rebiopsy and they said everything was fine after the oats ans Quaker oats i have not gotten sick from
Molly

#24 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:15 AM

JoAnn, Yes, the recipe was from Lyn Rae Ries's book. Does your library offer an inner library loan system? Whenever I can't find a book at my library I go to the desk and they look in their computer in the network of libraries that they belong to. They then request to borrow a book from the library that has one in stock. It has almost never failed me. Yes, I tried the Karens Amaranth bread. It went into the trash can. It smelled really bad and tasted worse. I'm going to try the challah bread that someone posted - it sounds like it will be good. Jenni

#25 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:28 PM

Jenni, our local library finally located a copy of Lyn Rae Rie's book, but they want $10 just to loan it out. Is there a plain white bread recipe in it that you have found makes a good bread? The last mix I used was Bob's Red Mill white bread, but my grandson didn't like the bean & sorgham flour taste, and I can't blame him. Hate to buy a book for one recipe. He just wants a white bread for school sandwiches. Asked him about the cheese bread, but he didn't think that sounded very good to him. You know how kids can be! Appreciate finding out the Amranth Bread wasn't good before trying that one. If anyone has any good ideas. I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks! Jo Ann

#26 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:19 PM

Hi Jo Ann - try my Challah (egg bread) recipe - it's soft and great for sandwiches. It uses rice flour, almond meal, tapioca and cornstarch. Look for it in the Kosher and gluten-free section of this recipe forum.

#27 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:51 AM

Hi All
I do have the B. Hagman book. Sounds like it'll make good rolls. Husband is new to celiac disease and is afraid to try pure oats this soon. Maybe as he feels better.
I'll look for Sara's receipe too on other post. I'm still searching for corn bran that's gluten-free.

I make him a cornbread that uses all gluten-free: corn meal, corn flour (which is the key to it), tapoica starch, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, oil, egg, milk and some ground flaxseed. Let me know if anyone wants proportions. Must be baked 325 degrees for about 50 minutes, however, I found this gave the best results.
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#28 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:28 AM

I would love to have your entire recipe. I've been trying to find a good cornbread recipe.

#29 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:01 PM

Sure thing!

Use 8" round pan...haven't tried any other size or shape. I had a problem at first as the batter was too "wet" and it sunk after I removed it from the oven (like a souffle!) . I had to reduce the wet ingredients a little at a time & reduce oven temp and increase baking time to get the proper consistency.

Grease and corn flour pan

You'll need:

1 large wire wisk, spatula with butter knife
2 large bowls
Fork
various measuring spoons/measuring cup

:)

2 eggs, beaten lightly with fork
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup corn flour (purchased thru Celiac.com gluten-free Mall)
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup tapoica starch (EnerG Brand)
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder
1/4 Cup Flaxseed(Optional /Or more or less depending on your taste)
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 cup whole milk

Mix all dry ingredients separately in large bowl. In separate large bowl mix liquid ingredients. Add liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients in small amounts, blending well with wisk after each addition. The batter gets very stiff and this is OK. You'll need the rubber spatula to scape the batter from the sides of the bowl occasionally and the butter knife can be used to scrape off the wisk and spatula.

When all wet & dry are combined turn the batter into the 8" pan. Bake low oven temp @ 325 degrees for about 52 minutes or so.

I usually cheat by putting the dry ingredients in a large gallon size zip lock plastic bag. When all dry are in, I zip it closed all the way, and then mush the bag up to mix the dry ingredients up. I then use a scissors and snip off the corner of the bag and as I stir the wet ingredients, I let the flour mixuture pour slowly from the open corner of the bag. This way I only have to use one bowl.

I once poured the liquid ingredients into the dry IN the plastic bag and zipped it and combined it up in the bag. Then I snipped the corner off and squeezed it into the 8" pan like a pastry bag.

I made this receipe up because my husband needed something to have with his lunch.

If you don't want the flaxseed then there's no need to add it.

Much luck with the receipe. :D

Debbie
Now has lymphadema 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: