- - - - -

Lower Back Pain

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maybird85_*

Guest_maybird85_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:00 AM

i have been having excruciating lower back pain ever since i have been 8 or 9. it has been unexplained and jst ignored by my docs and now that i am slightly suspecting celiac i was wondering if it could be related.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 feeling special

feeling special

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:36 AM

i have been having excruciating lower back pain ever since i have been 8 or 9.  it has been unexplained and jst ignored by my docs and now that i am slightly suspecting celiac i was wondering if it could be related.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you know if you have food intolerances such as wheat, rye, baley and oats which is celiacs or to presevatives theses are the top reasons i get lower back pain, going gluten free has helped me tremendously and getting rid of all preservatives especially bht, sodiun nitrite and sodium nitrate, edta, monosodium glutemate.

#3 watkinson

watkinson

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hi Maybird85,
I started having lower back pain when I was around 12 or 13. It got worse and worse as the years went on untill it was excruciating every day. After discovering I was a celiac, I learned that because of malabsorbtion of calcium, that I had a condition called osteomalacia (I think that's how it's spelled). It is basically microscopic malformation of the bones. Even tiny fractuers. It's like osteoperosis. Good news...After going gluten-free it started to get better. :) I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years now, and I can say that my back pain is basically gone. :D I still will feel it if I over excersise, or do too much work, but I think a regular person would feel that too.

I would recommend that you take a good multi vitamin that obviously includes calcium. Up your intake of dairy (unless you are lactose intlerant) eat calcium rich foods like, spinach and broccoli. Also start doing resistance escersises. Lift weights ect. It will hurt at first but will aid in the healing and bone growth.

Good luck, Wendy

#4 GFNC

GFNC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

I have just recently been diagnosed with Celiac and along with the typical symptoms, I have had terrible back pain also. I have never had back pain until the Celiac symptoms started. My doctor has keeps telling me that I must have hurt my back doing something. However, I keep telling him that I think it is related to the Celiac because it started at the exact same time the Celiac symptoms started. Sorry to hear you have back pain also, but I'm glad to finally hear that I am not the only one with something like this. The usual stomach problems have imroved since going gluten free, but I hope the back problems will start to improve soon. I'll post back here if I learn anything more. Good luck.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:35 AM

while there may be a correlation, there isn't a lot of study on the link. besides investigating that link, if you haven't been seen specifically by an orthopaedist, and been evaluated by at least two physical therapists, I would encourage you to do so. I have issues with my sacroilliac joint that by orthopaedist, good doctor though he is, didn't quite pick up on, but the physical therapist he sent me to did. (it's a subtle thing, where one joint "sticks" a bit, causing the movement in the other joint (which is slight even when it works properly) to be strained. definitely not something that would be picked up on by a standard exam or an x-ray.) physical therapists are primarily there to help us *fix* the problems that doctors find, but they've got a wide range of functional experience with the bodies of many people.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

I used to have a chronic, dull pain in my lower back. I don't know if it is celiac related because I used to be very overwight and that was celiac related. Since I went gluten-free and lost the weight the back pain is gone. Seems to me there were some other posts asking the same question so there could be some link.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: