Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New To Celiac, Now Pregnant. Overwhelmed!

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 hspichke

hspichke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

As some of you may know, I found out that I had celiac disease about a month ago. I had a positive tTg test which was followed by a positive celiac panel (I don't know the specific test names). Funny thing is I had a upper endoscopy scheduled for last friday, I had to cancel last min due to scheduling conflicts. This stressed me out because I wanted to start the gluten free diet but the Dr wanted a formal diagnosis. I rescheduled for this coming friday, but found out yesterday that I was pregnant. I also just found out a few months ago that I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Now I am panicking because I will now be switching to a gluten free diet and dealing with the first months of pregnancy at the same time. I also have a almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old son. I feel overwhelmed and scared. I guess I am just looking for anyone who has been through this!
Asthma, Hyperthyroidism (After childbirth), Endometriosis, Migraines with aura, Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, Celiac Disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I feel for you, although I haven't been through it myself. There is a silver lining here though, since so many women with celiac/gluten intolerance have issues with getting pregnant.

That said, going gluten-free is challenging. Try to get as much support as you can within your healthcare system. You may be able to see a nutritionist, for example. Especially when you're pregnant, you'll need to work extra hard to make sure you get enough nutrition in your diet. Luckily, a gluten-free diet can and should include fresh fruits, veggies, and meats, which are the best things we can eat for ourselves as humans anyway. If possible, you may even want to see a therapist in the short term if you feel very overwhelmed. Having two young kids and being pregnant is already pretty intense, and now you're dealing with significant health issues too.

Please join us in the cooking/baking section, if you're inclined. I've learned a lot from other folks on the board about putting together a gluten-free diet, so that at this point it actually feels easy and natural. And I do think we eat better than most Americans. So our kids will all grow up healthy and with healthier eating habits. I read recently that there's evidence now that babies actually pick up taste sensitivities while in the womb and breast feeding. If you're eating lots of good whole foods, your baby will end up liking good, nutritious foods. That's definitely a good thing.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

#3 Bellanovia

Bellanovia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

As some of you may know, I found out that I had celiac disease about a month ago. I had a positive tTg test which was followed by a positive celiac panel (I don't know the specific test names). Funny thing is I had a upper endoscopy scheduled for last friday, I had to cancel last min due to scheduling conflicts. This stressed me out because I wanted to start the gluten free diet but the Dr wanted a formal diagnosis. I rescheduled for this coming friday, but found out yesterday that I was pregnant. I also just found out a few months ago that I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Now I am panicking because I will now be switching to a gluten free diet and dealing with the first months of pregnancy at the same time. I also have a almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old son. I feel overwhelmed and scared. I guess I am just looking for anyone who has been through this!

right there with you. 9 Weeks pregnant, diagnosed two weeks ago. Two toddlers in the house. Totally overwhelmed and an emotional mess.

#4 lefteyeislazy

lefteyeislazy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

I am in the same boat. Found out last week about the celiac, and I am 16 weeks pregnant with a toddler. We can do it!!

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

There must be something in the water :rolleyes: or spring is in the air :D Congrats, all.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009