20 replies to this topic

#1 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

It dawned on me today I am no longer losing CHUNKS of hair everyday like I have for the past 10 years! I also shedded hair like crazy, where my friends always noted how much hair I had on my clothes!

Where I used to pull lose hairs after combing I would get like a 1/2" chunk now I am less than 1/16"!!

Its a huge difference, I may notice a stray hair or two on my shirt during the day...instead of having to go and take off my sweater in the bathroom and de-hair the back of it because there was so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

Mine is improving too. Not as much in the brush and it seems healthier. Small victories. :)
Gluten Free since 2010

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

I am so happy for you! :) and you too, Diane!

I am slowly getting some hair to grow back in. I suffered major hair loss and it was very upsetting for me. (my hair was never thick anyway, but this shedding became ridiculous--I was going bald.)

It is always good to hear when a fellow celiac tells me "it comes back!", so thank you so much for posting! Your news is encouraging!!!

Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Diane and MeeToo, what do you think was the answer for your hair loss?
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi A!! (IH is waving at you!)

I suspect they will tell us "time and healing" :) and better absorption of nutrients/vitamins-- but let's see if there is any other magic we are missing. I have covered all my bases (testing wise and vit def. wise) and so I know it's nothing else.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Congrats! I didn't have hair loss as a symptom but I did notice just this morning that my fingernails are no longer flaking and tearing like they used to, they are much much stronger than they used to be and they are growing much faster. So cool!

#7 Metoo

Metoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

I don't know...I am guessing just gluten-free. I am at about 9 weeks gluten free. Maybe being gluten-free has helped me raise my vitamin D levels further. I know up until going gluten free I was still having crushing fatigue problems (my low vit D symptom)...which have slowly resolved.

Previously last April I was diagnosed with severe Vit D defiecency and I noticed a difference in increasing my level to a 'normal' level...but I just had less major loss of hair, but I was still losing it just at a slower rate.

#8 Metoo

Metoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

I don't know...I am guessing just gluten-free. I am at about 9 weeks gluten free. Maybe being gluten-free has helped me raise my vitamin D levels further. I know up until going gluten free I was still having crushing fatigue problems (my low vit D symptom)...which have slowly resolved.

Previously last April I was diagnosed with severe Vit D defiecency and I noticed a difference in increasing my level to a 'normal' level...but I just had less major loss of hair, but I was still losing it just at a slower rate.

I am still taking 6000 units of vitamin D per day if you were curious. Its supposed to be my maintenance dose since I was so low, and was back up to normal in July.

#9 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think it is because I am finally absorbing vitamins and nutrients.
Gluten Free since 2010

#10 granolagal

granolagal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

CONGRATS!!! That's so amazing! I really really hope I can post that same thing one day. I've got about 1/4 of my hair left. It's really bad. I'm keeping the faith that it will come back. I've just got to give it time (I'm only 3 weeks gluten-free).

Anyway, like others have said, I just wanted to say CONGRATS and thanks for helping give me hope!!!

#11 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Great news! I noticed last weekend that an area on the top of my head (the crown area, near the back) which has been pretty thin for ages, and which I didn't attribute to Celiac or gluten at all, has started to fill in. I've been gluten-free for about 10 weeks or so, and have sporadically taken some probiotics and vitamins and try to eat some veggies on a regular basis, etc. I also avoid soy.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#12 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm still losing about the same amount, BUT in the last week I noticed all these little hairs growing in around my hairline. They are between 1/8-1/2" long! I've been gluten free since the end of October.

On another thread, someone mentioned Biosil and zinc tablets for hair loss and I started taking those about 6 weeks ago. I think that those supplements combined with going gluten free has really helped my hair start to fill in.

#13 looking for info

looking for info

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'm still losing about the same amount, BUT in the last week I noticed all these little hairs growing in around my hairline. They are between 1/8-1/2" long! I've been gluten free since the end of October.

On another thread, someone mentioned Biosil and zinc tablets for hair loss and I started taking those about 6 weeks ago. I think that those supplements combined with going gluten free has really helped my hair start to fill in.

I'm soo happy for you...It's wonderful and give me hope that the hair loss will stop and heal...I've been worried for some time that the hair loss was permanent :(...I had really thick long hair and now (like others) it seems to be thinning and falling out...Congrats...its always nice to hear the possitives :)...thank you for sharing

#14 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

My hair came back in thick and curly, and I can grow fingernails now that I have to cut short instead of having them break off. :)

#15 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

oh wow! thanks for this info! I am happy to learn that my hair may become healthier again!! And that my lifelong fingernail problems may end, or at least maybe on a gluten-free diet my fingernails and hair may get healthier! There is good news to be found in all of this!
I was diagnosed just a couple of months ago, and am still struggling to get gluten completely out of my diet.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: