This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

A Positive I Noticed!

Metoo

Metoo Enthusiast

It dawned on me today I am no longer losing CHUNKS of hair everyday like I have for the past 10 years! I also shedded hair like crazy, where my friends always noted how much hair I had on my clothes!

Where I used to pull lose hairs after combing I would get like a 1/2" chunk now I am less than 1/16"!!

Its a huge difference, I may notice a stray hair or two on my shirt during the day...instead of having to go and take off my sweater in the bathroom and de-hair the back of it because there was so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Mine is improving too. Not as much in the brush and it seems healthier. Small victories. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am so happy for you! :) and you too, Diane!

I am slowly getting some hair to grow back in. I suffered major hair loss and it was very upsetting for me. (my hair was never thick anyway, but this shedding became ridiculous--I was going bald.)

It is always good to hear when a fellow celiac tells me "it comes back!", so thank you so much for posting! Your news is encouraging!!!

Cheers, IH

AVR1962 Collaborator

Diane and MeeToo, what do you think was the answer for your hair loss?

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi A!! (IH is waving at you!)

I suspect they will tell us "time and healing" :) and better absorption of nutrients/vitamins-- but let's see if there is any other magic we are missing. I have covered all my bases (testing wise and vit def. wise) and so I know it's nothing else.

BabsV Enthusiast

Congrats! I didn't have hair loss as a symptom but I did notice just this morning that my fingernails are no longer flaking and tearing like they used to, they are much much stronger than they used to be and they are growing much faster. So cool!

Metoo Enthusiast

I don't know...I am guessing just gluten-free. I am at about 9 weeks gluten free. Maybe being gluten-free has helped me raise my vitamin D levels further. I know up until going gluten free I was still having crushing fatigue problems (my low vit D symptom)...which have slowly resolved.

Previously last April I was diagnosed with severe Vit D defiecency and I noticed a difference in increasing my level to a 'normal' level...but I just had less major loss of hair, but I was still losing it just at a slower rate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Metoo Enthusiast

I don't know...I am guessing just gluten-free. I am at about 9 weeks gluten free. Maybe being gluten-free has helped me raise my vitamin D levels further. I know up until going gluten free I was still having crushing fatigue problems (my low vit D symptom)...which have slowly resolved.

Previously last April I was diagnosed with severe Vit D defiecency and I noticed a difference in increasing my level to a 'normal' level...but I just had less major loss of hair, but I was still losing it just at a slower rate.

I am still taking 6000 units of vitamin D per day if you were curious. Its supposed to be my maintenance dose since I was so low, and was back up to normal in July.

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I think it is because I am finally absorbing vitamins and nutrients.

granolagal Apprentice

CONGRATS!!! That's so amazing! I really really hope I can post that same thing one day. I've got about 1/4 of my hair left. It's really bad. I'm keeping the faith that it will come back. I've just got to give it time (I'm only 3 weeks gluten-free).

Anyway, like others have said, I just wanted to say CONGRATS and thanks for helping give me hope!!!

ciamarie Rookie

Great news! I noticed last weekend that an area on the top of my head (the crown area, near the back) which has been pretty thin for ages, and which I didn't attribute to Celiac or gluten at all, has started to fill in. I've been gluten-free for about 10 weeks or so, and have sporadically taken some probiotics and vitamins and try to eat some veggies on a regular basis, etc. I also avoid soy.

bumblebee-carnival Newbie

I'm still losing about the same amount, BUT in the last week I noticed all these little hairs growing in around my hairline. They are between 1/8-1/2" long! I've been gluten free since the end of October.

On another thread, someone mentioned Biosil and zinc tablets for hair loss and I started taking those about 6 weeks ago. I think that those supplements combined with going gluten free has really helped my hair start to fill in.

looking for info Rookie

I'm still losing about the same amount, BUT in the last week I noticed all these little hairs growing in around my hairline. They are between 1/8-1/2" long! I've been gluten free since the end of October.

On another thread, someone mentioned Biosil and zinc tablets for hair loss and I started taking those about 6 weeks ago. I think that those supplements combined with going gluten free has really helped my hair start to fill in.

I'm soo happy for you...It's wonderful and give me hope that the hair loss will stop and heal...I've been worried for some time that the hair loss was permanent :(...I had really thick long hair and now (like others) it seems to be thinning and falling out...Congrats...its always nice to hear the possitives :)...thank you for sharing

Takala Enthusiast

My hair came back in thick and curly, and I can grow fingernails now that I have to cut short instead of having them break off. :)

jeanzdyn Apprentice

oh wow! thanks for this info! I am happy to learn that my hair may become healthier again!! And that my lifelong fingernail problems may end, or at least maybe on a gluten-free diet my fingernails and hair may get healthier! There is good news to be found in all of this!

I was diagnosed just a couple of months ago, and am still struggling to get gluten completely out of my diet.

lucky28 Explorer

Hi, I just wanted to say that I too have noticed that I have MUCH less hair in the bottom of the tub after I shower! I also noticed, just this morning that i have new hair growing in around my temple area! It's about 1/2 inch long! Good to see some positive results!

bumblebee-carnival Newbie

I'm soo happy for you...It's wonderful and give me hope that the hair loss will stop and heal...I've been worried for some time that the hair loss was permanent :(...I had really thick long hair and now (like others) it seems to be thinning and falling out...Congrats...its always nice to hear the possitives :)...thank you for sharing

Thank you! Seriously, try the Biosil and zinc. Completely without exaggeration, after FIVE days my eye lashes were noticeably longer. Really it was that fast! The head hair has a longer growth cycle so it's taken longer to see results on my scalp. But it's starting to visibly fill now. I didn't even realize my eyebrows had thinned and they have even thickened up. I keep my nails short (to just the tops of my fingers) and they are growing like crazy, too.

((((hugs))) cause I know how it sucks to see all that hair in the drain. But I have faith that yours will come back too! :-)

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you! Seriously, try the Biosil and zinc.

This must be why the online sources of BioSil are sold out.

Seriously, try finding it! Word of mouth from satisfied customers has made it nearly impossible to find.

The celiacs are all buying up the bottles. :lol:

looking for info Rookie

Thank you! Seriously, try the Biosil and zinc. Completely without exaggeration, after FIVE days my eye lashes were noticeably longer. Really it was that fast! The head hair has a longer growth cycle so it's taken longer to see results on my scalp. But it's starting to visibly fill now. I didn't even realize my eyebrows had thinned and they have even thickened up. I keep my nails short (to just the tops of my fingers) and they are growing like crazy, too.

((((hugs))) cause I know how it sucks to see all that hair in the drain. But I have faith that yours will come back too! :-)

aww...thank you...ill be trying to find some Biosil this weekend.. :) Hugs.... :)

Avalon451 Apprentice

That is great news! My 3 daughters and I were just diagnosed, and we start our gluten-free diet soon. I was mystified by hair loss in my younger two. My middle daughter, especially, had handfuls come out every time I combed, a few years ago, but that symptom came and went. The 9-year-old has almost waist-length hair, but whenever I comb it after a bath, I end up with a whole handful to throw away. I hope it grows back for them, and for me (perpetually super-thin hair!) I had no idea this was a symptom till all my recent research.

love2travel Mentor

Although this did not happen to me, I would like to add my congratulations. What an awesome result! I rejoice with you and can feel your happiness. :)

Archived