This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Trying Gluten-Free Way

corky21

corky21 Newbie

Hello,

I was not diagnosed with celiac. I was blood tested two years ago and it was negative. I don't have diarrhea or BM problems, in fact, very normal and regular, better than when I was younger. I do have hiatus hernia and stage II esophagitis. I've tried numerous remedies, all failed. I've been on PPI medicines for over 15 years.

I decided to try GL to see if that is what is causing my continous acid reflux when I don't take a PPI pill.

It's now 7 days of no Gluten, I have all GL products in the home, and yet I continue to get acid reflux.

I've read that most people with gluten intolerance have lower abdominal problems, but I don't have that. I have no skin issues, or other problems other than I have Hashimoto's disease and take natural thyroid hormone.

I will keep at this for a few more weeks, but how long before I'll know if going gluten-free is not helping?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Is your thyroid supplement gluten free ? Everything needs to be, for this to work.

vb10 Newbie

Hello,

I was not diagnosed with celiac. I was blood tested two years ago and it was negative. I don't have diarrhea or BM problems, in fact, very normal and regular, better than when I was younger. I do have hiatus hernia and stage II esophagitis. I've tried numerous remedies, all failed. I've been on PPI medicines for over 15 years.

I decided to try GL to see if that is what is causing my continous acid reflux when I don't take a PPI pill.

It's now 7 days of no Gluten, I have all GL products in the home, and yet I continue to get acid reflux.

I've read that most people with gluten intolerance have lower abdominal problems, but I don't have that. I have no skin issues, or other problems other than I have Hashimoto's disease and take natural thyroid hormone.

I will keep at this for a few more weeks, but how long before I'll know if going gluten-free is not helping?

Everybody has different symptoms. Some people don't even have the symptoms while being gluten intolerant.

Do you want to know what my symptoms are? I am very very tired all the time. Like totally exhausted. Palpitations at night. Restless sleep. Night sweats. Heartburn. Hair loss. Fragile nails.

That's what I had. Nobody in the million years could have guessed I am gluten intolerant. If I were you, I would also stop eating any spices, grains and legumes. That will give you a better picture of whether you are gluten intolerant or not.

corky21 Newbie

Everybody has different symptoms. Some people don't even have the symptoms while being gluten intolerant.

Do you want to know what my symptoms are? I am very very tired all the time. Like totally exhausted. Palpitations at night. Restless sleep. Night sweats. Heartburn. Hair loss. Fragile nails.

That's what I had. Nobody in the million years could have guessed I am gluten intolerant. If I were you, I would also stop eating any spices, grains and legumes. That will give you a better picture of whether you are gluten intolerant or not.

I also had palpitations at times, but I chalked those up to menopause. I'm on bio estrogen and haven't had any palps for awhile. I also had restless sleep, but again, I think the bio estrogen and progesterone may be helping as well as some 5HTP. I also have had some hair loss and very thin nails, that for awhile had the oddest appearance. When i asked my doctors about my nails, they had nothing to offer. But now, again, while on thyroid hormone for awhile, they are still thin, but healthier.

I'll check the thyroid hormone, I didn't thing of that. I also take a lot of vitamins, so I should check those too I suppose.

As for spices, why those? And all grains, would that be rice too? I thought all the gluten-free products had rice, or quinoa, should I stay away from all that as well?

TY

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Also be aware that going off of long term use of PPIs can cause a rebound effect. It may take a bit of time for that to resolve. When you say you are GL do you mean gluten light rather than gluten free? If we need to be gluten free we have to be gluten free completely for it to help.

corky21 Newbie

Also be aware that going off of long term use of PPIs can cause a rebound effect. It may take a bit of time for that to resolve. When you say you are GL do you mean gluten light rather than gluten free? If we need to be gluten free we have to be gluten free completely for it to help.

Sorry meant gluten-free. I;m going to try it for a month or so. I think i would notice by then if my burning goes, so far it's been 8 days, no gluten, and i am still with acid reflux, but i do have hiatus hernia and some some esophagitis, so not sure if it's just that and not gluten, but i'm going to give it a few weeks.

corky21 Newbie

I was taking vitamins for nails and hair. It stopped the hair loss, but my vitamins were just masking the symptoms. My palpitations and night sweats went away after the first month on the Paleo diet (no gluten and no grains).

Rice does not have gluten, you are correct. However, there is a thing called cross-reactivity. Do you know why most gluten sensitive people develop lactose intolerance after going gluten-free? Because lactose has a structure similar to gluten and the body thinks it is gluten and attacks it as such.

So I would eliminate all grains and potatoes, because the structure is similar to make sure you do not have cross-reactivity. After a week on this diet you will either feel the difference or not. If you do not feel it, go back to gluten free grains, legumes and everything else. If you feel the difference, I would suggest to stay on this diet. It will help you to answer the question - how long before you know it. Also, just so you know, most shampoos, soaps and make up have gluten. Make sure to use gluten-free while you are trying to figure out what you have.

I found that many different spices and even table salt have additives to prevent clumping. They don't even list them on the ingredients!

Oh, and Hashimoto is closely related to gluten - most autoimmune diseases go together.

Good luck! By the way, you sound gluten intolerant to me!!! :rolleyes:

ouch, potatoes, rice? those are my favs, that I thought were gluten free. I don't know if i can eliminate those as well, but I'll give it a week. I didn't know makeup and shampoos could effect as well. I was also thinking of stopping my supplements for a few days too. I have osteopenia and take cal/mag/D/K, and also HTP for sleep and mood, multi, and some joint support, maybe the vitamins are an irritant? Then again, I hate to stop more than one thing, b/c then I won't know, right? So maybe just the gluten for a few weeks, and if no change, then I'll stop the supplements, and then if no change, maybe I need to stop my bio HRT, then if no change, maybe i have to raise my thyroid dose? It can be many things, or just my hiatus hernia and esophagitis alone.

THank you for the kind advice. Today I bought some more gluten-free products, some cookies were very good, and right now I'm having a chicken sandwich on corn tortilla instead of my favorite rosemary and wheat wrap. :P

So far it's about 10 days, and it hasn't been too difficult, but i'm sort of just eating the same things until i know for sure if it's Gluten. I still have the stomach issue, but as of 1:30 today, after some yogurt and gluten-free cereal topping, and no vitamins, no burning yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

ouch, potatoes, rice? those are my favs, that I thought were gluten free.

They are gluten-free, hon. :)

Give yourself some time. Healing does not always happen within a week or so.

Best wishes, IH

Darn210 Enthusiast

Corky,

Rice and Potatos are fine.

A gluten free diet is not the same as the Paleo diet. If you want to try gluten free, then try gluten free. If you want to try Paleo, then I suggest researching it first and deciding if it has any benifits for you. You don't have to take the suggestions of someone (including me) off of a forum such as this.

Now, if you want to try gluten free, then you need to make sure everything that you are ingesting is gluten free. . . including meds/supplements as you have been made aware.

AS far as shampoo & soap goes, you'll see different opinions on this board. If you do a good job of not getting soap or shampoo in your mouth when you shower, you don't need for them to be gluten free. I stock gluten free at my house just because I have no idea what my daughter is doing in the tub for so long . . . she could be swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving and chances are, she's swallowing some soapy water.

Makeup? You should make sure your lipstick/gloss is gluten free.

Also, I don't know that most products have gluten in them, you just have to be aware of which products do and which products don't. We use Dove or Suave or Garnier Fructis in this house.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I've been on PPI medicines for over 15 years.

Ravenwoodglass makes a good point. Did you stop your PPI meds cold turkey? I don't know what is the right way to do this. Maybe someone with experience with PPI's could chime in. Would cutting the dose in half and tapering off be better?

IrishHeart Veteran

As for spices, why those? And all grains, would that be rice too? I thought all the gluten-free products had rice, or quinoa, should I stay away from all that as well?

Spices --McCormick's are gluten free---just READ the labels.

And quinoa is gluten-free, too.

Roda Rising Star

I wouldn't be to discouraged about the reflux not resolving just yet. You have been on PPI's for a very long time. Did you taper off of them or cut them out cold turkey? Tapering is better so you don't get the rebound effect that raven was talking about. Some people have to continue to take them until they heal after going gluten free. Eventally a lot of people are able to discontinue them after some time.

Celtic Queen Explorer
I have osteopenia and take cal/mag/D/K, and also HTP for sleep and mood, multi, and some joint support, maybe the vitamins are an irritant?

Don't forget to make sure your supplements are gluten free.

IrishHeart Veteran

I wouldn't be to discouraged about the reflux not resolving just yet. You have been on PPI's for a very long time. .. Eventally a lot of people are able to discontinue them after some time.

I agree. This was my experience. It just took time, but now, I have no need for them--or for any GI-distress type med/supplements--at all.

My Mom --same experience. :)

corky21 Newbie

Ravenwoodglass makes a good point. Did you stop your PPI meds cold turkey? I don't know what is the right way to do this. Maybe someone with experience with PPI's could chime in. Would cutting the dose in half and tapering off be better?

no last year my doctor said to take one every two days, then if no burning, every 3 or 4 days, i could never get past 2 or 3 days and i'd have to take a pill. now i'm taking pepcid's as needed, sometimes it's every day.

i suppose i will have to return to the gastro md and tell him.

kitgordon Explorer

Do you drink soda or seltzer? My sister's reflux went away when she gave up carbonated beverages - might be worth a shot?

mcat1234 Newbie

Perhaps there are other culprits. I found out a few years ago that using Splenda aka sucralose greatly bothers my acid reflux. I ran out of it and did without for awhile and noticed that my acid reflux was doing much better without it. I am always surprised by the products that include it as an ingredient. Many juices include it and they aren't even labeled as diet or light.

Also, if I use any aspirin my reflux acts up. Chocolate and ketchup bother me, too.

mushroom Proficient

Skylark, thank you for posting this link: Open Original Shared Link

I have never seen this before - don't know how I missed it.

Most of it is the way I normally eat, but there are some things added and others saken away :o I will have to study it more closely, but it is interesting that it is the stuff I have figured out for myself over the years to a great extent.

It may be of help to Corky21. :)

Gemini Experienced
Rice does not have gluten, you are correct. However, there is a thing called cross-reactivity. Do you know why most gluten sensitive people develop lactose intolerance after going gluten-free? Because lactose has a structure similar to gluten and the body thinks it is gluten and attacks it as such.

Rice is gluten free so there is no cross reactivity with it. The reason people become lactose intolerant with Celiac is because lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose, is produced in the tips of the villi and when they become damaged, you cannot produce it so you cannot digest milk. This can reverse itself in some people but not everyone has that experience. It has nothing to do with cross reactions.

Archived