Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Popcorn, Indiana Kettle Corn

25 posts in this topic

Saw this at Walgreen's.

Says gluten-free on the bag. No wheat in the facility.

Bought a bag of the Cinnamon Sugar. Not bad!

Ads by Google:

Love Popcorn Indiana! They have it at Walmart too.

Love Popcorn Indiana! They have it at Walmart too.

I thought that I might have gotten glutened from them. When I asked them...they said that they only test to 20ppm...which is still a level that i react to. When I questioned them further, they said that they only guarantee to 20ppm and wouldn't answer back on any more detailed info. Sad news for us who are very sensitive. I might test it again, but I react to all products that are 10ppm and up for contamination.

I thought that I might have gotten glutened from them. When I asked them...they said that they only test to 20ppm...which is still a level that i react to. When I questioned them further, they said that they only guarantee to 20ppm and wouldn't answer back on any more detailed info. Sad news for us who are very sensitive. I might test it again, but I react to all products that are 10ppm and up for contamination.

That is good to know, thank you. I had just bought a bag and was looking up the website info on their gluten free assurance quote but I don't think I'll be trying this. I can easily make my own kettle corn and would much rather do the work there than feel the pain now hehe.

I have no idea what ppm I show signs to but it's probably in your same area for the most part. Even a tooth pick in it's wrapper, if touched wrong or flavored will totally set me off. It's sad :(

I'm awfully sensitive to tiny amounts of cross contamination and I eat this popcorn often. They test to 20 ppm but that doesn't mean there is anywhere near that much in it, necessarily. Just my 2 cents :)

I have eaten it, too and I am a "trace CC --fast responder"...with no issues here.

Thought it was pretty tasty!!

In fact, I wrestled with hubs for the bag all night ... :)

I have eaten it, too and I am a "trace CC --fast responder"...with no issues here.

Are you just making up your own phrases, or is there an actual, accepted description like this?

Are you just making up your own phrases, or is there an actual, accepted description like this?

Whether there is an "actual, accepted description," or not, it is pretty clear what she means. She is sensitive to cross-contamination, and reacts in a short time.

Yes, Peter thanks, that's what I meant.

If there is trace CC in something, I would respond quickly with symptoms.

Just like Patti said she is --I am sensitive to cross contamination.

I thought it was self-explanatory :)

Whether there is an "actual, accepted description," or not, it is pretty clear what she means. She is sensitive to cross-contamination, and reacts in a short time.

I never said she was unclear, I was just curious if someone had categorized gluten responses and had come up with some sort of table of the most common groupings or something.

I never said she was unclear, I was just curious if someone had categorized gluten responses and had come up with some sort of table of the most common groupings or something.

Such a chart would be of interest to all of us, I expect. You are a scientist. I don't know how much spare time you have, but if you could investigate this, we would all benefit from the results.

From www.popcornindiana.com :

Is Popcorn, Indiana gluten free? Yes. Popcorn and other corn varieties are naturally free of gluten. Gluten is a protein typically found in barley, wheat, rye, their cross-breeds (triticale), and by-products such as flour and MSG. While none of our products contain any of these ingredients and popcorn is a gluten-free grain, we had a FDA-affiliated lab analyze our popcorn because we are very concerned about our customers. The test results found no traces of gluten using the AOAC/CODEX Certified R5 method at a 20 parts per million accuracy level.

So.. Out of concerns (the company's), they've found NO traces of gluten...none. They are only stating that the testing would "find" gluten with an accuracy of up to 20ppm. Pretty definitive, IMO.

It is my opinion that, to be safe, the company is merely ruling out any potential cross-pollination that could occur in the fields. The fact that they don't have to...well, that's even more in their favor. That's pretty darn responsible, IMO.

Coupled with the fact that NONE of their products contain gluten AND it is a dedicated facility? Oh and Non-GMO corn? I'd say their products are about as safe (from gluten) as you could hope to, possibly find.

If I was looking for a "commercial snack product"...I would RUN for the nearest bag.

I was just curious if someone had categorized gluten responses and had come up with some sort of table of the most common groupings or something.

Would probably have words most of us couldn't pronounce much less spell! :D

Did you win? ;)

Did you win? ;)

I let him win. ;)

Would probably have words most of us couldn't pronounce much less spell! :D

I must confess...when I first came here, it took me a bit to figure out what DH, DD, DS, etc meant (sometimes I'm still not all that sure of some of the abbreviations, if I'm honest.

So, if someone decides to use TCCFR...well, I'd be here from the conception! Just think how confident I'd feel! :)

And, Irish would get the credit of course...

TTCFR

:lol:

thanks, Justlisa

NO!!!! I can't handle all these abreviations!

And, Irish would get the credit of course...

Maybe you could come up with badges, or stars or sumpin', to see who can collect the most.

Maybe you could come up with badges, or stars or sumpin', to see who can collect the most.

But, then we'd have to come up with some sort of system for the party-pooper-negative-nelly types... Wouldn't want anyone to feel slighted... ;)

Good point, Karen... I was just being selfish... :)

But, then we'd have to come up with some sort of system for the party-pooper-negative-nelly types... Wouldn't want anyone to feel slighted... ;)

Why on earth would you want to do something to make someone unhappy? Life is difficult enough without deliberately handing out sadness.

Saw this at Walgreen's.

Says gluten-free on the bag. No wheat in the facility.

Bought a bag of the Cinnamon Sugar. Not bad!

Lots of responses to this. None of them disagree about the safety of this product. Nothing to see here folks, let's move on.

My family loves this popcorn. We have been eating for a long time. We buy the snack size bags at Sams Club in a case of 28 for something like 9$ or so. I love having the individual bags. The kids can grab one when we are running out the door to a friends or they have to go to a bday party or need a snack for something. It is super cheap at Sams Club. I have not seen it at Costco. They do not sell the big bags, at least not at our Sams Club. But the individual bags are very nice!

Enjoy!

The Chocolate Drizzle was insanely good but I can't find it any more.