#1 granolagal

granolagal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hello,

I'm going on vacation soon and our travel time to get to our destination is 17 hours. We have 3 flights (all in Canada and USA). I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what food I should bring in my carry-on? I'm worried about not finding things to eat at the airport. I was thinking of nuts, gluten-free granola bars...but I got stuck at that and that's not going to last me 17 hours!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hello,

I'm going on vacation soon and our travel time to get to our destination is 17 hours. We have 3 flights (all in Canada and USA). I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what food I should bring in my carry-on? I'm worried about not finding things to eat at the airport. I was thinking of nuts, gluten-free granola bars...but I got stuck at that and that's not going to last me 17 hours!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If you can do peanut butter try a pbj sandwich (gluten-free bread, of course) and apple.

Also, most airports list restaurants online, so try looking up the airport and the restaurants.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

I recently flew to Australia (14.5 hours), and I took those individual-sized containers of Jif peanut butter (I usually eat only organic PB, but I was desperate for protein!), boiled eggs, gluten-free crackers, sandwich bags containing olives and nuts, a package of salami, gluten-free Chex cereal, and See's chocolates (so I wouldn't feel so deprived). I also brought a few apples and cheese, and I just made sure that I ate the cheese, eggs, a salami within the first few hours of the flight.

However, if you'd like everything all nicely prepared, you can go to www.GoPicnic.com and check out their gluten-free packaged meals. They're pretty good.

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Like Rosetapper I have flown on several overseas long-haul flights with many layovers and delays. So, I take Kind bars, pepperoni sticks, homemade crackers, a bag of Skittles and falafel chips with little sample-sized Nutella and peanut butter. Oh, and Chex mix (with peanuts, etc.). Air Canada does serve gluten free meals on long-haul flights but they are downright yucky so I am always glad to have my snacks along. Oh, I forgot. Fruit leather is also great to take along. Easy to make, too. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Last time I traveled I had a few gopicnic meals. I bought 5 pack sets off of Amazon and packed some in my carry on and the rest in my checked bag (for the stay and return trip). Easy to eat on the go, not messy, and a good variety of food in each kit.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#6 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

GoPicnic is a good option - a few airports sell them at the news stores. Most airports have fruit/vegetable and cheese boxes at the food stands. I have seen various sizes/containers of peanut butter taken 3 times in the past year so it may not be 100% safe option anymore - I would think single serve tubs that you can put in your ziplock will pass though.

If you post the airports we can help you more.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#7 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

I've taken peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, Kind bars, chicken (I ate that first thing or you can freeze it for a long haul trip and let it thaw), small amounts of sliced hard cheeses, etc. Having protein is a big help! Also, crackers and/or something sweet for treats. I've packed everything either in ziploc bags in individual serving sizes or in tiny see-through plastic containers. I haven't had any trouble getting any of the items through security and was transiting through German airports which always seem to be really strict about what's in your carry-on. I was all ready to do battle and they didn't even ask why my carry on was half-full of food.

Whoops...also most airports do have fresh fruit and veg options plus nuts -- we were in Frankfurt and they had these great prepackaged cups full of fresh fruit and another of carrot sticks, etc. I just dumped the little package of dip that was included.

Edited by BabsV, 17 January 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#8 granolagal

granolagal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back here! The airports I'll be in are Chicago and Dallas. But my layovers are very short so I don't expect to have any time to eat in the airport restaurants. So I'm hoping to bring enough food with me so I don't have to worry about it. I don't think I'll do the "Go Picnic" because I'm a vegetarian and most of their meals have meat. Thanks for the tip though.

So I think I'll try...mini packs of peanut butter, apple, gluten-free crackers, almonds, maybe even some oatmeal ("Only Oats" of course) that I could heat up with some hot water. Maybe some kale chips and dried or deydrated fruit. (Oh ya, and maybe some chocolate too.... ;) )

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all of your ideas!

#9 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Caution: don't take for granted the gluten free meals and snacks from Air Canada. Read all the ingredients and ask for what is in your meal. I was given a snack with the main ingredient spelt but that didn't stop there. A flight attendant tried to convince me it was gluten free because their dietitician said so :o I wrote to Air Canada a long message after my arrival and they were happy I told them about the incident.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#10 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Like Rosetapper I have flown on several overseas long-haul flights with many layovers and delays. So, I take Kind bars, pepperoni sticks, homemade crackers, a bag of Skittles and falafel chips with little sample-sized Nutella and peanut butter. Oh, and Chex mix (with peanuts, etc.). Air Canada does serve gluten free meals on long-haul flights but they are downright yucky so I am always glad to have my snacks along. Oh, I forgot. Fruit leather is also great to take along. Easy to make, too. :)

Sample size Nutella!!!!! Where can I find that?
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#11 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Sample size Nutella!!!!! Where can I find that?

Look on that website that begins with an "A" that I think we're not allowed to mention here. They sell a pack of 24 single-serving packets of Nutella. :)

I used my zip lock bag to carry my peanut butter and nutella. I never carry on much in the way of cosmetic things, so all I had was a tiny tube of toothpaste, a small tube of vaseline for dry lips, and a small hand cream. The rest was peanut butter, nutella, and hummos (plus I had some in my checked bag.)

I took cheese, chicken, hardboiled eggs, fruit, nuts, lara bars, hummos, and veggies. That was for my trip to where I was going. I had also packed a couple of Gopicnics in my checked bag and I made sure to save one for coming home, plus nuts, fruit, pb. It worked out fine.

NEVER, NEVER depend on airline gluten free meals. omg... My morning "snack" one time was a dry rice cake. That was it. {gag} -- Although...I didn't think my neighbor's danish thing looked much better. In fact, I think she was jealous of my banana, pb, and egg. :lol:

#12 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am a fan of the GoPicnic meals, myself. Re-package them into a Ziploc, and I've never had problems with my gluten-free food thru security (including O'Hare... where we were the first people thru security the morning they started the "no liquids" rule and I got stuck for 20 minutes while they debated if a box of NutraGrain bars counted as a liquid because it had filling... I feel sorry for anyone who tried to go thru security that day, lol). I'll unpack one and stick it in my bag for travel, and will usually pack one in the luggage for the ride home. But single-serve, unopened "travel size" food has never caused me a problem.

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have never heard of GoPicnic. Thanks that that information. It will come in handy this summer. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 Melissa Palomo

Melissa Palomo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

I've just ordered some GoPicnic meals - I couldn't remember the name of them so yay for this thread! I love bringing "ready to eat" food with me when I travel so those are perfect.

I'm Melissa. I am 28, diagnosed in August 2008. I'm a photographer and a blogger, too. :)

#15 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hormel Naturals sliced luncheon meat. Naturally gluten free (look for brown/red boxes).

You can buy Yogurt at most airports (after security). Read label.

Cashews and other nuts.

Chips, power bars etc.

Some airports, baked potatoes are available.

ALWAYS have something, even if it's junkfood. Peanut M&M's have saved my life....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: