4 replies to this topic

#1 New Community Member

New Community Member

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi friends. I'm going to a new doctor to get a second opinion. I've been gluten free almost 5 months and am still experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms on a very strict gluten free diet. Some symptoms include extremely fatigued, rapid and irregular BM's and flatulence. This stinks. I'm grateful for any words of wisdom. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Have you been tested for dairy? soy? Corn?

#3 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Have you been tested for dairy? soy? Corn?

No, ma'am, I haven't. I've been off of dairy, too. I have wondered if it could be corn or eggs...not sure.

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

For the fatigue; have you had your iron and ferritin checked? How about your thyroid? Vitamin D? All of these can contribute/cause extreme fatigue.

As for the other symptoms things to consider: gallbladder problems, other food intolerences, SIBO, yeast, possible CC? Just food for thought.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Mamaw is right--other allergens could be additional culprits.

You should also look into possible additional sources of being trace glutened too. I had to stop using my oven since the self cleaning cycle did not work. I bought a largish dedicated toaster oven to replace it. I also had to stop using lip balm (I use petroleum jelly), change my lipstick, and change out all my soaps and lotions, including what I use to wash my floor with and dishes. I also had to start washing my hands a lot before putting them to my face since one can get trace gluten from shaking people's hands as well as from doorknobs etc. etc.

Finally, after much time, I discovered I am also salicylate sensitive. This is a huge category since salicylates are in a lot of fruits and vegetables as well as nuts, seeds and herbs (including spices). Much like aspirin, it protects the plants from the elements. It can mess with a person's intestines as well as the nervous system, liver and skin. It too damages the villi in the intestines (i.e., besides the gluten). Corn and coconut by the way are high in salicylates, whereas brown rice is safe. Am hoping you don't have this. Though if you do have this condition it is far better to know about it than not. If you decide to investigate this possibility, its best to drink spring water since filtered water usually filters through coconut based charcoal.

Might be best to keep a food diary and note how you feel before and after you eat. Taking your pulse before and after and then a couple of hours after you eat can also give you some good clues. Going on a simplified basic diet can help initially to make your determinations less complicated.

Go luck in your detective work!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: