Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Strawberry Muffins

9 posts in this topic

Mmmmm!! These are SO good. I adapted a recpie from Recipe-Zaar

2 cups gluten-free flour (2/3 cup potato starch, 2/3 cup rice flour, 2/3 cup potato flour)

2 tbsp baking powder

1 cup sugar (2/3 cup tastes great!)

2 cups chopped strawberries

2 eggs (or egg substitute?)

2/3-1 cup applesauce

1/2 cup milk substitute (Rice Dream works great for me!)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I added in:

4 Tablespoons of Rice Protein Powder for the added protein boost.

It makes 12 muffins.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Ads by Google:

sounds good...and lookin' low fat! i may try these tonight, and put a few blueberries in too. thnx for sharing!

Hi Jamie:

Rice Dream uses barley to process their Rice Dream milk. That's printed in tiny letters on the carton. Try another brand of rice milk, like Pacific or Lundberg. ;)

BURDEE

i used to have a list of what rice dream products were gluten-free...wonder if i can find it here...

here is rice dream's quote: Is Rice Dream Beverage a gluten free product?

No. Rice Dream Beverage is processed using a barley enzyme. Even though the barley enzyme is discarded after use, the final beverage might contain a minute residual amount (less than .002%) of barley protein. For a list of gluten free products click here.

i have always used either pacific, wild oats or whole foods brands b/c of this. i also got an e-mail from full circle this week saying their rice milk is gluten-free too.

here is the rice dream gluten-free list:

The following products are gluten free:

Soy Dream Non-Dairy Beverages

All varieties

Imagine Natural Organic Soups and Broths

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken

Power Dream Soy Energy Drinks

All varieties: Vanilla Blast, X-Treme Chocolate, Java Jolt, Sky High Chai, Mango Passion

Rice Dream Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts

Updated 6/12/02

The following varieties only:

Carob(Plain)-Pint, and Vanilla-Pints and Quarts

Cappuccino, Carob Almond, Cocoa Marble Fudge, Orange Vanilla Swirl, Strawberry, Neapolitan, Pralines n Dream

Soy Dream Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts

Pints & Quarts - all flavors except Chocolate Fudge Brownie Pint

Imagine Natural Puddings

All varieties

here is rice dream's quote:  Is Rice Dream Beverage a gluten free product?

No. Rice Dream Beverage is processed using a barley enzyme. Even though the barley enzyme is discarded after use, the final beverage might contain a minute residual amount (less than .002%) of barley protein. For a list of gluten free products click here.

i have always used either pacific, wild oats or whole foods brands b/c of this.  i also got an e-mail from full circle this week saying their rice milk is gluten-free too.

here is the rice dream gluten-free list:

The following products are gluten free:

Soy Dream Non-Dairy Beverages

All varieties

Imagine Natural Organic Soups and Broths

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken

Power Dream Soy Energy Drinks

All varieties: Vanilla Blast, X-Treme Chocolate, Java Jolt, Sky High Chai, Mango Passion

Rice Dream Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts

Updated 6/12/02

Carob(Plain)-Pint, and Vanilla-Pints and Quarts

Cappuccino, Carob Almond, Cocoa Marble Fudge, Orange Vanilla Swirl, Strawberry, Neapolitan, Pralines n Dream

Soy Dream Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts

Pints & Quarts - all flavors except Chocolate Fudge Brownie Pint

Imagine Natural Puddings

All varieties

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG, I have been using the Rice dream this whole time (all summer) since me and my daughter have gone gluten-free. Luckily in my daughters case she doesn't like it so she uses blue diamond almond vanilla drink.

Just when you think you are getting a hang of reading the labels. It does not list anything about the barley under the ingredients. But Jenvan you are right, I went back and looked at the package and sure enough, in small letters, it is on the back side of the package. :angry:

I sure hope the new labeling laws will help to clarify this crap?? Why can't it clearly be marked as having barley in it?

Bette-

I know...it can be so complicated!! And we all get surprises. Good thing you know now. Here are several gluten-free rice milks I've tried and liked: Wild Oats, Pacific, Full Circle, Whole Foods. They are all pretty good...my one compliant is that Pacific's has a bit of a mayo taste to me...but it is doable if its all that's available. I haven't tried Lundberg, but burdee mentioned that one too.

I didn't get those muffins made...but this week is the week. I am going on vacation next week, so I can freeze and take some along then.

Jen thanks for enlightning me ;) I think for now I will just stick to the almond drinks, in all honesty I did not favor the chalky like taste of the rice dream, but I thought they all tasted that way,anyways good luck with the strawberry muffin recipe and have fun on your travels.

Jamie thanks for posting the recipe, they sound yummy, I will try it. Since we can't use Rice dream (and I do not tolerate soy) I think I will try the almond milk for the subsitute. :P

I don't tolerate soy either. I am not actually a Celiac. I am just intolerant to gluten, so it's not a problem for me to use Rice Dream after all.

Sorry for claiming it to be gluten free though! Hopefully it works with a different kind of rice milk!